Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Choose me some kitchen knives

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 20:17 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Choose me some kitchen knives Reply with quote

Our knives are shit, they are "Joseph Joseph" and don't seem to hold an edge anymore.

I'm after a set any recommendations? We have a £50 Amazon Voucher so would rather buy from them. Budget no idea how much for semi decent ones? Looking for bang for my buck.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
Dremel > Grinding stone attachment = Ruined knives.

Fucking Idiot

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm into my cooking and have had a few sets, slowly increasing in value. The last ones I bought were these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Farberware-7-piece-Sharpening-Japanese-Stainless/dp/B076597TN2/ref=sr_1_11?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1518204365&sr=1-11&keywords=kitchen+knife+sets

So far they have been excellent but only had them since Christmas. I suspect the 'self sharpening' is a bit of a gimmick too.

Before I had a set of knives from Argos for under £30. They were OK but didn't keep an edge.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5234503 (I think)

I'm no expert but I would presume it's rather like HiFi. You get big jumps at the lower end of the market but the better you get, the smaller the improvement.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slowly collecting Robert Welch knives. I spent best of £50 just on a chef’s knife, but I use it all the time and it makes prep a doddle.

That said, whilst a Dremel can easily ruin your knives, a decent sharpener should get them back. I know real men use a wet stone, but you can just as quickly ruin a knife on those too.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:46 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been managing quite well with Kitchen Devils. Some seem to be cheaper quality than others though, so I suspect they do more than one range, quality-wise. My cook's knife has done me sterling service for years. Does need sharpening now and again, but have seen people whose idea of sharpening seems to be to take as much metal off as they can; it doesn't take much to bring back a good edge if you don't overdo it all the time.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, at the cooking experience place I go to, they say you really don’t need all the knives, just a good chef’s knife, a serrated bread knife and maybe a smaller general-purpose/paring knife. I rarely use anything other than my chef’s knife.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Also, at the cooking experience place I go to, they say you really don’t need all the knives, just a good chef’s knife, a serrated bread knife and maybe a smaller general-purpose/paring knife. I rarely use anything other than my chef’s knife.

Yup, that's about what I manage with, despite having a drawerful Rolling Eyes

Although I actually find a chef's knife OTT for cooking for one, hence the cook's knife I mentioned (smaller blade, typically - as far as I'm aware, anyway).
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victorinox knives are good. Reasonably inexpensive and good quality. Not very pretty though. Used by many pro chefs.

I like my Richardson Sheffield Sabatier chefs knife too, always shaving sharp but needs a run over the ceramic rod regularly. It was a cheap stand in but it's a cracking knife.

Ceramic rod is a great tool for keeping a good knife sharp. I use the Wusthof one (they also make good knives). Use one regularly and you'll very rarely need to sharpen them fully. My kitchen knives have yet to see my water stones. They are better than a steel as they actually take very small amounts of metal off instead of just realigning the edge like a steel does.

Consider whether you really need a full set though. A good chef''s knife, a paring knife and a bread knife will cover almost every task.

Never put a good knife in the dishwasher, especially one featuring carbon steel. Best stored on a magnetic rack or block, don't let them bang about a drawer.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:19 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victorinox and Sabatier are great. But if you can find a thin 4/6"-ish mild steel blade, give it a try.

I'm not being hipster-theoretical here. A couple of decades back, I bought a little antler-handled mild steel knife from an authenti-tinker for a lark. And despite having a rack full of various gifted techno-cutlery, it's still my daily go-to cooking utensil.

It's blackened with patina, the tip has corroded and been worked off, and it absolutely needs sharpening before and during use. But the edge that you can put on it beats anything else I've used, including a ceramic slicer ceremonially gifted by Kyocera-san in Nippon.

With an occasional wetstone grind and a regular snicker-snack down a sharpening steel, thin mild steel will cut through a can of tomatoes, then the Gordian Knot, then God.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:42 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using an IKEA knife for the last few years for most job in the kitchen. Just needs a few rubs with a steel every now and then to keep it sharp, the handle shape is great.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/knives-chopping-boards/v%C3%B6rda-cooks-knife-black-art-80289243/

Last edited by sensi5446 on 22:43 - 09 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:42 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Victorinox and Sabatier are great. But if you can find a thin 4/6"-ish mild steel blade, give it a try.

I'm not being hipster-theoretical here. A couple of decades back, I bought a little antler-handled mild steel knife from an authenti-tinker for a lark. And despite having a rack full of various gifted techno-cutlery, it's still my daily go-to cooking utensil.

It's blackened with patina, the tip has corroded and been worked off, and it absolutely needs sharpening before and during use. But the edge that you can put on it beats anything else I've used, including a ceramic slicer ceremonially gifted by Kyocera-san in Nippon.

With an occasional wetstone grind and a regular snicker-snack down a sharpening steel, thin mild steel will cut through a can of tomatoes, then the Gordian Knot, then God.

Unless it can cut through to other worlds I'm not interested.

I don't want a knife I have to sharpen every 5 minutes, the J J knives used to be good, however I tried to use one to cut ingredients for a beef Stroganoff for 2 people and despite sharpening it before usage I had to do so again before I was done.

I've heard Sabatier were good too, I'll have a look at some of the others mentioned.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a wooden chopping board, the instructions for my knives said not to use them on a glass or ceramic chopping board as it not good for them.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound of a knife on a glass board ....well it's like when you hit a nail with your chainsaw....It makes me a sad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Joseph do some fantastically brilliant kitchen gadgets but knifes they don’t do well.

I have a set of henckles knives that I have had for years now and use daily, always sharpen up well and hold a good edge. Picked them up on amazon when I did buy them.

When looking at upgrades recently I quickly realised I was going to have to spend a lot of money to actually get an upgrade and therefore realised there was no need too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:57 - 09 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I don't want a knife I have to sharpen every 5 minutes

Sure, because you're a professional veg-whittler who needs your chopper to stay rock hard for 8 hours a day, every day.

Or because you're a lazy cvnt who never, ever, wants to sharpen a knife after you've paid 10,000 BTC for it. It's all good.

chris-red wrote:
J J knives used to be good, however I tried to use one to cut ingredients for a beef Stroganoff for 2 people and despite sharpening it before usage I had to do so again before I was done.

I'm sorry to hear that your mild steel J J shiv didn't take a decent edge. If anyone else who's actually tried a £5 mild steel knife in preference to a neglected rack of Gucci blades wants to chime in, now's the time.

Although Sabatier knives are fine, get them. If you've never put any effort into maintaining anything better (because worse), you won't be disappointed.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:44 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Although Sabatier knives are fine, get them. If you've never put any effort into maintaining anything better (because worse), you won't be disappointed.

Oi, I lurve my gen-u-ine French Sabatier knifeset from gen-u-ine France not Sheffield (one of the only non-outdoor kit or non-toolsy items that I emigrated with). My mother has some much older Sabatiers from the 60's that I intend to get my hands on, if she karks it before me.
Just don't put them in the dishwasher because it buggers the handles, bloody wimmin. Rolling Eyes

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that sabatier knives are not all equal. It's a title used by many manufacturers and some are much better than others, so check to see what the specific range is like.

No knife will start sharp forever. All need care. The edge starts to curl and it'll feel blunt. Using a steel or better yet a ceramic rod regularly will keep it razor sharp and negate the need for proper sharpening for a long time. Mine get a run over over them once or twice a week. Takes less than 30 seconds and keeps them cutting awesome.

I second no hard chopping boards. Ruins the edge.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
Bogeyman wrote:
Dremel > Grinding stone attachment = Ruined knives.

Fucking Idiot

Haw you....

If you do not stand in or other wise disturb a dry shite then you cannot smell it as much.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:40 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I am slowly collecting Robert Welch knives. I spent best of £50 just on a chef’s knife, but I use it all the time and it makes prep a doddle.

That said, whilst a Dremel can easily ruin your knives, a decent sharpener should get them back. I know real men use a wet stone, but you can just as quickly ruin a knife on those too.

I have two of his/their knives.

A smaller Cook's and a boning knife

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/14167/Robert-Welch-Signature-Stainless-Steel-Cook%27s-Knife-14cm-Blade

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/18096/Robert-Welch-Flexible-Fish-Filleting-Boning-Knife-16cm-Blade

They feel comfortable (not to big for the Mrs. to use) and the edge is hard wearing.

I got a tungsten sharpener when I bought the cook's knife.
I have a few tungsten sharpeners but this particular one puts a nice angle on the blades and the sharpener is still sharpening after about a year's worth of use.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71074/AnySharp-Knife-Sharpener

For any knife it must be forged carbon steel.

The steel has to be of certain quality to be sharpenable and keep the edge.

The knife has to be comfortable to use and some bigger knifes has big ef-off handles wot ladies normally do not prefer. (Size does matter).

ANd a sharp knife is a safe knife.
My knives get fired in to the dishwasher too. But the high carbon steel blades will rust/stain is you do not look after them. Aesthetics may be important but the edge will still cut.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:44 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do ebay have a policy of not selling your local NTDWI's favourite hacking weapon? (kitchen knives)

After reading this thread I went on ebay to have a look at some of the suggestions for knives and there doesn't seem to be anything bigger than steak knives for sale!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Do ebay have a policy of not selling your local NTDWI's favourite hacking weapon? (kitchen knives)

After reading this thread I went on ebay to have a look at some of the suggestions for knives and there doesn't seem to be anything bigger than steak knives for sale!

Your google is broken/frame is twisted/chain is slack.

Very Happy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coffret-5-Couteaux-De-Chef-Japonais-Cuisine-Decoupe-Avec-Lame-Acier-Inoxydable/302024512116?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49925%26meid%3D7f42b8b4a5ef4a69ab693d8d8f018ee9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D322473471748%26itm%3D302024512116&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Totally f*cking confused now ^^^

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:40 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taylors eye witness knives, with a Chantry knife sharpener, and they are pretty good. They've lasted four years so far, and I've sharpened them a few times, but they seem to hold their edge fairly well.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of Sabatier knives and I was given a Thomas set, all hold an edge quite well.

I was also given an Ernesto paring knife from Lidl which is super sharp and has been for quite a while.

A good chopping board is also pretty important, I use a big wooden board and a smaller bamboo one. My ex used to use my knives on a glass chopping board and it made my toes curl and I threw it out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3