Choose me some kitchen knives

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
My ex used to use my knives on a glass chopping board and it made my toes curl and I threw it out.

The Ex or the glass chopping board? Thinking

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 16:55 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given us a lot to think about, I think I've decided against a 'set' now, We have a decent bread knife and most sets I've seen are £30-50 for 5 knives and a block.I think I'd rather spend £50 on 2-3 better quality ones. I'll look at some individual knives somewhere.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharp-Maker-Sharpener/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518278102&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+knife+sharpener

Their selling point (No pun) is that the angle of the stones produce two angles on a blade.

The most acute angle gives a very very sharp edge. Sharp edges blunt quicker.

The less acute angle gives a very sharp edge but it lasts longer.

The less sharp edge is fine for cooking knives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uUFsRzj0Sg

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I have one of these too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spyderco-Tri-Angle-Sharp-Maker-Sharpener/dp/B000Q9C4AE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518278102&sr=8-1&keywords=spyderco+knife+sharpener

I'm not a fan of most sharpening devices but those are actually a really good bit of kit.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 10 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/gallery/fRxth

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
winz wrote:
My ex used to use my knives on a glass chopping board and it made my toes curl and I threw it out.

The Ex or the glass chopping board? Thinking

All of the above....

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.nisbets.co.uk/knowyourknivesinfographic

Motorbiking is easier than cutting shit up in the kitchen.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:37 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Choose me some kitchen knives Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Our knives are shit, they are "Joseph Joseph" and don't seem to hold an edge anymore.

I'm after a set any recommendations? We have a £50 Amazon Voucher so would rather buy from them. Budget no idea how much for semi decent ones? Looking for bang for my buck.

Go for the cold steel katana-machete, carbon steel, rustproof coating and im sure it will cut anything youre cooking
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victorinox is a good balance of quality and price and is the route I've gone down. I also own a dog shit set of Richardson Sheffield knives, I've been slowly buying decent versions of the most used knives

I have a santoko for prepping of veg etc, a 6 inch boning knife (for prepping briskets, shoulders etc on the BBQ) and a little serated tomato knife so far. I will be adding a Granton carving knife soon.

I sharpen them with a steel before use, though I need a decent one and will get one at some stage. I have decent sharpening stones for when the steel no longer cuts the mustard and they need to be reworked.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:26 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensi5446 wrote:
I've been using an IKEA knife for the last few years for most job in the kitchen. Just needs a few rubs with a steel every now and then to keep it sharp, the handle shape is great.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/cookware/knives-chopping-boards/v%C3%B6rda-cooks-knife-black-art-80289243/

one of our neighbors left one these ikea knives at our house after a big old bring some food party.
its now my preference over all the knives i have.,

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

I sharpen them with a steel before use, though I need a decent one and will get one at some stage. I have decent sharpening stones for when the steel no longer cuts the mustard and they need to be reworked.

I prefer a ceramic rod to a steel. I use the wusthof one, about 40 qud if I remember rightly.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:54 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Global 8" chefs knife, it will if kept sharp cut about 95% of what you need to. Easily cuts bread, rolls etc for example, the other 5% it will still cut, but perhaps not as easily, thinking boning, filleting etc, but it can still be done, Ok twice your budget, but if looked after will last you pretty much forever.

Get a decent sharpening steel too, which incidentally doesn't actually sharpen your knife, when very sharp global has a 15° edge which while sharper isn't as robust as a 20-26° European knife, but is much sharper, these edges as you use them fold over slightly, the steel is used to bring them back to true

If you look after the blade you will need to hone it every few months, but you shouldn't need to regrind the edge for a few years unless you are a professional chef, or damage the blade. Keep it in a wooden or magnetic rack, I.e. Not in a cutlery drawer, oh and wash by hand, never in the dishwasher.

Best chopping boards are the softer plastic type boards, more hygienic and less damage to your knife edge.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:11 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Henckels haven't had a mention. These are awesome Thumbs Up
If you can somehow order from amazon.de you get 3 knifes for about £80 Evil or Very Mad If anyone knows a way round that please let me know.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00009XC76/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3SGOKXK0FCBL3&colid=3SBSGKE1RZ9LL&psc=0

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
Buy a Global 8" chefs knife, it will if kept sharp cut about 95% of what you need to. Easily cuts bread, rolls etc for example, the other 5% it will still cut, but perhaps not as easily, thinking boning, filleting etc, but it can still be done, Ok twice your budget, but if looked after will last you pretty much forever.

Get a decent sharpening steel too, which incidentally doesn't actually sharpen your knife, when very sharp global has a 15° edge which while sharper isn't as robust as a 20-26° European knife, but is much sharper, these edges as you use them fold over slightly, the steel is used to bring them back to true

If you look after the blade you will need to hone it every few months, but you shouldn't need to regrind the edge for a few years unless you are a professional chef, or damage the blade. Keep it in a wooden or magnetic rack, I.e. Not in a cutlery drawer, oh and wash by hand, never in the dishwasher.

Best chopping boards are the softer plastic type boards, more hygienic and less damage to your knife edge.

The Miosharp ceramic wheel sharpener works really well with Global knives and is a doddle to use.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally use Global knives. I have about 5 of them.

My rule: one or two decent knives are more use than a big block of cheap knives. You don't need the paring knife, the bread knife, the carving knife, the scissors, the 8 steak knives. All you need is one or two decent chef's knives. I have a pair of identical mid-sized ones, (not sure on the size) maybe 8 inch, that I find I go to most. Bigger and smaller ones get used less.

Hand wash, magnetic rack, as Analogkid says.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:16 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Global knives here! If sharpened properly then just glancing at them will cut you.

If, on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut.

For what it's worth, every professional kitchen I've worked in has also used Global knives - that's good enough for me Cool

I'd also recommend a knife bag over a block or a rack - they seem to stay far sharper and cleaner in a proper case.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:34 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
Another vote for Global knives here! If sharpened properly then just glancing at them will cut you.

You do know that your statement applies to any 'properly sharpened' knife?
My trusty scabby machete with a cheap mild steel blade is sharp enough to shave with.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:

Oh, of course. But the Global ones are very easy to sharpen on a whetstone, they look nice, they're easy to clean, the design is great and they're nice to hold, they don't rust or break, and they'll live longer than you do.

I think cheap knives are a false economy.

Source: chef for a number of years.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Oh, of course. But the Global ones are very easy to sharpen on a whetstone, they look nice, they're easy to clean, the design is great and they're nice to hold, they don't rust or break, and they'll live longer than you do.

I think cheap knives are a false economy.

Source: chef for a number of years.

1.5k for a set of knives is realistically beyond the average person's budget, fine if it's your livelihood but there are plenty of brands on the market that will last a lifetime if looked after (or at least until a person's disposable income is large enough to warrant blowing a wad on a 'decent' set).

My tip: Just avoid Kitchen Devils (and other cheap nasties) and never, ever, ever put a kitchen knife in a dishwasher.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:38 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
and never, ever, ever put a kitchen knife in a dishwasher.

Why, out of curiosity? What actually damages them in a dishwasher?

V2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:56 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of mine go in the dishwasher, It hasn't done any damage to them as far as I can tell...

On a side note, boning Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

The mix of water and heat will trash wooden and composite handles.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:43 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

This is what Global say.

Quote:
It is recommended that you wash your Global knives by hand using a mild dishwashing liquid and water. After washing, rinse with water and dry thoroughly with a towel. Global knives should NOT be put in the dishwasher. Doing so could damage the sharp edges should they come into contact with other objects in the dishwasher. In addition, exposure to extreme heat and powerful detergents found in dishwashers can be harmful to CROMOVA 18 high carbon stainless steel.

And as for £1500 a set, that may be, but you only need one, a chefs/cooks nice of 6” or 8” is all you need for the majority of cooking.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:27 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Analogkid wrote:
And as for £1500 a set...

...they aren't.

mentalboy wrote:
1.5k for a set of knives is realistically beyond the average person's budget

£1.5k Laughing

You can buy a small chef's knife, a larger chef's knive and a paring knife for £150. You don't need anything more than that.

Polarbear wrote:

Other things in the dishwasher knocking into them is what damages them. They only take 30 seconds to wash by hand.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a couple of sets of knives.

Set 1 are Sabatier, they're ok but you do need a steel as they need sharpening, fairly regularly.
A word of warning though, don't put 'em in the dishwasher, ours have rubberised type handles and they have delaminated.

Set 2 are ProCook Professional X50's, these are very nice knives, they feel very solid and have a bit of weight behind them, they do not flex at all.
They are extremely sharp, I've been using them for 18 months and haven't sharpened them yet, they will still take your finger off effortlessly! Shocked
Worth every penny, the best knives I've ever owned!

https://www.procook.co.uk/shop/knives-scissors/procook-professional-x50
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3