Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I wrong to like Eastern European?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Am I wrong to like Eastern European? Reply with quote

A friend of mine was into oddball bikes and for a couple of years tried to keep a BSA c15 on the road (that didn’t go well).
He also had an MZ ts250 (four speed) that I liked.
I’ve had a couple of old CZ’s and a Jawa.

This has made me think about getting another Eastern European two-smoke.
Am I mad. Confused

They’re not that hard to work on and 99% of the parts are still available.

Waddoya think oh mighty BCF?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:32 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were talking about women, no, they are on the whole, lush.

If you were talking about bikes, yes, they are on the whole crap. Razz

Except for a 650 ural with sidecar, reverse gear and machine gun. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:05 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All bikes break eventually, recovery cover is decent these days, and life is finite.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you were talking about women, no, they are on the whole, lush.

If you were talking about bikes, yes, they are on the whole crap. Razz

I'm actually thinking of getting a sidecar to transport my son around. If anyone has a sidecar that they would like to swap for an R6 please get in touch. Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's a tough one. Thinking

But, here is what I think,

If you want a novelty motorcycle, go for it. MZ being the best of the trio (CZ/Jawa/MZ). But either way, all three manufacturers made motorcycles that are simple, easy to keep alive and very reliable, regardless of what Polarbear says.

Both CZ and Jawa may be upgraded with modern parts, especially modern/better ignition/charging system, to make them very reliable and pleasant to use. The old style contact-ignition requires some knowledge and fiddling with to get the best performance out of the engine. The modern contactless ignition however is hasslefree and gives you a bit better performance and you won't be touching the ignition ever again.
Speaking of other bits on the motorcycles, there are still tons of very, very cheap parts and there are still manufacturers who make new bits for these even today. These parts are so cheap, that you won't think twice replacing anything.

MZ (80's, 150ETZ experience), was a fairly modern motorcycle and it doesn't really need much to keep going. Spare parts are slightely more expensive than for a CZ/Jawa, but still way cheaper than for any Japanese motorcycle. Also, if combined with modern tyres and the whole suspension being fully functional (no dead bearings!) it feels suprisingly modern to ride, very comfortable as well.

And as always, if you buy a lemon, be prepared to do some serious work for which those three are perfect. Very simple machines, very cheap parts.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 20:46 - 11 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Evil or Very Mad why put a sidecar on a bike, Blugh! Yuk! Now a machine gun Very Happy !

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Am I wrong to like Eastern European? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Waddoya think oh mighty BCF?

Go for it!

When I were a lad (and all round here was fields etc etc etc) I had a Simson S51 Enduro. I ranted it, abused it and it just kept coming back for more. It never let me down.

The lights were crap though. Just don't go out in the dark.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something about crap bikes I find appealing. Never really understood why. I like the Jawa 350 and always fancied a ural.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
There's something about crap bikes I find appealing. Never really understood why. I like the Jawa 350 and always fancied a ural.

They are not crap, just old. Thumbs Up

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted an MZ last year but they suddenly became valuable 😡😡😡

I’m not paying 1k for a TS250, however quirky and cool it might be.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MZ's are pretty good on the whole, I did a fair few miles on an ETZ301.

They are quite mild motors with a nice wide spread of torque for a smoker and they are quite light.

Provided you keep up on the maintenance they are also quite reliable. Later autolube bikes with electronic ignition only need very minimal fettling to keep them happy.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:

I’m not paying 1k for a TS250, however quirky and cool it might be.

This ^+1, I might even get rid of one or even two of my other piles of junk.

Shocked I never thought I’d see the day I’d agree with Mr GT200 Thinking Smile

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 11 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id have an ural/dnepr. But for some reason I've never liked 2 strokes. Which it seems a lot of eastern european bikes seem to be.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:39 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
(RhynoCZ needs a wee pal on here. Very Happy )
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets be honest, who wouldn't fancy doing this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOY4QY02Tku1-JI-tqm9hWL7KA8R8ySzTImj2Fh1YCKvlwl4at

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
But either way, all three manufacturers made motorcycles that are simple, easy to keep alive and very reliable, regardless of what Polarbear says.

Going by the 5 years I spent watching MZ riders frantically trying to bump start them around a race paddock, I disagree.

And I've got a 150 ETZ, that only requires petrol mixed with oil and a alright battery. All the job that was done was only to fix whatever the preivous owner thought was alright to do to a motorcycle (still not done yet, I even made a thread here) + the consumeables. It's been at my disposal for about 8 years now, in that time period it only needed some new wheel bearings, fixing a gearbox oil leak (previous owner's fault) and my mate rebuilt the front suspension.

I think it's a matter of proper tune up, maintenance and using (starting procedure), rather than the motorcycle being unreliable. So far, the 150 ETZ never had a problem to run, even after 2 years in storage. After those 2 years all I did was pour in some fresh petrol with oil and a new battery, as the old one was bone dry and then went right to the MOT place. The bike was running in just about 5 minutes from the moment I put the battery in. I'd say that's pretty good considering how difficult it was to start my GPz 550 after the winter break, which only takes about 3 months. Yes, we do have snow and ice here and yes, most of us are not that manly as you who ride all year long are and that's why you won the WW2 and we didn't.

I mean, if that isn't reliable then I don't know what is. It still runs the original (at least 8 years old) spark plug and air filter (even the chain and sprockets), having no issues to run at comfortable 90km/h. Truth to be told though, the MZ doesn't do more than about 4000km a year. I just don't have the time to cover more distance, but you know how it is on a slow motorcycle.

It'd be even more reliable if it had a battery-less ignition. Which is sort of my dream. To have a CZ 150, or a 477 with battery-less ignition. But, as pointed out, although GT200Fan79 was talking about MZ, proper CZ motorcycles got expensive and rather rare, especialy the 150 series.

EDIT: Have I mentioned prices of spare parts? Thinking

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive owned a couple, my MZ just kept going, it kept going wonky, and I kept bodging and it kept going

my CZ wasn't as good.

I keep toying with getting a Jawa 350, but haven't so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:02 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a CZ back in the mists of time. The only thing (other than it's utter crappiness) that sticks in my mind is the the gear selector somehow twisted round to become the kickstart.

Even my RD250 never had that. Shocked Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:32 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

I dunno, but please go ahead, as it's one of my main considerations when considering a bike now.

Something to bear in mind is that if you're after a low powered but economical, primitive but surprisingly robust motorcycle, but you'd prefer one with reasonable used prices and a good supply of cheap parts, Royal Enfields do exist.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:46 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

URinAL

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

I dunno, but please go ahead, as it's one of my main considerations when considering a bike now.

Something to bear in mind is that if you're after a low powered but economical, primitive but surprisingly robust motorcycle, but you'd prefer one with reasonable used prices and a good supply of cheap parts, Royal Enfields do exist.

RE is a hipster machine where I live, prices are ridiculous. Folded arms

The cheapest avalible one here is a 2010 EFI 500 for £3.5K. Thinking

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I'd rather have a British stroker than an eastern Europe made one.

But what you really want is an Italian or a Spanish stroker, (I know prices have exploded), or if you are really flush with the cash you want a Big Swede or if your hard enough a big Maico. Thumbs Up

But at the bottom end I'd take Bantam or a Villiers engined bike over a lump of eastern bloc crap every time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ETZ125 that siezed most days. Still kept going, I learned to be pretty nonchalant about things that would be terminal on almost any other bike I can think of.

I still really want a Maico 700, but I know I'd be banned again in short order, it's a proper back-wheel tool.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:50 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned one but I remember in the 1970's regularly seeing MZ250's two up and doing motorway speeds quite comfortably. They didn't have the style or the performance of the Japanese smokers of the time but appeared to be no frills, fairly reliable work horses.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 46 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2