Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

wheels/Rollers for gates

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:06 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: wheels/Rollers for gates Reply with quote

Kinda workshop related...

I have some pretty big gates at the back of my property. One swings open on hinges and does not have a problem but the other is on a roller and rolls off to the side to allow more room to pull on the drive. They are both made out of wood and are 2.5m high and about 3m long (each) so weigh a fair bit.

It seems every year I am having to take the roller gate down and replace the wheels on it. It has had and currently has these wheels but I am guessing they are under spec'd as the rubber wears off and then the wheel starts to stick.

At the top and the bottom of the gate the "rollers" (wheels) run in a track that is about 1" wide. The last time I replaced the wheels I tried some non swivel wheels but they seemed to jam more. This time I looked to get some of these uber wheels but they are too big for the track.

https://i.imgur.com/DFOoL2I.png

Can anyone point me in the direction of somewhere to get some decent hardware to solve my problem? or any bright ideas of how I can make this work better other than getting off my arse and oiling the runners more often? Looking at similar gates it seems they have a metal runner system that pokes up rather than being recessed like mine is. If I need to go down that route I will likely replace the gates at the same time as they are getting pretty rickety. If possible I want to spend my reddies on something more fun like a big man shed for the bikes.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better solution would be stronger posts and gate, do away with the wheel thing altogether.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I have a similair quandary at the moment. I have a large swing gate that a previous owner of the house (a welder) manufactured. In fact it's a bit OTT but I like the security it offers.

Originally it would seem it had a wheel on it to support its weight but was removed. The post is a concreted in steel behemoth but like anything in life, it's drooping little by little every year. I'm going to have to sort out a wheel again or face the inevitable fact that some day it will fall over with an almighty crash that could be fatal to anyone near it.

Err...so, no help to OP but watching this one with interest.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:22 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The better solution would be stronger posts and gate, do away with the wheel thing altogether.

My explanation is lacking.

One gate opens (swings) in to the drive, the other slides out of the way, if it was also on hinges you would not be able to close it once the car was on the drive.

https://i.imgur.com/umdGanr.png

The swinging gate does droop a bit but its attached to a large brick wall and has not been a problem.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:18 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skateboard axle FTW

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are rated for around 1/2 a ton.

https://www.castors-online.co.uk/acatalog/Rubber-Tyred-Wheels-with-Cast-Iron-or-Aluminium-Centre.html

£20 ea

Maybe that company has better if you were to call them up.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 12 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proper solution would be this sort of thing:

https://www.barrier-components.co.uk/gate-hardware/sliding-gate-hardware.html

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:06 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
These are rated for around 1/2 a ton.

Looks like they have some nylon ones as well that may wear better.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: money Reply with quote

A gated property means money, so spend some.

Attend to the wall before that falls over as well, another wheel solution.

There will be stuff available, machine mart or better.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I need some 5 inch wheels for my alloy tower, but wheel only, I have the brake mechanism already.
The sun has rotted the rubber off of the castors leaving just the nylon centres because I store the frame outoors.

I was going to buy something like a set of these and just unbolt the original wheels and swap them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125mm-Heavy-Duty-Swivel-Rubber-Castor-Caster-Wheels-Set-Trolley-Caster-Brakes-UK/222779302859?hash=item33deae63cb:m:mkuCrrBgt8TWbxv_KMCnzZA

My main issue is finding wheels the same width as the originals at the point where where the spindles go through although I
am considering just washering it out to size and getting something cheap and cheerful. I only use the tower at home
so it doesn't really have to be h&s compliant

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:04 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I were a lad, a log-long-time-ago, in a county not so far away..... We had some tracked doors a bit like that on one of the machine-sheds on t'farm. They were forever a PITA jamming in the track, usually when the track silted up with crud off tyres and stuff.

Farmer's solution, as I recall was wheel-barrow wheels.... or I think more likely Vespa wheels..... They were a LOT bigger and ran far more easily, without 'tracks'..... two old wheel-barrow frames were used in a see-saw arrangement, along with letting the tyres down to about 6psi to account for uneven-ness... o more likely a slow puncture n the scooter wheels!

(Probably Vespa wheels as I rescued a Vespa 90 from a scrap-pile.... it started, but had no front end where it had been run in the back of something... a spare 'half' fork turned up under a work bench, and the wheel, I discovered on a wheel-barrow... and got in much trouble when I attempted to re-unite the assembly! Amazing creations... Vespa's.. Designed by a sadistic aeroplane designer who hated motorbikes with a latin-passion, and I think applied the 'Bumble-Bee' priniple that it defies all known laws of aeronautcs and can only 'fly' because no-one has told it.... hence Vespa... Italian for 'Wasp'.. but still)

My solution? Two slightly more conventional 'split fold' hinged gates; four sections, each hinged off enormously well sunk posts on six ruddy great five-bar-farm-gate hinges; three on each post, three between the half sections of gate. Each section is I think 8ft tall, & 4ft wide spanning a 16ft wide drive & only needing 4'6" of 'swing'.

Location is historically 'windy'; a few years ago there was a spate of flying larch-lap fence panels! Regular sightings of flying Gazebo's, and I am still trying to figure out where the patio umbrella in my back garden came from! When the wind's up, the gates do rattle a bit, but so far they have withstood the gales for about half a decade.

Ability to open just one half also lets bikes in and out rather neatly.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: crud Reply with quote

similar, small wheels inside door running on steel tracks, the concave running surfaced wheels would jam due to insufficient care and maintenance, not keeping the tracks clean enough, and wear a flat on the wheels. A repair and regular maintenance cured the problem.

An external gate, a heavy one, solid large diameter cast wheel running in channel section, but again regular maintenance.

So, trip to car breakers, beam axle ( fiesta, almera etc. ) and the space saver wheels, or std size wheels. Some "engineering" ( re cycling ) and problem solved, until you get a puncture ! :karma:

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:37 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some more valuable information here :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLTAV4ZZFTU
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 65 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1