Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bent handlebars... theft?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

riejumike
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:58 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Bent handlebars... theft? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

After a few days of not riding when I got on it I found my bike's handlebars had been bent (it's a 600cc naked bike).

It's not immediately visible from sitting on the bike but the left bar end has been pushed forward by a good 2 inches (so the handlebar is more "supermoto style" on the left). I've measured this and am positive it's been bent somehow. The clutch seems to engage normally though and the bike is rideable.

I keep the bike on a driveway, and I'm worried someone's done the classic "foot on the bar end and push to break the steering lock" move. The lock is also a little bit harder to work than usual and requires A LOT of jimmying- but this could be the cold. I keep the main chain looped between the front forks and a thick metal railing so it's pretty secure I think.

Strangely, I have a pretty decent chain and disk lock on which both seem to be untouched. I thought any potential theives would have sorted it out before trying to break the steering lock. Also, there are no chips or marks on the bar end, on the locks or around the bike as far as I can tell...

Does anyone know what else could cause such bending? It's been pretty cold and snowy these last few days... not sure if that's a thing.

Manchester / Leeds area.

Cheers

Mike

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 13 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the potential thief never noticed the chain and lock until after it tried to for the steering lock.
You can buy a new lock kit.
Not sure if you steering lock key is ignition and fuel cap. Bit if you want it to be simple change the lot.
Or if not an issue change the steering lock for sure.
It may fail later and not open.

dn38416
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:58 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A drop will bend the bars, but doubtful in this case if it's bent forward. I don't know the bike but if it were dropped and the front wheel is pointing away from the ground is it possible that the left bar got bent forward that way?

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:35 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you dissed Uri Geller recently?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:51 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

it must be the theft. the only other reason i can think of is that maybe water got into the hollow bars and expanded in the cold, same for the lock.

but im absolutely sure it was attempted theft.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are tubular steel bars just bend them straight. Too many people scrap bent bars when all they need is a tweak back into position.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bent bars = been on the deck reasonably hard or theft attempt, any other 'reason' is stretching things (and the laws of physics) somewhat

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Bent handlebars... theft? Reply with quote

riejumike wrote:
I keep the main chain looped between the front forks and a thick metal railing so it's pretty secure I think.

You checked the forks?

Post reminded me of the time I returned from work to my tiddler and found that the bike looked like it had fallen over on the front left, mainly the bar -- it was closer to the metal bike rack than I'd left it, but instead was still upright and didn't look touched in any other way. Turns out that somehow, while parked up, the suspension had stopped rebounding and was getting stuck when compressed.

Might help, might not.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1