Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinion on owning multiple 125's?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:42 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Opinion on owning multiple 125's? Reply with quote

So, what is your opinion if getting multiple 125cc bikes? is it just pointless or just like owning multiple bigger CC bikes? I ask as ill soon be in a position to buy another relatively cheap 125 but i kind of feel it would just be a waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:10 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand - There's the learner market. Even abused ones carry a premium.

On the other hand - It's a 125.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:24 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are asking everybody else what your motivation is for buying more than one 125cc bike.

I'm sure many could make a logical case for owning a 125 in addition to a higher powered bike.
I'm not sure that anybody who owns more than one 125 does it for anything more than personal emotional reasons. (aside from attempting to turn a profit on it)

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:25 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. Unless another 125 is a 2 stroke for shits and giggles OR you have a particular soggy spot in your trousers for 125s of a certain vintage for nostalgia purposes then.....

I mean, if it's your ONLY method of transport and you NEED a backup AND the one on offer was DIRT cheap then...maybe.

Just more crap to sell on when you pass your test.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope don't see the point

Closest I ever came to it was either the 50cc and 125 or the 125 and 200 cc at the same time
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget, you will also need to insure, tax and MOT both bikes, so even if the bike were to be free, it will still cost you more long term

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Don't forget, you will also need to insure, tax and MOT both bikes, so even if the bike were to be free, it will still cost you more long term

To be fair, on a multibike policy, the additional cost of adding an extra bike, will be pretty minimal, likewise, vehicle tax is only £18.00 for the year, and, MOT ~£25.00, so, no great expense having another .

Don't see any harm in having multiple 125's, especially if the bike is your primary form of transport, always nice to have a backup, or, just a change in bike/riding style to break up the monotony every now and then

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a full license and at least one of those bikes is either two stroke or of classic age then maybe.

If youbdont have a full license then it's utterly pointless in most cases. Spend the money on a full license and a bigger bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:36 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, if they're radically different, like an XLR 125 and an Intruder 125. Then it makes sense in exactly the same way as having a retarded girlfriend, and a fat retarded girlfriend.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often have too many motorcycles, technically I've got too many at the moment, it's fun to have too many, and ride different ones, just because. Thumbs Up

This time last year we had a 50cc, 125cc, 200cc, 250cc and a 300cc Laughing

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: 125 Reply with quote

Its your money

If you are restricted to 125's then variety is the spice of life.

A back up would be good, also a winter hack and/or a "field" of off roader.

An rd125 would be nice also.

When the older bikes ( some now are ) BECOME mot AND tax EXEMPT, CHEAP biking becomes even cheaper, particularly if you already own older bikes. :karma:

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:45 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine having multiple 125s, as long as one of them is a scooter.
Then you'll find yourself only wanting to ride the scooter, and eventually getting rid of the others. Changing gear every 100 yards gets boring.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:07 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Fine having multiple 125s, as long as one of them is a scooter.
Then you'll find yourself only wanting to ride the scooter, and eventually getting rid of the others. Changing gear every 100 yards gets boring.

i had a scooter, didnt like it.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:05 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think you could be a virgin twice, but turns out you can.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:14 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously though, I'd just tough it out until you hit 19, which I believe is this November? The price of the 2nd bike is your training and test costs, and you'll be glad you've got it to hand the moment you give an A2 bike some beans.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:56 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want another 125?

How old are you?

You've got a Lexmoto Adrenaline 125, what relatively cheap 125 have you found?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:44 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own multiple 125's, As well as multiple 'big-bikes'.

YES! They are an unmitigated waste of money!

So is Golf, Fishing, Clay-Pigeon Shooting, Building Dolls Houses, Snooker, Theme-Parks, Amusement Arcades, On-line Poker, Holidays in Ibeza, and HUNDREDS of other things! People spend the national debt of a South-American Banana Republic on each year, and call it 'Entertainment'. MOST things we enjoy, in fact cost money, and we can probably live without, hence are a 'wast of money'.

Pays your money and choose your preferred 'wast' of the stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:51 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is happening, I'm finding myself agreeing with more and more of Teffers posts?!? Shocked

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
WTF is happening, I'm finding myself agreeing with more and more of Teffers posts?!? Shocked

Have you stopped taking your meds again?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:03 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone has started medicating Teff.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:06 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair thats the most concise post i've ever seen from Tef

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:36 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

How old are you?

This is hypothetical but i was thinking of getting a varadero for some longer journeys on the weekend. The adrenaline is good but it really is unhappy with dual-carriageways, not just the engine but the lack of wind protection and carrying capacity too.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

I just read it, all of it. Shocked

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:43 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Nah. Unless another 125 is a 2 stroke for shits and giggles OR you have a particular soggy spot in your trousers for 125s of a certain vintage for nostalgia purposes then.....

I mean, if it's your ONLY method of transport and you NEED a backup AND the one on offer was DIRT cheap then...maybe.

Just more crap to sell on when you pass your test.

Guess so, originally i was looking at getting a Honda CB125T. twin cylinder 125, UJM style from the 80's i believe but couldn't risk being stranded if it decided to die all of a sudden.

i was also toying with the idea of keeping my Adrenaline after i pass my test. get a big bore kit and put it on MX tyres, just use it for green-lanes but insurance would be astronomical.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Ste wrote:

How old are you?

This is hypothetical but i was thinking of getting a varadero for some longer journeys on the weekend. The adrenaline is good but it really is unhappy with dual-carriageways, not just the engine but the lack of wind protection and carrying capacity too.

All 125s suck on national speed limit dual carriageways, so don't ride on them.

My old CBF125 using only minor roads I rode it Bedford to Portsmouth, Portsmouth to Bedford, Bedford to Cambridge, Cambridge to halfway home bottled it convinced I'd run out of fuel and so I filled it up, but still had 1.5 litres of fuel left in it. That was the big plus for me, cheap to run, decent fuel range.

The CBF125 had an official larger Honda screen, but honestly in a high wind it was horrible, the naked vanvan 125 was much easier to ride in the wind, but slower and with a tiny fuel tank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 44 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4