Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki Marauder 125 Bogging Down At High Revs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:31 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Suzuki Marauder 125 Bogging Down At High Revs Reply with quote

I have had a Suzuki Marauder 125 for a couple of months, and when I first bought it I brought it to The Mechanics and had the carbs cleaned and a new float needle installed, and the bike run like a dream.

Last week I fell around a corner at around 15 miles per hour, and the only visible damage was a cracked front light and the gear lever being bent back.

I've repaired the front light and bent the gear lever back into place, and the bike started fine and runs fine, except when I pull the throttle back past a certain point it's loses power and jerks as if it is not getting enough fuel.

I have returned it to the Mechanics yesterday, and they have taken the carbs off cleaned them and reinstalled them, and it hasn't made any difference.

They have checked the fuel flow and that is ok, and the pump is working fine, so they thought that maybe the side stand cut out was being activated at high Vibrations, so they bridged that and it didn't make any difference either.

They are now totally stumped, and so am I.

Does anybody have any suggestions in regards to what the problem might be?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs?
When it boggs down remove the spark plug using gloves to see if it`s dry with short of fuel.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:58 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Carbs?
When it boggs down remove the spark plug using gloves to see if it`s dry with short of fuel.

So run the bike in first gear for 20 seconds at high revs and let it bog down, then remove the spark plug and see if the bottom is dry?

What will that tell me?

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:03 - 14 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Carbs?

The bottom of the spark plug is black and dry

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the carb with a black dry plug.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:12 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jaffa90"]Back to the carb with a black dry plug.[/quote
]

The Mechanics have removed the carbs, cleaned them, and say that they are fine.

My Google research is making me think that a bad air mix might be causing it. Either a leak or a vacuum somewhere maybe? What do you think?

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the carb is ok and fitted correctly it could be a faulty t.p.s. not advancing the spark timing when opening the throttle thus causing a black spark plug and lack of power.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:27 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for air leaks, get it running and spray around the carb/inlet with wd40, if the revs change, there is a problem.

Also make sure the airbox and shit is seated correctly, also that your filter isn't full or shit.

That will be the best bet, rather than fucking with the carb even more. You shouldn't really need to go near it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:52 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
If the carb is ok and fitted correctly it could be a faulty t.p.s. not advancing the spark timing when opening the throttle thus causing a black spark plug and lack of power.

A road test with the throttle ignition sensor disabled has made no difference.
And the mechanic has told me that the spark plug colour and state are normal. The black was my mistake.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:01 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Check for air leaks, get it running and spray around the carb/inlet with wd40, if the revs change, there is a problem.

Also make sure the airbox and shit is seated correctly, also that your filter isn't full or shit.

That will be the best bet, rather than fucking with the carb even more. You shouldn't really need to go near it.

The airbox is apparently fine according to the mechanics, and the filter is clean. For what it's worth, it runs pretty much the same without the filter in at all.

I asked them to check for air leaks, and they said that there is no point, as that would cause it to run shitty all the way through the revs, where as currently it runs as if it has no problem whatsoever until the last third or so of the throttle being turned.

I have also asked them to check for an air vacuum caused by the petrol tank cap, which they are going to do today.

They seem to have been very thorough, and are genuinely stumped.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""A road test with the throttle ignition sensor disabled has made no difference. """""
Try going up a hill with it disconnected.
Also on some bikes oil can travel from the engine into the airbox when on its side / dropped.
As Paddy suggests.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:14 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also on some bikes oil can travel from the engine into the airbox when on its side / dropped.
As Paddy suggests.

There is a good chance that that happened, as when I vacumed the air filter, I had to hoover liquid out of the bottom of the box.

I don't actually understand what that means though.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what difference would that make?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are local, I'll take a look. a mechanic that is stumped probably shouldn't be in that job Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:54 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If you are local, I'll take a look. a mechanic that is stumped probably shouldn't be in that job Laughing

That's very kind of you Paddy. I'm in Faversham Kent. Where are you?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

james anderson wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

You can't find Paddy.

Paddy finds YOU. Twisted Evil

Since you and your mechanics are stumped then it may be time to start at the beginning.

Try to determine what reasonably could be damaged in a fall and work done from there.

You say the power loss occurs at a certain point when you twist the throttle back.

Thinking outside of the box..
Is the cable free and is is routed correctly from the throttle grip to the carb?

Is the fuel tap straw OK? It may dislodge in the fall. (Not likely as they stay in place for ever normally.)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:48 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

james anderson wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Well I'm near Dartford. If you can ride over, or even to my parents in Maidstone and we can have a tinker. There might be someone closer however.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:53 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

You can't find Paddy.

Paddy finds YOU. Twisted Evil

Since you and your mechanics are stumped then it may be time to start at the beginning.

Try to determine what reasonably could be damaged in a fall and work done from there.

You say the power loss occurs at a certain point when you twist the throttle back.

Thinking outside of the box..
Is the cable free and is is routed correctly from the throttle grip to the carb?

Is the fuel tap straw OK? It may dislodge in the fall. (Not likely as they stay in place for ever normally.)

Yeah the cable is fine, and I can see it moving up and down correctly on the carb.

The fuel tap and the pipe are also functioning correctly.

I've just come off of the phone to the mechanics, and they are saying that they thing it is electrical, and want to change the coil. I'm sure they are just guessing now, and the bill is getting bigger everytime they guess at something else.

They have ruled out a vacume caused by the tank cap being blocked, and they have ruled out cracked rubber or metal around the carbs.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:55 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Well I'm near Dartford. If you can ride over, or even to my parents in Maidstone and we can have a tinker. There might be someone closer however.

Thank you Paddy. The bike is currently in the mechanic's in Sittingbourne, and they want to change the coils tomorrow. If that doesn't work I can take the bike back on Saturday and ride down to you if that's ok?

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:49 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the tank for fuel flow? Possible filter/tap blockage and maybe a vacuum being created in the tank? Any of them will cause high speed running problems. To check for vaccum issues open the tank filler cap. If it goes away you may have a blocked breather tube.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:52 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
Have you checked the tank for fuel flow? Possible filter/tap blockage and maybe a vacuum being created in the tank? Any of them will cause high speed running problems. To check for vaccum issues open the tank filler cap. If it goes away you may have a blocked breather tube.

Yeah that was my first thought.

The mechanic rode it without the filler cap and it made no difference.
The fuel flow is also fine.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 125 commuter is, essentially, a 4 valve Marauder (Hysoung Cruise 2).

Fuel line was iffy, corrugated. Supposed to be 6mm ID, but in places it was down to 2mm, and was fine at slow speeds, but bogged when you ask it for more revs or put on more load. No idea how it happened, but it went away when I replaced it. Fuel came out, but not in enough quantity/volume to suplpy the carb properly at higher revs.

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:19 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
My 125 commuter is, essentially, a 4 valve Marauder (Hysoung Cruise 2).

Fuel line was iffy, corrugated. Supposed to be 6mm ID, but in places it was down to 2mm, and was fine at slow speeds, but bogged when you ask it for more revs or put on more load. No idea how it happened, but it went away when I replaced it. Fuel came out, but not in enough quantity/volume to suplpy the carb properly at higher revs.

I have checked that personally, and so have the mechanics.

The thing is, it was running fine one minute, I dropped it on it's left side and left it for the night, and the next day it had the problem. Nothing would have got blocked that way.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

james anderson wrote:
I dropped it on it's left side and left it for the night,

Wait... you what?

james anderson
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:10 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Wait... you what?

I didn't leave it dropped. I picked it up and parked it for the night.

Then the next day i went to get it and it had a cracked headlight casing, and a bent gear lever. I taped up the headlight, and bent the lever back in to place, and it started and rode fine until I tried to open the accelerator

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've cleaned or replaced the fuel filter? If you dropped it, all sorts of shit would get dreged up from the tank.

For the few quid it costs, I'd replace the fuel line and filter. Easy enough to do yourself, your garage doesn't seem to know any more than you, so why pay them more?

Can't see a drop fucking electrical items up.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2