Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Preferred method for soldering clusterfucked wiring?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Preferred method for soldering clusterfucked wiring? Reply with quote

What's the best method for reconnecting headlight wiring to a near professional standard?

When I bought the Bandit a previous owner fitted heated grips and the likes.
Problem is that the method they used was pretty much to chew the wires until they disconnected, then cellotape 3 wires wrapped around each other.
I immediately restripped the wires and chock-blocked, greased, then electrical taped it all up.

I want to do a proper job now but my only experience is soldering components like capacitors on PCB.

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

cresad
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The best way to sort it properly would be to get hold of some small 3.9mm bullet connectors , similar to these - https://goo.gl/TUiDDs
tin the end of the wires then crimp the connectors onto the appropiate wires using the covers or heatshrink to keep water out. I've just fitted an LED headlight to my Suzuki attaching the unit to the original plug wiring using the above method.

Adam
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're soldering - Flux beforehand, and Clean flux afterwards.

Twist wire neatly. Apply Flux. Put iron on wire. Put solder on wire. The solder and iron should not touch. The heat will travel through the wire and melt the solder, it also helps ensure you don't get a dry/cold joint. Make sure wire is properly coated in solder.

Repeat for other wire.

Put wires together, and apply iron so it melts both. Hold together until firm. You usually need a third hand for this.

Clean flux, heatshrink, enjoy.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:54 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper old leaded solder makes a much better job of things if you can get your hands on some.

If you can do a decent job of PCB soldering you'll do a good enough job of wiring. The theory is similar.

Use heatshrink to finish the job.

Remember to put the heatshrink on the wires before soldering them together - it's a pain in the arse having to undo and redo!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:08 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soldiering iron from marlin.
Lead free flux inside solder.
Heat shrink sleeve.
Prepare the joint.
Cut enough heat shrink to cover the joint and about 10mm over insulation on either side.
(Push the sleeve over one side of the joint as far away as possible so it is not shrunk by the soldering step.)

'Tin' the tip of the iron (touch with solder to put a bead on it).
Touch the tip of the iron to the middle of the joint.
Touch the solder the middle of the joint.
The flux core will melt and run into the joint
The solder will follow as the heat transfered to the joint.
When solid pull on the joint to make sure it is good.
Slide the sleeve over the joint.
Warm the sleeve with then iron.
Job done.
Flux in cored solder is not as corrosive. As other types so it is not always necessary to clean it off.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Soldiering iron from marlin.

Assuming that's a typo for Maplins, get a 'soldering station'. As I understand it, a soldering station maintains the soldering tip temperature, giving better performance,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 15 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if soldering, stagger the joints if possible to avoid a thick clump in the harness.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 00:01 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Twist wire neatly.

Don't twist them, you get a better join if you just overlap them. Twisting them means the solder will not get into the middle.

Tin both ends overlap them heat it up and it will join strong.

You don't need a soldering station, they are great for working on a bench a little bit more tricky on a bike. Also if you are doing it outside you will need something powerful. I can't remember if my iron was a 40 or 60w but it struggled outside in the cold doing the same job. Even at max it struggled getting the wire hot.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
You don't need a soldering station,

I think you do. A soldering station will maintain a set temperature whereas a simple iron won't.

Chris-red wrote:
Also if you are doing it outside you will need something powerful. I can't remember if my iron was a 40 or 60w but it struggled outside in the cold doing the same job. Even at max it struggled getting the wire hot.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinese lead solder with a flux core is your friend!

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good advice. But practise. Practise is what you need to do to get it 'good'.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
All good advice. But practise. Practise is what you need to do to get it 'good'.

Practise Mayks Perfikt. Thumbs Up

OP, there are many ways to skin a cat/fuk-up-a-job Very Happy
The choice of tools may be determined by your budget.

Solder Iron is a general term for a Hot bit of metal used to melt solder. Very Happy

You can get a 'simple' one for a few quid from Napkin (or Maplin if my bastirt phone permits me to type without making me look fukin' stoopid.)

Solder stations are very nice to use if you want to be picky. £14-£299+ Up to you.
Will you use it often? If so then invest.
If you only use on occasion then sub £10 soldering iron will be perfect.

Sometimes you cannot avoid twisting the joint before soldering as you probably only have one pair of hands.
The solder will flow into all parts of the joint. Solder employs capillary action to get into all nooks, crannies and crevices.
The flow is entirely dependant on two main points.
A clean joint (by use of a flux) and sufficient heat to maintain the solder in its liquid state.

Lead free Solder is the thing to use. There is already enough lead in the environment and too many idiots around without lead damaged brains too.

Lead free Solder needs a higher temperature to melt which some folk angst about. For your lamp repair Lead free and a simple bolt will do fine. FFS. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:39 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you weren't supposed to use solder on vehicles because they aren't very good at handling vibration?

Crimping is the best method, and It's what i've always used. I just buy multi way waterproof automotive connectors from Ebay and crimp on the pins. I did this on my YPVS and on my Buell and both are perfectly fine. You can add a little solder to the crimp if you want for belt and braces, but solder on its own can break from what I understand.

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I thought you weren't supposed to use solder on vehicles because they aren't very good at handling vibration?

Crimping is the best method, and It's what i've always used. I just buy multi way waterproof automotive connectors from Ebay and crimp on the pins. I did this on my YPVS and on my Buell and both are perfectly fine. You can add a little solder to the crimp if you want for belt and braces, but solder on its own can break from what I understand.

Funny you say that. Most bikes i have worked on have soldered connections for ring terminals etc from the factory! Alot of Honda's have this on their battery terminals and starter solenoids plus other makes

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Isn't it screw terminals which are the no-no for that reason?

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:21 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chris-red wrote:

I think you do. A soldering station will maintain a set temperature whereas a simple iron won't.

Chris-red wrote:
Also if you are doing it outside you will need something powerful. I can't remember if my iron was a 40 or 60w but it struggled outside in the cold doing the same job. Even at max it struggled getting the wire hot.

You don't need one, I have a soldering station, I also have 2 cheaper irons, one with temperature control one without.

I have soldered components to a PCB with the non temperature controlled one. Bike wiring is easy, you just need something hot. I could solder bike wiring with a screwdriver and a blow torch I reckon.

A soldering station makes component work much easier. I'd chose a normal iron to work on a bike because you do not have to worry about where the base station is.

TL;DR you don't need one, I have done it without, were I doing it again I wouldn't use my station.

Last edited by chris-red on 13:25 - 16 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:24 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

In generally I would go for crimps however sometimes crimps are too bulky of if you wire in chinky leds they are too big for the hair thickness wiring. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

We used to solder all the time on ships rather than any other methods and ships vibrate continuously. I don't remember ever having problems. We used to use silver solder though so I don't know if that made a difference.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:55 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solder is ok for totally stationary (so say a loop going from one point in a fuse box to another) or totally flexible (re-joining a wire in a loom that's been cut) wiring.

It shouldn't be used for something that is semi-stationary (ie, one end is stationary and the wire attaches to it. Like a bulb holder, chassis earth etc.).

The reason being, when you solder a cable, unless you are VERY prescice, the solder tracks along the cable a bit. Where the solder is is hard, the cable immediately below it is soft, softer than the rest because the heat has annealed the copper. This causes a stress point to form immediately below the solder.

If the cable starts to bend/flex, the copper flexes then work hardens directly below the tinned portion and eventually breaks inside the insulation.

ANY wiring on a motorcycle should also have stress relief incorporating and sealing closed the insulation. So that can be adhesive filled heat shrink or a crimp with a double crimp, one of which grips the cable, the other grips the insulation. If you don't seal the insulation, water will track along the insulation and corrode the cable.

In fairness, while I find the non-insulated crimps with simicone sleves more aesthetically pleasing, the plastic pre-insulated ones get a better hold. Both need to be correctly crimped using an appropriate crimping die. Both need a crimp on the cable and a carimp on the insulation. The pre-insulated plastic ones do come as a butt crimp. This requires a total of 4 crimps.

You als get butt crimps with solder and heat shrink incorporated in them, you stick the wires in the ends and heat the whole thing. I thought these looked rather neat but have never used them.

EDIT: You can easily flow solder into a non-insulated crimp after crimping it if you want. This would be much better than trying to crimp the pre-tinned end of a cable.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:13 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get into 'reliabilty' options then you open up a completely different Can of Worims.

Even with 'connectors' there are good and bad.

For the most part you must decide what you need the connection to do and what your budget and patience can stand.

The most commonly used vehicular connector is the Duetsch make/type.
These are weather-proof, and structurally able to deal with normal, and in some cases severe, mechanical loading. Very compact size. Very reliable connection and very simple to assemble after some instruction.
They do need specific tools to assemble (and disassemble) either extortionately expensive branded or cheaper not-nearly-as-good imperfect clones that are not too bad.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/products/connectors/automotive-connectors/intersection/deutsch-dt-series-connectors.html?tab=pgp-story&variant=b

You can also use less robust/reliable spade or bullet crimp connectors.

But we were asking about soldering the connections. Very Happy

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:28 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Weller W61 is the answer. Looks like a normal iron (so no faffy base when you are working on a vehicle or away from a bench), wide choice of tip sizes, 60W so plenty of power for heating up big joints, and thermostatically controlled by the tip (you change the tip to change the temperature - so can choose a fine needle tip with a cool setting, or a really big one with a hot setting, or anywhere in the middle). I've never, ever found the need to change the iron temperature in the middle of a job, so a digital readout with a twiddly knob setting isn't really useful at all.

My W60 (the predecessor) was bought back in around 1992, has had heavy use and is still my go-to iron. Everything is still available as spares for it - most shared with W61.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:23 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We may have been asking about soldering but the correct answer may well be "Don't solder, crimp them instead.". Which naturally leads to a discussion about what sort of crimp.

In the same way as a thread about which brand of adjustable spanner is best for doing up my cam cap bolts should lead to a discussion about sockets and torque wrenches.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the subject is abut soldering/repair but sometimes
(if possible/not a complete arse ache)
I've found laying in new cable a neater method as ign switch wiring runs close to the headstock on most bikes

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:56 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I know the subject is abut soldering/repair but sometimes
(if possible/not a complete arse ache)
I've found laying in new cable a neater method as ign switch wiring runs close to the headstock on most bikes

Or making up a new sub-loom with a multiblock connector from where they've been cut with wiring going out to all the necessary componants.

My oppinion on wiring heated grips/accessories into the headlamp wiring has been expressed elsewhere...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these. And they are reusable. I've had my Parrot kit in and out of about 6 different vehicles. I leave one of these
on the end of each of the main power wires. Pricey but worth it. Robust, easy to use. I got a mixed box in Maplins a long
time ago, I'm deeply aggrieved if I have to leave one in a vehicle, they are easily as strong as an unbroken wire so movement
isn't an issue, Where I've needed a more watertight connection then a bit a dot of clear silicone in the ends first then heatshrink
over the top has done the job, most recently fitting the Stebel Nautilus to the Sprinter, just behind the grille, so watertight was
important. Also completely idiot proof requiring no more skill than it takes to unscrew a lid and put it back on again which
I find very handy.

https://www.posi-products.com/posilock.html

Heres some on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POSI-LOCK-PL1416-Connectors/222691295736?hash=item33d96f81f8:m:m4W1_hpARvy-06o-XD6rwiQ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2