Wat do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:47 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Wat do? Reply with quote

I have a clear first world problem.

Currently have a 2014 Triumph Thruxton Ace. Yes, one of those pompous lumps that Triumph threw a couple of cosmetic mods on, slapped on a limited edition plaque and seduced me into buying for lots of ponds. Granted it is a very pretty lump, if you like that sort of thing.

Now in 2 years of ownership I've only done 1800 miles and it hasn't seen the light of day since about October. If I feel the need to wobble about on icy roads and spend afternoons dragging my bike out of bushes I have a Honda GC that I don't mind getting grotty and an SV that is sort of communal in the wider family.

So the Triumph is the very definition of a garage queen and I'm not sure I can justify keeping it when I have plenty of home projects I could use an injection of capital on. The price of these things appears to be appreciating so even when riding the Thruxton in good weather I just think that I'm buggering the re-sale by adding mileage. It also doesn't set my world alight, but lets face it none of my previous bikes have either. Did I mention that it looks rather nice though?

So the quandary is: is it worth keeping the Thruxton as a future investment (that I'll likely not ride often) or sell, install some much needed central heating, and hope there's some change in the pot for half decent bike that I might actually enjoy wheeling out of the garage and not have the fear of scrote thievery each time I park it somewhere?

I suspect I've answered my own question tbh.

but it's so pretty Crying or Very sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:56 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Wat do? Reply with quote

Sell it, buy heating, live long enough to spend the change on a brand new Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 when they release it.

It'll still sit around in your garage unridden, but that'll be by necessity rather than choice, so you'll feel bitter anger rather than guilt. Win.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it. Even if it's just to get a rise out of Bodyform. That said, I wouldn't use money I needed elsewhere to buy
a toy in the first place. The Spacker was paid for with spare cash that was being eaten away slowly on ordinary things
like shopping and diesel and stuff. Better tied up in a bike than gone with nothing appreciable to show for it.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Wat do? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sell it, buy heating, live long enough to spend the change on a brand new Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 when they release it.

It'll still sit around in your garage unridden, but that'll be by necessity rather than choice, so you'll feel bitter anger rather than guilt. Win.

if you're not really using it and don't get any more enjoyment out of it than the SV then might as well sell it towards something you'll enjoy / need.

@ Rog what?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got to go, innit.

Either: will that warm feeling you get from just knowing you have a Thruxton Ace gathering cobwebs in the garage actually be enough to prevent your nuts from freezing off with no central heating?

Or: if the only real justification you have for keeping it is that it's (potentially) gaining in value, then I'd say that there are an awful lot easier and more convenient ways to invest your hard-earned than in a quarter-ton lump of steel clogging up a usable-bike-shaped hole in your garage...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to justify owning a bike the only people who would have them are city commuters.

Bikes are toys, and just like any other form of enjoyment, come with a price.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:59 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Wat do? Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
Sell it, buy heating, live long enough to spend the change on a brand new Royal Enfield Continental GT 650 .

@ Rog what?

Yes. RE are eventually bringing out a 650 twin unit construction engine. They have gone full retard and called it a continental GT which was a 250 single in the late 1950's (But odder than a single cylinder CBR250?). Also interceptor model which was at least a twin.

Sell the trumpet, buy a 2003/04 pre-unit 500 Bullet OP. They are going for stupid money and getting more expensive by the week but are still "cheap". You might even try riding it, they are a hoot (in a "I can't believe this is allowed on the road" kind of way).

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 16 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell it I say, and either use some of the cash to buy a very silly little fun bike that you'll just laugh your cock off when you do ride it.

Or use cash to get your priority jobs done and put anything left in a dedicated replace bike fund. I do share save plans at work that finish every 5years. That's enough time to save for anything you want within reason so you can come back with whatever steel horse floats your boat.

If your keeping the CG, you might find that's all you need bike wise? Though obviously don't come and tell everyone on BCF that though, or get sand in your vagina etc! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:56 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you already know what you need to do. Bikes come and go, there's no shame in admitting to yourself you did a silly just move it on do what needs to be done.

Spamalittle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:00 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys

Seems the consensus is to get shot and I tend to agree. If anything just so I don't take the artist formerly known as bodysock's advice.

I'll put it through its first mot and stick the feelers out to see if anyone will come up with a sensible offer.

Watch this space for obvious "what's a fun bike on budget?" thread.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell a shiny bike mid-winter. Great plan - should get loads for that!

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely wait until spring. You want to sell to polishers and toy owners.

We don't enter the garages until spring Laughing

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Definitely wait until spring. You want to sell to polishers and toy owners.

Definitely. I'm waiting till then before I sell either the VFR or the ZZR for that very reason. They're both well kept machines that will appeal to Sunday fair weather bikers. Winter bikers are looking for a bargain.

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

go and ride it

it's a winter thing, when you're not riding you forget what it's like and what it's capable of, then your mind wanders in the off season and you're thinking about it being a waste and other bikes and you visit the bike show and read magazines and online tests of new bike, I do it every year and thankfully realised what I really need is some new tyres.

Triumphs are popular and there's lots for sale, but it can be their undoing on the used market, a guy came into my work last year with a lovely tiger 1050 to part exchange and high hope's for it's value but when there's 220 other tiger 1050's for sale nationally any prospective buyer online will filter 'nearest' and 'lowest price' and that's where your bike has to be the most attractive to get buyers interested, and why any accessories should be removed instead of trying to increase the asking price, unless you've got panniers on a tiger or sprint as they're one of the few things that will help
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 58 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1