Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just passed my DAS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:20 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Just passed my DAS Reply with quote

I've recently passed my DAS after a 20 yr gap in riding bikes. (I spent 2-3yrs riding 125's in my younger yrs)

My plan is to ride my Dads near mint ER5 (which he has kindly given me) for my first season and then buy a VFR 800 for around £3000 next year. Is my plan a good one or not???

I live in Lincolnshire and want to use the bike for long commutes and local touring this year and maybe further a field next.

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated (PS I'm 46)

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:34 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as you but at age 40. I bought a nearly new ER6f but in all honesty and although it was a nice enough bike and
I had some fun on it, it wasn't setting my world on fire. As a PROUD weekend warrior, who only rides for fun I hankered after
something that was a bit more fun and with more theatre. I found that combination in the MT09 (with added race exhaust).
For commuting though you're probably onto a good thing with the ER5. I have a mate that ran one for about 8 years, never let
him down and to be honest, apart from consumables it never needed much spending on it at all. I think I'd probably want
something a bit bigger were I to tour but otherwise why not ride the ER5 for a bit and see what you think. If you have
a zero outlay bike available to you that's in good nick then why not?

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ER5 for my first bike. It never let me down. But it did get boring. For a hand-me-down that's pretty lucky. Having no bike right now, I'd bike someone's arm off for a free one. And would definitely consider one again for a budget-concious choice.
I can't comment on the VFR having never owned one. But they do look fantastic.

Congratulations!

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

After passing my test on a naked 650 will the ER5 feel like a step backwards? Im not picking it up until April and wondering is it the right decision? But your right it's hard to turn down a free bike.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it won't because when you're having lessons you're plodding around, maybe doing 60 and 70 for brief stretches, mostly 30 and 40. However, once you're out and about on the 5, you can crack on, rag it senseless and generally wring all the power from it. As you get better, at least. So in fact, the ER should feel like a step up, if you're riding it well. Don't go too mad on the rear brake though because I've read from owners on bcf that the drum is sometimes prone to going out of round. Whether this is because of inadequate servicing or some inherent weakness is maybe something you could try and suss out with a bit of googling / asking around etc.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, the bike shop where I passed my test said I'd be fed up with the 5 within weeks and I'd be back for a bigger bike.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say the Er5 has only done 10,000 miles and is only suffering from a bit of surface rust on the swinging arms.

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:09 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
After passing my test on a naked 650 will the ER5 feel like a step backwards? Im not picking it up until April and wondering is it the right decision? But your right it's hard to turn down a free bike.

I did my test on a 650 Gladius. Then bought the ER5. Trevor is right, riding a bike (regardless of size, type etc) is entirely different to going on your own. It didn't feel like a step backwards because I was never allowed to even attempt to push the Gladius to it's limits. It was mostly 30mph to 60mph roads in Peterborough, following/being followed by the instructor and another person in the same situation as me.

The ER5 is a boring bike compared to, well, most others. But it's a great bike to learn the basics with the training wheels off, particularly on the back-roads of Lincs.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan to me. The ER5 will teach you to work the bike and build your skills. VFR is a good progression too. I quite enjoyed my mates VFR although his new crossrunner is better again (riding position suits me better) if a little odd looking.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
No it won't because when you're having lessons you're plodding around, maybe doing 60 and 70 for brief stretches, mostly 30 and 40. However, once you're out and about on the 5, you can crack on, rag it senseless and generally wring all the power from it.

True dat, immediately after passing my DAS I took the wrong turning on the roundabout and was separated from
the instructor and student on our way back to the yard (#notalocal). The Fazer I had just passed on saw three figures
as I pushed on to catch them up. Point being that it felt very different after a good thrash than it did during lessons.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Enjoy it. Reply with quote

Of course the shop told you that it'd be boring. They want your money. They've sowed the seeds of doubt. Ignore them, there's better advice above.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:21 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments and advice, my original plan sounds to be the right one. Can anyone give me a bit more info on the VFR, will it be the right bike for the longer term (2-3 yrs)

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
The bike shop where I passed my test said

Yeah he's in salesman mode.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Test ride. Reply with quote

Have fun on the er5, go and test ride every bike you can whilst saving. Without comparing a few, you'll not have a objective view.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike shop said I'd struggle to test ride a bike as normal commercial insurance only covers them for people with over 3yrs experience after passing their test. Is this normal????????

Why would you buy a bike without testing it first?

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
The bike shop said I'd struggle to test ride a bike as normal commercial insurance only covers them for people with over 3yrs experience after passing their test. Is this normal????????

Why would you buy a bike without testing it first?

There are places that have such insurance as it's cheap. It's not exactly standard though, plenty of places let new riders try bikes, but some do have huge excess amounts though.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pjay that makes more sense

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Test rides. Reply with quote

This subject has no definitive answer. If the shop attached to your training school won't give you a test ride, avoid it. Yes, there are places that won't give new riders a chance. It's all down to insurance costs. However, as I've said before, using dealers that allow new riders to test ride will hopefully send a message. You can't as a new rider/sensible rider fork out thousands on something you're not sure of. (Yes, you can go through private sellers until you get a test ride.)

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll better know what you want from a bike once you've been rising for a while. You might find once you get out there youre priorities change so that's another reason why riding the ER5 for a bit is a good idea.

The VFR is a good all-rounder though. Quick enough and decent enough handling for giving it some beans yet comfortable and stable enough to tour around Europe with. Flexible enough for the commute too.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:00 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Just passed my DAS Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
(PS I'm 46)

You're nearly dead already, so I wouldn't waste time on the ER5. If you want a VFR, get a VFR. Tick tock, tick tock.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kgm, Thanks for the info on the VFR

Will I get a good one for around £3000 and do I buy the old/new model? I've done a bit of research but would like an independent view on which you feel is best? A low mileage good clean old model or high mileage etc new model?

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment on my imminent demise, I'm "trying" to be sensible with the ER5 and hope that extends my life for a few more years?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:39 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll certainly feel like you're living longer.

I jest, look at what I'm riding. It's a perfectly sensible plan.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 47. I have been riding bikes best part of 40 years, & had a full licence over quarter-century...... when they say "You'll get bored..." means that they expect you will have the same expectations they do, that the bike is like a play-station game, and IT is supposed to deliver the 'fun' when you turn it on.

Little hint, the 'fun' isn't in the bike, its in YOU.

Big bikes demand you take them a bit serious, hence I find they tend to 'lack' a lot of the fun you can have being a bit daft with a tiddler... which I probably AUGHT to take a bit more seriously, as at the end of the day, 125 can go as fast as any bike is legally allowed to in this country, and I can break just as many speed limits on one..... just takes a bit more effort!

Which is, to be honest where a heck of a lot of the 'fun' might be found.... ragging the crap out of the poor little thing, making it deliver 110% of all it has to offer.

It's a bit like siting down in a restaurant to a gourmet dinner...... "Yes, it's all very nice, but I couldn't eat like this EVERY night... I'd get bored of it!"..... and you know no different.... now go home, and cook yourself a bacon buttie..... it aint fancy, but its still tasty and YOU made it..... Now try cooking a lasagne...... (from 'base' ingredients!) bit more tricky, but a lot more rewarding, and so much nicer when you sit down top munch it!

ANY bike, can get boring, like your favorite dinner, IF it just becomes 'routine'

Big-Bikes are all well and good, but... ANY of them can get 'boring' if YOU let them...... then the 'change' is what offers the interest, adds the 'fun', and littluns can be as much or more fun from that difference as any, BUT its the change that's stirred the 'fun' to the surface; many riders find 'enough' difference just switching between different bikes of similar style or similar capacity, to stir their interest for a little longer... and as so many only ride high-days and holidays anyway, that 'may' be enough for them; but for other's, to get the 'thrill' back, they have to make a complete sea change; switching from a Hyper-Sports to a Motard, or Muscle-Bike to full-dress Tourer, or hop between, But STILL, they are looking for the BIKE to serve up the 'fun', which it has little ability to do....

What makes the FUN is the RIDING IT!!!!!

You just got to get out; crank miles, see scenery (and try not to become a bit of it!!) Different roads, different routes, different days, different WAYS of doing stuff..... THAT is where the 'fun' is to be found.

It Aint whatcha got, its whatcha do with it.....

VFR800?!?!?!? Will that be 'fun' for 2-3 years?!?!?!? Well, of all bikes ever built, I have to say that I found the veritable old VFR to be about THE blandest thing I have ever ridden....... bit like my Honda Civic car.... "Well what do you think?" to which I replied.... "err..... not a lot! No seriously! There's just NOTHING to remark upon!" The thing just did exactly what was expected, competently, quietly, without fuss or drama or niggle! It was about as remarkable and as much 'fun' as a washing machine!

I'm sure that like ANY bike, I could find the 'fun', going places, doing stuff, BUT it just ISN'T in the bike.... and of all bikes, the VFR is so well rounded it provides very very little 'added interest'.. which TBH is likely often desirable, unless you like trying to catch front end slides, or tame tail wagging antics and such... B-U-T.... to 'MY' mind, the VFR is a Honda Civic. IF you go search for it, you will find a lot of fun on it... but you could ANY bike.

VFR's forte is that it just does enough of everything its almost a one size fits all motorcycle, and I know enough folk who have owned a succession of them, who swear by them, and appreciate that all-round competence, that lets them go 'find' the fun, whether its a two-week tour of Spain, a week-end in the lakes, a day trip to the races, Or even a scratch round the circuit on a track-day.... VFR just gets on and does its thing and lets you 'find' the fun in whatever it happens to be...... mildly!

In a world of 'boring' bikes, where the ER5 is roundly critisised for its utterly utilitarian vanilla, a VFR is probably a natural progression, and likely to be that much 'more' of everything you hope and expect..... but 2-3 years? Like I said, its such a one-size-fits-all motorcycle, there are folk that have ridden them for 20-30 years and couldn't imagine buying anything else.... B-U-T

Fun is STILL not a quality that they can engineer into the mechanics. YOU have to go find it... hopefully the sort you prefer! Or any and every bike will quickly become 'boring' as you get over the new-toy-euphoria, and acclimatized to what it has to offer.

So sod the bike.... 'just go RIDE!!!!

That's where the fun's to be found, and what bike comes next doesn't matter.. Right here, right now, JUST ride THIS bit of road you are on, as far as the event horizon you can see! Don't be worrying about what may or may not be around the third corner to come, that you cant see yet.... there may be nothing there.... worry about THIS one coming up! And if there's NOTHING to worry about...... ENJOY!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm trying to relive my youth with slightly more sense, or just having a mid life crisis? Either way I just need a bit of sunshine and I can pretend I'm 18 again and pop to Skegness for a bag of chips.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 41 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3