Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just passed my DAS

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Just passed my DAS Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
My plan is to ride my Dads near mint ER5 (which he has kindly given me) for my first season and then buy a VFR 800 for around £3000 next year. Is my plan a good one or not???

It could be.

Once you've done the first day of DAS you'll have some idea of what you do and don't like about the ER5 type bike the DAS place uses.

There's no point making plans for what bike you're going to buy next year after you spend this year riding a free ER5.

The freeness of the ER5 makes it an easy choice IMO.

I wouldn't worry about what some salesman is saying about how you won't be allowed to test ride anything until you've had your license for three years. When you're seriously looking at buying a bike from them then they can make the necessary arrangements with their insurance company.

As an example okay it was 2006 rather than any time recently but when buying an expensive new 4x4, I was 19 and I'd had my car license for less than six months. They phoned their insurance company would wanted the dealer to take a photocopy of my license. Now, I'd had my full bike license for 3 years already and hadn't bothered to send my car test pass certificate off to the DVLA yet. I had my test pass certificate and was expecting for it to be asked for when they saw my license was only a provisional car license but they didn't notice. Laughing

The salesman will want his commision so even if you're a n00b without much experience then they will find a way for you to take the bike for a test ride just as long as they think you're serious about buying.

He'll want you to take the bike for a test ride so you can see how much amazingly more better than the ER5 you arrived there on is. So you can put a deposit on the VFR today, shall I get part ex price for your ER5?

Now the salesman will also get commision for selling credit so if you were to buy the vehicle on credit the salesman could be willing to accept a lower price for the VFR as he'll be getting commision for the finance.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste, Thanks for the info I'll take it onboard.

I was wondering if I'd make it to next year on the ER5 without trading up during this summer. But most of the comments on here lead me to believe that it will be fine for the first year.

I think I'm a ??relatively?? sensible rider ( if any rider can say that with a straight face ) and feel the VFR will be my natural progression. But test riding a few different bikes should hopefully confirm that before I sign on the dotted line. Plus with the comments on here I'll try and keep an open mind.

On a general note all the comments I've received have been really helpful and constructive and will go along way to helping me make the right decision.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
I think I'm a ??relatively?? sensible rider ( if any rider can say that with a straight face ) and feel the VFR will be my natural progression. But test riding a few different bikes should hopefully confirm that before I sign on the dotted line.

Agree on the taking the freebie ER5 now; why wouldn't you?
Not sure why you're getting so anxty about the bike you'll get after that though; I have no comments about the VFR but you've just passed your test and have a whole biking season ahead of you on a new bike - why not just enjoy that, learn loads more about riding (including what you like and don't like about riding in general and your bike in particular) and decide what will be the best next bike for you based on that experience? Which is I think what you are actually saying above?!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:18 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
I was wondering if I'd make it to next year on the ER5 without trading up during this summer. But most of the comments on here lead me to believe that it will be fine for the first year.

Approximately yeah.

You might be starting to get a little bit bored by the end of the summer and thinking more about how much better a VFR800 would be but then again, the face the ER5 is free is quite hard to beat!

Whatever your opinion of the bike itself, free is good. Laughing

PLus if you hold off buying until next year, you could buy the VFR after Christmas / in the new year when prices are cheaper. As a fair weather rider so what if it's sitting in your garage being polished until the weather picks up. Laughing

A VFR is a fairly appropriate good progression from an EF500, they're both relatively practical if not slightly boring / old man bikes. Mr. Green

tl'dr, take it one step at a time. Don't go making plans just yet, get your DAS and the free ER5 before worrying about stuff like that. A VFE800 might be for whatever reason quite uncomfortable for you, who knows. Who knows what you'll like and dislike about the ER5, once you know such things you'll be a much better position to figure out what to buy next.

Last edited by Ste on 22:13 - 17 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed it last week,

Mod-1 with a clean sheet (lad before me fell off - he'd built to much speed on the corner and couldn't make the bend?)

Mod-2 with 2x minors - 1x for hesitation passing a junction and 1x for taking a corner a bit wide

Hesitation for slowing down passing a junction - Was due to a car rolling forward without making eye contact.

Taking the corner wide - Was due to a bloody big pot hole in the road

But I just took it and said thank you - pass is a pass

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:34 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
eye contact.

That shit, off right now, it needs to be knocked.

There is no such thing as eye contact. There is you looking at a monkey-face, and imagining that because the monkey-eyes in that monkey-face are pointed in the general direction of your monkey-face, that you have formed some sort of monkey-bond.

In reality, the monkey-eyes are very likely looking right through you, at the gap in real traffic that you represent.

Look at the front wheels of the vehicle. It's not the monkey-face that's going to mash you up.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vehicle was rolling forward when I approached the junction and when I said he didn't make eye contact, I meant he didn't seem to acknowledge my presence.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
After passing my test on a naked 650 will the ER5 feel like a step backwards?

What naked 650?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
No it won't because when you're having lessons you're plodding around, maybe doing 60 and 70 for brief stretches, mostly 30 and 40. However, once you're out and about on the 5, you can crack on, rag it senseless and generally wring all the power from it. As you get better, at least. So in fact, the ER should feel like a step up, if you're riding it well. Don't go too mad on the rear brake though because I've read from owners on bcf that the drum is sometimes prone to going out of round. Whether this is because of inadequate servicing or some inherent weakness is maybe something you could try and suss out with a bit of googling / asking around etc.

I rode an ER5 on the first day of my DAS training, despite being my first time on a big bike and first time on country roads, I was bored out of my skull. The next day on a Bandit 650 I was loving it. Until meeting an ER5 I assumed all bikes were fun Smile

Personally having bought a ~50bhp bike post test having been scared of dying, nearly dying anyway and ending up on a ~100bhp/240kg bike 6 weeks later, I don't see the extra ponies as a problem. You'll need time getting to grips with whatever big bike you buy. The problem with the VFR is the extra weight, 50kg over the ER5 which isn't even that light to begin with.

As it's free (Dance!), and as you might drop it (I assume) being a bit out of practice, I'd go for the ER5. Just watch those brakes, they are truly shit. Also with no NCB it'll be cheap to insure.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:22 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learnt on a Suzuki Gladius 650 for
My CBT and Kawasaki Er6 650 naked bike for my Mod1 & Mod2

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Er5 Reply with quote

Ride er5 through summer, visit bike shops around the country who will let you test ride.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750

That sounds like a plan, thanks for yours and everyone helpful comments

Just need to join a local motorbike club that enjoys local-ish rides without the need to break the sound barrier on every trip. Every time I tell my wife that I'll be careful when on my bike, as if by magic an R1 passes my car on a blind bend on the wrong side of the road at over a 100+ mph. This gives the wife an excuse for a 30 mins lecture on the dangers of motorbikes. I'll be very far from a miss daisy rider and I'm sure I'll be touching three figures from time to time (??race track of course??)but people with death wishes don't help me getting my hands on the joint cheque book for when I do buy a new bike?

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about that one firefighter

I passed my DAS and despite being 46 with 20 years of driving/riding experience on vehicles ranging from push bikes to tanks every time I go out on the bike she thinks I am going to think I'm Barry sheene or the like
I been riding for about 6 months now no crashes no tickets and still no change from her
Any programme I watch that has a speeding motorbike in raises tuts and rolled eyebrows
All you can do is show her by example that you are not a loony and hope she releases the grip on the chequebook
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xfingers I'll have a trouble free few months and then get the go ahead to spend a few pounds

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Er5 Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Ride er5 through summer, visit bike shops around the country who will let you test ride.

What exactly was redundant talking about the exact bike in question?

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:31 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting a VFR 800 after the Er5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:43 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
Just need to join a local motorbike club

You really don't. I went out with the local M.C.C. a couple of times when I was freshly licensed up on the basis that I'd learn something.

As it turned out, I learned that experience is no indication of ability or judgement, and a group ride can go from casual to spirited to suicidal over the course of a single manoeuvre.

It's easy to say "just ride your own ride", but in the heat of the moment there's far too much pressure to not be the rider at the back, and to get sucked into overtakes or enter situations at speed on the basis that the rider in front knows what he's doing - which is often not the case.

If you enjoy it, go for it, but I'd actively advocate against group riding until you're confident of your own limits and your ability to stick to them.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:20 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1982 XL250 on L plates then cages until aged 55 in 2016 I did DAS and bought a Yamaha Virago XV750. I've just bought (you know what's coming) a Harley Iron 883 because as they say, Buy a Harley buy the best, ride a mile and walk the rest......

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad gave me very similar advice on group riding and that's also how a good friend of mine is no longer with us.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
I'm looking at getting a VFR 800 after the Er5

Hence why I gave my thoughts on an ER5 and a touring bike that matches the VFR in terms of power and weight.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 09:06 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your pass OP!

The default answer to your question is Street Triple.

In fact, I’m surprised it’s taken this long to come up! Very Happy

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:24 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To late, I've been and sat on a VFR today and have fallen for the lady. The problem is it's just a bit too perfect? Ultra low mileage, one careful owner, full set of genuine Honda supplied panniers and top box. Only £6,999. (Nearly 3yrs old)

This is really the bike I should be buying in a years time - (Sulking) I need to be sensible and boring and ride my Er-5 and get some valuable experience. Then in a while wrestle the cheque book from the wife when I've proven what a sensible chap I am?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:37 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefighter12345 wrote:
I've been and sat on a VFR today and have fallen for the lady.

That's like motorboating Kate Upton then going home to a pre-menstrual missus.

Firefighter12345 wrote:
This is really the bike I should be buying in a years time

Dead of a brain tumour in 6 months, you mark my words.

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:19 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might need a new wife if I bought the VFR this week, she just needs to understand the inner motorbike me a bit more first? I could always find a new wife to go with the VFR? Do you know any understanding lady's that like bikes, sex and are reasonable cooks?

Wanted future wife with spare VFR, please send picture and details of VFR

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:24 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

go and test ride loads of bikes while you can - if the VFR is still in your top 5 then ill be amazed..

Firefighter12...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and keep an open mind
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 59 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3