Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hood jeans - reduced due to CE

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Hood jeans - reduced due to CE Reply with quote

Just a heads up, from the Hood Jeans site - https://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/

Quote:
In 2018 Hood Jeans will celebrate twenty years within the motorcycle jean sector, in that time our jeans have never let a customer down when called upon to protect. However, new PPE regulations set for next year will mean a change to our jeans. In the time before the regulations come into play we will be offering our current original jeans at a 20% discount. When these jeans are gone, they are gone for good.

I love these for riding in; I got a pair of K7 with full kevlar and D3O armour a couple of summers ago - worn pretty much every day since and other than fading dye (as normal for jeans) they show zero actual wear. A pair of jeans I bought from J&S for close to £100 lasted less than a year before my arse was showing through them and a lot less time before the button pulled through the weedy denim; I hate to think what they'd have been like in an off.

Anyway, the K7 full kevlar are under £100 (or £122 with armour), the C6 that has kevlar in the most important places (and that is an awful lot more than most brands put in) are £58 including D3O armour. UK made, if they have your waist size they'll chop them down in the factory to fit your legs. I've just bought a pair of each.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:54 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Rainpal® style discount? Were they £120 last week? Thinking

I feel pretty sorry for decent manufacturers like Hood, as they'll actually go to the cost and bother of doing CE testing. Most of eBay is just going to (at most) slap "This label is CE approved" labels on their tat and carry on as before.

TbirdX
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:20 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of cheapie ebay ones a couple of years back and to be fair, they are pretty heavy, have half decent armour and they're still going strong, the fit is a bit iffy as I got the wrong size really and how good they would be in an off is another matter.

Bought a pair of the C6, hopefully these will be a better fit.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Rainpal style discount - I've bought a couple of pairs of K7 at their full price (£165 in June 2016 - one for me, then when I was kitting out my son bought the same for him as I was so impressed).

I do hope they can continue - I'd much rather buy from a UK family owned concern that makes quality kit at a good value price for what you get.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
I do hope they can continue

Me too - I have a pair of Hoods and certainly rate them.

However, as far as I can see this is not a case of 'UK manufacturer forced to close down because of stupid EU regs'; all that this seems to be about is that Hood have a load of old stock which don't meet the new PPE regs which they need to shift before these come into effect.

I have no idea why the current jeans don't meet the latest standard - in fact all Hood say is that there will be a "change to our jeans" , but even the most ardent Eurosceptic will struggle to make me believe that the new CE-compatible Hoods are going to be 'worse' than the current ones. So it does seem to me that they are being somewhat disingenuous with their "when these jeans are gone, they are gone for good".

No doubt the new jeans will have to be more expensive to absorb the extra CE testing costs etc, but other than that, there's no reason why prospective customers might not get a better garment if they hang on and buy the new version.

Samsbike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:36 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that they will still do jeans but they will have to meet certain criteria. To meet that criteria the jeans will probably not be exactly the same and will have additional bits like stirrups (but don’t quote me on this).

What I don’t know is if they can still sell this stock side by side, I don’t see why not.
kramdra This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, there's nothing to stop them selling the existing stock - as long as they don't sell it as motorcycle PPE. So they could sell them as robust gardening trousers <nudge nudge, wink wink> - which, funnily enough, is what some "motorcycle" gloves are defined as to get their CE mark.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Hood jeans - reduced due to CE Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Waist to knee, that is not full kevlar. Many injuries including rash can happen on the shin and below.

The knee pads fit where that vertical line is (that is velcro to allow full adjustability of the pad), the bottom of the pad is shin height. On me, the kevlar covers my calf, and is lower than the top of my boots. Saying it is knee-length is simply wrong.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As of the 21st of April 2018 all motorcycle clothing will be categorised as Personal Protective Equipment.

Quote:
Although there are many motorcycle garment manufacturers which have clothing tested by CE, it’s not currently a requirement to have it. Much of the clothing that is currently tested with CE however isn’t certified as a whole garment. This could mean, for example, that possibly only the armour or impact areas are CE certified, but with PPE Regulation 2016/425 all areas of the clothing will need to be tested and certified.

https://www.bikestop.co.uk/blog/bike-stops-guide-to-ppe-regulation-2016425

Also,
Quote:
As from Brexit Day, companies that wish to continue placing products on the EU market and that previously relied on conformity assessments carried out by a UK Notified Body, will no longer be able to rely on those.

Quote:
Once out of the EU, and absent any other arrangement, UK Notified Bodies will lose their status as EU Notified Bodies and will, therefore, no longer be able to carry out conformity assessment procedure under EU product legislation post-Brexit.

https://www.tradepractitioner.com/2018/01/ce-marking-post-brexit/#_ftn1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:43 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Hood jeans - reduced due to CE Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

https://www.mslmagazine.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/20/2016/08/084_Hood-K7-para-aramid-jeans-014.jpg

Waist to knee, that is not full kevlar. Many injuries including rash can happen on the shin and below.

Leathers do not stop at the top of the shin, just because the chance of injury is slightly less or the material is expensive.

therefore I will continue wearing cheap 5 quid primark jeans. I am not convinced by 60 quid partial, or 120 quid slightly-less-partial kevlar items.

Luckily it's waist to shin then.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:54 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Hood jeans - reduced due to CE Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
therefore I will continue wearing cheap 5 quid primark jeans. I am not convinced by 60 quid partial, or 120 quid slightly-less-partial kevlar items.

And you'll join me in the massive burn marks and missing skin from around the top of my legs and arse where jeans burnt through and I got some quality gravel picked out of my bleeding pus ridden skin.

Wasn't painful at all mate, go try it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Hood jeans - reduced due to CE Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
kramdra wrote:

And you'll join me in the massive burn marks and missing skin from around the top of my legs and arse where jeans burnt through and I got some quality gravel picked out of my bleeding pus ridden skin.

Wasn't painful at all mate, go try it.

There'll be no shortage of volunteers to help him try it in a SMIDSY type scenario either, I bet.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:29 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Hood jeans - reduced due to CE Reply with quote

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:
There'll be no shortage of volunteers to help him try it in a SMIDSY type scenario either, I bet.

I'll cheerfully run a belt sander over his groin to save a bike from getting damaged.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips on general sizing? My K-Jeans are still going strong but they're a bit long even being the smallest size they made (31" leg and I'm normally 30-32"). Fine with my riding boots on but not great if I'm wearing trainers.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 17 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K7s are good jeans but I find them to be quite heavy for walking any distance in during the warmer days, plus the sizing was a little larger than a standard 34". They're just that bit long in the leg too, at least the ones I received were. A good belt is a must...I sometimes do the whole belt n braces approach.

I wore Arlen Ness before and they were a better fit but didn't offer the level of protection as the Hoods.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Hood K7, used daily since 2011 (about 8k-10k a year).

After 5 years I did have to put patches on the knees.....nothing to do with behind the bins at Tesco, and sow the belt strips as the wore through. But they are jeans, made of cotton.

But agree with HT. Bought another set last year, same size and they were longer in the leg....but the kevlar stuff was lighter than previous.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stocking up on the C6. I wear (kevlar) jeans most days and while I've become a Draggin fanboy recently at this price I can't say no.

The K7 look a bit too sweaty for all day wear.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what it would cost to get my favourite work trousers lined with kevlar / para aramid / adamantium / etc.

I'd guess it'd take a special diamond encrusted needle or something.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:05 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
I'd guess it'd take a special diamond encrusted needle or something.

Bullshit jeans claim they have to use a lasah beam to cut their Unobtanium fabric.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:11 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set of K7 jeans. I replaced them after I crashed in them. I crashed at around 60mph+ (not 100% sure) and the lower half of my body was perfectly fine (apart from a broken foot - not related to the jeans) whereas my top half had gravel rash on my elbows, a little on my hands etc.

The jeans held up better than my cordura jacket and my Held kangaroo palm gloves - even without armour.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I had a set of K7 jeans. I replaced them after I crashed in them. I crashed at around 60mph+ (not 100% sure) and the lower half of my body was perfectly fine (apart from a broken foot - not related to the jeans) whereas my top half had gravel rash on my elbows, a little on my hands etc.

The jeans held up better than my cordura jacket and my Held kangaroo palm gloves - even without armour.

I should also add that the jeans were still useable apart from the fact that the back pockets had abraded away, leaving the jeans looking like something a haute couture fashion house would release when the fashion is for 'working class chic'.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
the back pockets had abraded away, leaving the jeans looking like something a haute couture fashion house would release when the fashion is for 'working class chic'.

What's wrong wiv 'crashed biker chic' though? Cool

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:57 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
MarJay wrote:
the back pockets had abraded away, leaving the jeans looking like something a haute couture fashion house would release when the fashion is for 'working class chic'.

What's wrong wiv 'crashed biker chic' though? Cool

It didn't look like that, it looked like 'abraded @rse chic'.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived today. First impressions are good. Won't know what they're like on a bike for a while yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2