Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki anti freeze...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:58 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Suzuki anti freeze... Reply with quote

Sunday 16.55 Hrs

Not quite the usual bike question - sorry chaps, but the wife's car is leaking anti freeze at the hose - dribbling out and along the drive (Suzuki Ignis 1.3GL). I'll get a jub clip tomorrow for it. In the meantime I need to top up the anti freeze. The car has the green stuff and all I have is my Halfords blue stuff for the bike. Any ideas if it's okay to mix? We live out in the sticks so not easy to just nip off to Tesco, she's worried and I need ideas - apart from divorce that is Wink

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:40 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Suzuki anti freeze... Reply with quote

Chris45 wrote:
Sunday 16.55 ...the wife's car is leaking anti freeze at the hose...

You need to fix that. The rate of leakage will probably
increase when the engine gets up to running temperature
and the cooling system is under pressure.

Quote:
dribbling out and along the drive

That stuff is very toxic for animals. Wash it away before
you poison the cat.

Quote:
(Suzuki Ignis 1.3GL). I'll get a jub clip tomorrow for it. In the meantime I need to top up the anti freeze. The car has the green stuff and all I have is my Halfords blue stuff for the bike. Any ideas if it's okay to mix?

It probably won't do any harm. As a short term fix, you
can just top it up with water. Fix the leak ASAP and then
fill the system with new coolant.

Quote:
We live out in the sticks so not easy to just nip off to Tesco, she's worried and I need ideas - apart from divorce that is Wink

Prestone sell a universal coolant that is compatible with
all other types and colours of coolant. You should find it
in local filling stations, motor factors, Tesco or DIY stores.
I use it in my Kawasaki.

Any coolant you put in will probably be lost tomorrow when you fix
the leaking hose. You may as well use clean water. Distilled
is best. Tap water should be ok unless you live in a hard water
area. A condenser clothes drier is a good source of 'distilled'
water. Your missus might even have a bottle of distilled water
for the steam iron....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Any old general purpose antifreeze will be fine. Blue, green, pink, whatever, don't believe the hyope. It's ethylene glycol with a corrosion inhibitor and dye. Even the really expensive stuff.

Apparently not the case any more. See below

Don't top up with water unless you are 100% happy it won't drop below 0 degrees tonight otherwise it might, you know, freeze.

In freezing conditions, it's better parked up empty than full of plain water. Top it up with plain water in the morning before you leave.

As mentioned above. Antifreeze tastes sweet and causes kidney failure if you drink it so chuck a bucket of water over the spillage in case any animals drink it.

EDIT: To see if your tap water is ok to use, have a look in the kettle. If the element is all crusty and minging, don't use your tap water unless you want the inside of your engine to look the same.

The ice that forms on the inside of your deep freeze is also distilled water.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 10:18 - 19 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:28 - 18 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stink, topped up the header with the last of the Halfords blue this eve, didn't need much anyway. Also remembered I had a jub clip lying around in one of the draws in the kitchen. The old clip was rusted away and just fell off, got the replacement one on tonight and that will do for now. She's happy and I get a quite life.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yes. Any old general purpose antifreeze will be fine. Blue, green, pink, whatever, don't believe the hyope. It's ethylene glycol with a corrosion inhibitor and dye. Even the really expensive stuff.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.cgj.com/2013/05/20/what-are-the-different-types-of-antifreeze-and-can-i-mix-them/

Some General Facts about Antifreeze

Automotive antifreeze has traditionally been made with ethylene glycol and Inorganic Acid Technology (IAT) corrosion inhibitors since 1926.

Newer corrosion inhibitor technology includes Organic Acid Technology (OAT) and Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT). Both may be referred to as “extended life” antifreeze and were introduced in the 1990′s.

IAT antifreeze has a 2 year or 30,000 mile service life, where OAT and HOAT have a 5 year or 150,000 mile service life.

OAT based antifreeze is not compatible with IAT antifreeze; although, some HOAT formulas claim compatibility with certain OAT formulas or IAT formulas.

Antifreeze is dyed to whatever color the manufacturer chooses and may help to distinguish the type of antifreeze (IAT, OAT or HOAT) or may be used to market variations of antifreeze formulas within a brand.

Just about every forum and source I can find says you should not mix OAT and IAT antifreezes as it can turn to a sludge.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:27 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Suzuki anti freeze... Reply with quote

Confusion wrote:
Chris45 wrote:
Sunday 16.55 ...the wife's car is leaking anti freeze at the hose...

You need to fix that. The rate of leakage will probably
increase when the engine gets up to running temperature
and the cooling system is under pressure.

Maybe in a BMW, otherwise it is questionable. Why is BMW special? Not sure about the latest models, but everything around E39 had very high pressure cooling system. The pressure was so high that if you used a non OEM or poor quality radiator, it would actually inflate it and the visco fan would hit it.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but that just it's odd. My car has a slight coolant leak from the main radiator. The leak only occurs when the car is stationary for a long period of time, let's say 2 weeks, and only in winter. It doesn't loose any coolant if used daily, or in summer.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Suzuki anti freeze... Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I'm not saying you are wrong, but that just it's odd. My car has a slight coolant leak from the main radiator. The leak only occurs when the car is stationary for a long period of time, let's say 2 weeks, and only in winter. It doesn't loose any coolant if used daily, or in summer.

Depends on the type of leak, and where. Metal expands when hot. That may stop the leak, that may make it worse. It's not black and white, but better safe than sorry.

OP - Wash the leaky stuff off, mi MIL had a cat due to antifreeze poisoning, and it isn't pleasant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap water is normally fine for filling a radiator. Clean river water is fine too.
Tap is not so good as an electrolyte though and de-ionised or distilled is recommended.

ANd modern anti-freeze is not just anti-freeze. Some are extended life or life-time which will not mix well with the cheaper stuff.

The coolant 'should' be replaced every two years to maintain protection. Mainly the inhibitor effectiveness.

The system should be flushed out then too. (From a hose from a tap.)

Collect all your old coolant and take to the recycle place where they have tanks to dump it in.

Antifreeze should be added at 50% mix. Better quality Neat antifreeze has 4% inhibitor added at the factory so when you dilute with water to 50:50 it provides the recommended 2% max inhibitor. Too much inhibitor is bad.

Not all antifreeze contains inhibitor. If it does it will state on the bottle how much.

P.S. I have adds at the bottom of the page for antifreeze testers.

There is a refraction type tester there by 'Draper' (Just their badge on it) for £68.
I got the exact same one (minus the Draper badge) from Ali-Express for about £12 last year. Very nice tool.

https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/ATC-Glycol-Refractometer-Car-Antifreeze-Battery-Acid-Engine-Coolant-Tester-Tool-RHA-503ATC-New-Arrival/32691969872.html

We have them in stock at work but we paid over US$130 for them. I checked how much we paid. Shocked (And we never have any money to buy tools. Rolling Eyes )

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:19 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Are you sure about that?

Well, I was but apparently it's not the case any more.

We live and learn.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Tap water is normally fine for filling a radiator. Clean river water is fine too.
Tap is not so good as an electrolyte though and de-ionised or distilled is recommended.

I've heard you should not use de-ionised/distilled water, as it eats the metal bits of your engine. Especially if your engine is made out of different metals (head vs block/cylinders). Thinking

Fresh water + ethylene glycol is the way to go. At least that's what the car/motorcycle manufacturers say, unless it's all a grand scheme of planned aging of the cooling system. Neutral

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:24 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
MCN wrote:

I've heard you should not use de-ionised/distilled water, as it eats the metal bits of your engine. Especially if your engine is made out of different metals (head vs block/cylinders). Thinking

Fresh water + ethylene glycol is the way to go. At least that's what the car/motorcycle manufacturers say, unless it's all a grand scheme of planned aging of the cooling system. Neutral

De-Ionised or distilled water will balance it's mineral level but it probably won't be too significant.

The inhibitor compounds will prevent the water dissolving the block.

Not using inhibitor is the most damage you can do.

It is just a bit extravagant to go to the bother/expense to fill a cooling system.

The main deal is to use clean water. No solids in. i.e. lumps of cow shite or clumps of algae and cetera.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:48 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Collect all your old coolant and take to the recycle place where they have tanks to dump it in.

"Funny".

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:54 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Suzuki anti freeze... Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

Maybe in a BMW, otherwise it is questionable. Why is BMW special? Not sure about the latest models, but everything around E39 had very high pressure cooling system. The pressure was so high that if you used a non OEM or poor quality radiator, it would actually inflate it and the visco fan would hit it.

Really, What sort of very high pressure do they use?

My E38 has the M62TUB44 engine which was also used in the E39. I know these cars very well and have never heard any of this.
If the cooling system is over pressuring, you've either got air in it or a head leak somewhere. They are not designed to run "very high pressure" cooling systems, that's nonsense. The only benefit of allowing a coolant system to pressurise (all do when hot), is to raise the boiling point, so why would the boiling point need to be far higher in a BMW only?

I wouldn't say it, unless I saw literary inflated cooling radiator in a E39. The radiator was a cheap aftermarket part. It got inflated so much the viscous fan hit it. The engine was in a pefect working order.

Also, these engines run 2.0 BAR release pressure caps, why is that?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Suzuki anti freeze... Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
I wouldn't say it, unless I saw literary inflated cooling radiator in a E39. The radiator was a cheap aftermarket part. It got inflated so much the viscous fan hit it. The engine was in a pefect working order.

Also, these engines run 2.0 BAR release pressure caps, why is that?

2 bar is high (for a car).
Cars 'normally' operate at 13 PSI (1 bar plus change) BIG industrial size engines run about 4 PSI due to the static pressure of the coolant.

So 2 bar (28 PSI) is high pressure cooling system.
I have never needed to worry about it on my BMW so never had to know. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Racers will run distilled water in their bikes and drain it after the meeting. Anitfreeze is slippy if it gets on the track.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why on earth would I make this up? Confused

Not the same way my mate's was, but similar. His radiator interfered with the visco fan: https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/79269-radiator-what-to-look-for/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1