Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road Racing in Yorkshire?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would You Like to Compete in a Road Race Event Held in Yorkshire?
No I Am Not a Racer
63%
 63%  [ 14 ]
No but I Would Like to Marshall at an Event
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I Own or Work For a Team and Would Like to be Involved
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Yes I would be Interested
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
No I wouldn't want too
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Yes I Would Want too, Dependant on the Course
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 22

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:
That sounds like the biggest waste of time for a degree ever Laughing

Nexus Icon would probably be best qualified to answer this but I don't think they like uber specific motorsport degrees in motorsport. I once had aspirations to do a similar course (except it was a BEng) Embarassed I ended up doing an equally pointless BSc and now do manual labour Thumbs Up

In my experience, managers in motorsport have all started at or near the bottom of their respective ladders in one of the teams. Ross Brawn was a machinist, Cyril Abiteboul worked in IT, Bob Bell was an aerodynamicist, Toto Wolff was a driver and later bought his way into F1 via investments, Christian Horner was a driver, Monisha Kaltenborn was a lawyer who bought shares in the Sauber team back in the day. There are lower level managers but I can't think of any off the top of my head who haven't been promoted into the position from more junior, technical roles.

When we were Lotus, we had a few hedge fund type managers placed around the company but none of them are in Formula 1 now, to my knowledge.

It's a place where technical people can be made to manage money or other people but the money-minded seldom get their heads round the technical side of things - needed to make the team function.

There are exceptions, of course. Flavio Briatore was hugely successful as a team boss and a great motivator too, despite being from a retail background. Ron Dennis was a money man whose legendary authoritarianism gave decent results for a long period of time and Ferrari often promote workforce managers into their senior roles but, as a rule, the technical side comes first.

As for general employment in F1, a degree may help get your CV on the right pile but they will more often hire the right person rather than the most qualified on paper.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Road Racing in Yorkshire? Reply with quote

Harley The Student wrote:

No I wouldn't want too
Yes I Would Want too, Dependant on the Course

Surely someone studying for a degree should know the difference between "to" and "too" ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2