Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Spill Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:47 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: 2018 Spill Thread Reply with quote

Apologies if there already is one, I did much a searchness.

Place spills here.

Rules:
1. Give it a *consecutive* number;
2. Brief details;
3. Open your own thread to discuss, display artistic talents via Paint.

So if you don't put it here, Shocked it never happened Shocked - no matter how many posts/views you get on your own thread about it. Nobody really cares enough to bother to collect your stats from other threads.

4. If you die, don't put it here. Open your own post-mortality thread for the relative sympathy. Gory pics welcome but must include NSFW tag.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:57 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be first then:

Riding to work in 0 degree weather and lost the front end on some black ice / diesel. I can't remember exactly what I did wrong other than lean in but before I knew it I was on my arse watching my pride and joy slide away from me.

Luckily it was only 20mph or so and the bike's crash bobbin protected the majority of the fairings.

I'll whack a paint diagram up in a bit, crash damage pics for now:

https://i.imgur.com/AEYwgki.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gsfKkO3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Ihcc3r0.jpg

I'm fine, slid on my arse for about 2 metres and got straight up to pick up the bike.

Tom.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: 2018 Spill Thread Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Apologies if there already is one, I did much a searchness.

Place spills here.

Rules:
2. Brief details;

So if you don't put it here, Shocked it never happened Shocked - no matter how many posts/views you get on your own thread about it. Nobody really cares enough to bother to collect your stats from other threads.

4. If you die, don't put it here. Open your own post-mortality thread for the relative sympathy. Gory pics welcome but must include NSFW tag.

Unlucky. I had a very similar experience a couple of months ago.

One thing to add is that I'm glad I hadn't wasted £££'s on crash bobbins after seeing those pics.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Chuffin Nora
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Place spills here.

Rules:
2. Brief details;

Thinking

Is it
Thread ends after 50 spills
or
First to 10?

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:13 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: 2018 Spill Thread Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:

Unlucky. I had a very similar experience a couple of months ago.

One thing to add is that I'm glad I hadn't wasted £££'s on crash bobbins after seeing those pics.

It actually saved a hell of a lot of damage to the bike. They're designed to bend up like that (otherwise the bike would flip). A few scratches on the fairing is far better than a dented tank and scraped tail section. I'll be replacing it tomorrow.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:24 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't crash bobbins a bastuard for bending the frame or whatever they're connected to, too?

You might want to play some attention to the bolts just above, but inside of, the damaged fairing: looks like the damage has sheered the heads of whole.

So what about zero degree weather appealed for a ride? I find anything below five renders a slow warm up, lumpy shifting and cold hands and then there's the less grip because colder tires. Not taking a dig, of course, just interested.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Aren't crash bobbins a bastuard for bending the frame or whatever they're connected to, too?

You might want to play some attention to the bolts just above, but inside of, the damaged fairing: looks like the damage has sheered the heads of whole.

So what about zero degree weather appealed for a ride? I find anything below five renders a slow warm up, lumpy shifting and cold hands and then there's the less grip because colder tires. Not taking a dig, of course, just interested.

Filtering innit. 😄

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Not sure about OP, but if I don't ride to work, I won't be going to work at all. Weather is immaterial, buses stop at first sign of snow or ice, and won't get me there on time anyway.

Some people *have* to ride, and enjoy riding, even if it's a bit cold out.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:48 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

What about it? Wear appropriate clothing, perhaps handlebar muffs, and the bike is soon warm enough once on the motorway. I've found..

Tucano Urbano muffs
Richa Cold Protect Gloves
A neck warmer
Armadillo Jacket
Kevlar Lined Jeans
Oxford Bone Dry boots
Thermal socks
Cheap Aldi waterproof over trousers (if it's raining or snowing)

Are more than enough to keep me warm on the 60mile run to work, no matter how much the temperature has dropped, never found a need to purchase heated grips. My biggest gripe is when the gritters are deployed, if the temperature drops below -6, why, bother with gritting the road? As, as the temperature start to drop below that, the salt is less effective, and, if it's spread on 'dry' ice it won't work at all until is gets damp.

Anyhow, can tell spring is approaching, I'm already back to wearing my summer jacket Thumbs Up

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:17 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine casing bolts are a bit knackered yeah, I've wound them out with some pliers and replaced them.

It wasn't really by choice, but I don't normally mind riding in the cold. My car had a flat tyre and I'd left it far too late to sort. It was far easier to chuck a few layers on and hop on the bike. Live and learn eh!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
I'll whack a paint diagram up in a bit,

<op-will-memepic.gif>

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:27 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/McbhYfa.jpg

Dreadful effort but I'm an utter spastic with computers. Red line was my route, dotted line was my intended route, first black X is where I stopped, second black X is where the bike ended up after sliding down the hill.

It really was very weird, I've been that way a few times and never noticed anything slippy on the road. Lorries use it a lot though so I assume it was diesel or a bit of ice. I'm just annoyed that of all the places I've ridden to in the past, Lye was my first off.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten minutes after creating the crash thread op crashes Sad

I'll give you tree fiddy for the wreckage inb4 paddy, now the frame is compromised. Thumbs Up

I've refused to use the bike 3 deg c or below after almost having a similar episode. Lucky for you that there wasn't any oncoming traffic to ruin your day.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky Op. Sad

Ive "Lost" the front wheel a handful of times on ice / wet leaves in the past, luckily managed to catch it each time though.

I think having no crash bungs helps! Laughing

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:08 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
NJD wrote:

What about it? Wear appropriate clothing, perhaps handlebar muffs, and the bike is soon warm enough once on the motorway. I've found..

Tucano Urbano muffs
Richa Cold Protect Gloves
A neck warmer
Armadillo Jacket
Kevlar Lined Jeans
Oxford Bone Dry boots
Thermal socks
Cheap Aldi waterproof over trousers (if it's raining or snowing)

Are more than enough to keep me warm on the 60mile run to work, no matter how much the temperature has dropped, never found a need to purchase heated grips. My biggest gripe is when the gritters are deployed, if the temperature drops below -6, why, bother with gritting the road? As, as the temperature start to drop below that, the salt is less effective, and, if it's spread on 'dry' ice it won't work at all until is gets damp.

Anyhow, can tell spring is approaching, I'm already back to wearing my summer jacket Thumbs Up

Please tell us more about how you ride your chinese shitbox rattlers in all weather, you've never mentioned it before

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

Please tell us more about how you ride your chinese shitbox rattlers in all weather, you've never mentioned it before

I also mentioned it's warming up, so, who knows, in only 5 months or so, you might, just might get a dry and sunny enough period to get your piece of american built agricultural machinery out, and don the suitable attire

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61bz0GB1AQL.jpg

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:29 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Ive "Lost" the front wheel a handful of times on ice / wet leaves in the past, luckily managed to catch it each time though.

How (genuine question)? Every slide I've had on a bike or even in a cage has been over before I really realised what was going on. That includes hitting ice and spinning up the rear in the wet.

"Do nowt it'll sort itself out" Very Happy

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:45 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Bonnie Lad wrote:

I also mentioned it's warming up, so, who knows, in only 5 months or so, you might, just might get a dry and sunny enough period to get your piece of american built agricultural machinery out, and don the suitable attire

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61bz0GB1AQL.jpg

My bike has been out on numerous occasions over winter

However, due to the fact I can a) afford to use covered transport to get to work, and b) the fact my bike is worth more than 50p and a bag of prawn crackers I haven't taken it out in all weathers and then endlessly gone on about it on here like it's anything other than a shit experience

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

How (genuine question)? Every slide I've had on a bike or even in a cage has been over before I really realised what was going on. That includes hitting ice and spinning up the rear in the wet.

"Do nowt it'll sort itself out" Very Happy

Not entirely sure. All were st slow speeds if that helps!?

The two I remember are - rolling up to a right hand fork in the road from the left lane, and as I was passing the point of no
Return, a car appeared coming towards me as I was about to turn in front of him. Grabbed a handful of front and both feet down and slid for about 6 inches.

The other one is on here somewhere in the videos section. Night riding on a country lane and I lost concentration and rode in the middle with all the shit. That again. We're a foot down to stop it going over.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

However, due to the fact I can a) afford to use covered transport to get to work, and b) the fact my bike is worth more than 50p and a bag of prawn crackers I haven't taken it out in all weathers and then endlessly gone on about it on here like it's anything other than a shit experience

Well, good on you, what a good boy. I hate to say this, but I too own a car, oh, and a motorhome, so it has absolutely noting to do with affordability. It does howover, make a huge difference to the journey time when I feel it necessary to go into the office. Now, if you can't ride your bike in all weather, not much value as a regular form of transport, also, other than rain, why is riding in winter weather a crappy experience, personally I quite enjoy it. I can understand, perhaps in scotland, where the winter weather can be worse than in the rest of the UK, the UK doesn't really get 'bad' winter weather. At worst, it gets a bit nippy and a bit wet, but you couldn't call it extreme.

I have to admit, I'm beginning to feel like you're stalking me, which, whilst I'm flattered, I have to say the missus might take exception ..

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:44 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy riding in the winter, even after coming off.
I wasn't cold or wet particularly, just didn't read the conditions correctly and had a spaz.

It's a time saving thing for me too, I can get to work in 20 mins on the bike, the same journey takes over an hour in the car. The black country is dire (in general) but especially concerning traffic.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Bonnie Lad wrote:

Well, good on you, what a good boy. I hate to say this, but I too own a car, oh, and a motorhome, so it has absolutely noting to do with affordability. It does howover, make a huge difference to the journey time when I feel it necessary to go into the office. Now, if you can't ride your bike in all weather, not much value as a regular form of transport, also, other than rain, why is riding in winter weather a crappy experience, personally I quite enjoy it. I can understand, perhaps in scotland, where the winter weather can be worse than in the rest of the UK, the UK doesn't really get 'bad' winter weather. At worst, it gets a bit nippy and a bit wet, but you couldn't call it extreme.

I have to admit, I'm beginning to feel like you're stalking me, which, whilst I'm flattered, I have to say the missus might take exception ..

You did this shite 'stalking' craic before - you don't have a very good grasp on the concept of stalking if you equate it to me laughing at your Chinese spamfests once every few months

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bonnie Lad"]
linuxyeti wrote:

You did this shite 'stalking' craic before - you don't have a very good grasp on the concept of stalking if you equate it to me laughing at your Chinese spamfests once every few months

It's not a craic, you really do seem to be stalking me, you actively seem to search out my posts, but, I don't wear assless chaps i'm afraid !! I really don't think you're my type, and I very certain you're not mine.

Especially, when you consider that you've responded on here, saying you're laughing at my chinese spam fest, however, at no point did I mention a bike, I simply responded to someone who commented about winter riding, but hey, I appreciate you're not really concentrating on the content of the post. I would laugh at you, but I can't, I do pity you though.

There are sites I'm where I'm sure you can find like mined men ..

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:46 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuffin Nora wrote:
Thread ends after 50 spills
or
First to 10?

Or a knockout, the way we're going.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:48 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

It's not a craic, you really do seem to be stalking me, you actively seem to search out my posts, but, I don't wear assless chaps i'm afraid !! I really don't think you're my type, and I very certain you're not mine.

Especially, when you consider that you've responded on here, saying you're laughing at my chinese spam fest, however, at no point did I mention a bike, I simply responded to someone who commented about winter riding, but hey, I appreciate you're not really concentrating on the content of the post. I would laugh at you, but I can't, I do pity you though.

There are sites I'm where I'm sure you can find like mined men ..

Nothing in that multi paragraph sperge fest refutes anything I said - you keep rattling on about stalking despite the fact I very rarely engage with you (or anyone else for that matter) on here.

You also appear to have a bizarre fascination with arseless chaps and men on the internet which I'd appreciate it if you left me out of
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3