Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

6v to 12v 100cc smoker

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:59 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: 6v to 12v 100cc smoker Reply with quote

is it worth swapping over to a 12 volt? building a rigid outa this 92 h100 (I know it sounds ridiculous but when its done pics will come and you'll be surprised). a fellow member on this forum got a solid 20+ bhp outta his on a narrow powerband and instead I'm opting for 15 bhp on a wider power band getting it ported professionally. anyway, I've bought a 4.5 inch headlight to sit nice and tight but I'm not sure if re installing the 6v bulb is gunna chuck out enough light. any advice on a conversion.

oh and those who are interested...
-custom expansion chamber
-made rigid
-custom fibreglass seat
-old sportster tank
-tall thin bars for lanesplittin
-custom electrics box and oil tank
-upgraded reed valve
-flat slide carb
-good quality cone air filter
-Athena 125cc big bore kit (ported)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What colour Power Band will you use? Thinking

FYI, Those green ones are maybe cheap but they do not last the time between your oil changes on those bikes. But good for a laph.

I have a BSA on 6V which I will change (some day) to 12v so I can use better bulbs and fit Electronic Ignition.

In the throws of doing this I found a chap who knows of the Wizardry surrounding such things. I will rake through my archive to see what I have on it.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 19 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
What colour Power Band will you use? Thinking

FYI, Those green ones are maybe cheap but they do not last the time between your oil changes on those bikes. But good for a laph.

I have a BSA on 6V which I will change (some day) to 12v so I can use better bulbs and fit Electronic Ignition.

In the throws of doing this I found a chap who knows of the Wizardry surrounding such things. I will rake through my archive to see what I have on it.

VERY funny..... you know what I meant! instead of porting for maximum bhp porting to be usable

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:52 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v 100cc smoker Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
(I know it sounds ridiculous but when its done pics will come and you'll be surprised)

You'll have wasted even more money than we thought possible?

I'd just get some appropriate LEDs wired up and stick to the 6v personally.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:40 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all sounds rather German-Hipster-Punk... I believe they rather took to the H100 after the demise of MZ.... b ut the idea of down-grading the suspension to err... having none! AND uprating the engine to potentially pound pot-holes-harder! Shocked ! Shocked ! Very German Hipster Punk!!!! Butr any-way!

You cant get a quart out of a pint pot... to make 12v you have to have a generator that makes more than 12v to start with.. which... conveniently many older magneto systems DO! Just... occassionally...

I did this to my air-cooled Yammie, without replacing the mag; using a Chinese Honda-Clone pit-bike regulator/rectifier, to re-regulate genny out-put to 12v and charge a tiny 2Ah, I think, battery.

THAT was the easy bit......

That was ALSO the 'cheap' bit!

The regulator, I think cost less than £10.... BUT, the battery cost £20! Then I had to re-wire the entire bike, as the old 6v system was 'AC-Direct-Lighting', so headlamp and tail got unregulated volts direct from the mag off one winding, all other equipment took charge from the battery, which was charged from another winding, whist sparks came from a third.

After that! I had to swap out every bulb for 12v; stop/tail, indies, which demanded swapping out the flasher unit too, plus the warning lamps, as well as the head-lamp.....

I actually LED's the lot, bar the head-lamp, which I swapped for HID.... The HID only draws 35W so actually kept the power drain about the same as 6v tungsten, but chucked out much more light than even high-watt Halogen....

These little consequential mods' seriously started to ramp the costs, and complexity.....

The HID headlamp, was BRILLIANT... but..... begged a completely new headlamp reflector'lens, to be able to actually fit the HID bulb....

If it's any help, OTMH, ISTR that a Vespa lens unit took the H4 bulb and fit the Yamaha 4.5" lamp-bowl... but I had to hack a ruddy great hole in the back to get the bigger HID bulb unit in it, and find space outside the bowl for all the wiring connections.... it was not an 'easy' job.

For 'better' light, 'just' a brand-new, non mottled etched or corroded reflector/lens, with a decent deffraction molding would probably have done almost as much to get what little light out the stock 6v bulb somewhere 'useful' and certainly as much as a simple bulb-upgrade... and even better if I hadn't limited myself to such a pitifully small lamp-bowl, and used a more conventional Lucas 7"! But still....

All told, I think that the job cost be best part of £300 in 'bits'. Lots and lots of piffling little ones, like bullet connectors, component LED's, WIRES! As well as 12v devices. And took me the best part of a winter... mostly applying savoln to solder burns, I think!

BUT... it WORKED!.......... just.

Re-Regulated electric lit the HID, and kept it alight. All the LED lamps worked, and were brighter than stock. It showed a lot of potential. Without the engine charging the poultry battery, I think that it managed to just about keep the HID lit for about 15minutes. With the engine running, at 'idle' multi-meter did show it was charging.... how much charge was going in remains in question, and 'in use' how long the lamps may have stayed lit, with other devices taking charge remains in question... I expected I would have to have given the battery a regular top-up charge to give it a chance, or keep it on an optimizer, as even standard systems on light-weights often suffer flattery-issues from running with DTRL etc, but I never got to find out... unfortunately the thing was nicked three days before Moment-Of-Truth....

HOWEVER... conclusion IS, and answer to original question is... "Yes" it IS possible... with enough engine-uity, perseverance and MONEY... Whether it's all "worth it?"... that's a very different question, we cannot answer! Though it's "Probably NOT!"

Having messed with so many potential lighting 'upgrades' over the years; I have to say that the biggest bang for your buck is to KISS it... Keep-It-Simple-&-STANDARD!

Properly fettled and in good order, a typical 6v sytem is no great shakes, but it can be sooooo much worse..... and frequently IS, especially if some-one has wapped in higher wattage bulbs that the genny cant supply the juice for. Old corroded wires, switch contacts then take thier toll robing large chunks of what power may be available, then an old flaking/corroded reflector, and or yellowed/etched lens, or oft as bad, a cheap-and-nasty after-market item, more of whatever light may escape.

And, as aluded to, biggest limitation with an OE set-up is the headlamp bowl, where a small lens will choke whatever light you get, before you start.

Then, chucking money and imagination at the problem, can as easily take you down a route to find more problems than you had to start with, where the money can quickly get daft, and any improvement you mat actually see be pretty small for it all... IF it works, and works reliably.... which it may, but only if you are very lucky and or put in a lot of time/money.....

There's no "Quick-Easy-Cheap" answer to this one..... even if you have a genny that will chuck out enough volts at low enough revs, you stand a change of not having to majorly re-engineer engine cases to take another stator, to start with.

In the list of considered mods? I'd say you had enough bad ideas on your plate to be getting on with!!! And back to top..... add the pain of a hard-tail, to that of a shitting-frog riding position, and the numb-bumb of a wooden plank seat..... Err... YEAH! I doubt very much that 'in use' I would have the pain-threshold to be paying more attention to stuff looming out the dark at me, to be all THAT worried how well 'lit' it might be!!!!!!

But it's your arse kimo-sabi!

Pays your money and takes your chances!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 39 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1