Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hey Stooodent! tuition fees/loans blah blah

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

I didn't really mean to that depth. More in the day to day accounts sense. .

It still applies. The magic money that is created causes inflation and devalues the purchasing power of all of the money already in circulation. Few people notice it packet sizes change or inferior ingredients are used.

Remember when bricks of cheese were 500g then 450g then 400g then 350? Or when you could buy 10 Freddos for £1 while now you can only buy 3?

Official inflation says 3.1% Yet...

Lamb +15%

Beef + 12%

Butter + 36%

Milk +8%

Poultry +27%

Source: https://www.pwc.co.uk/industries/retail-consumer/insights/price-inflation-in-the-food-and-drink-industry.html

Loui5D wrote:
In my opinion, at the end of the day a degree is just a piece of paper with words scribbled on it.

It does indeed, the thing is if you want to work elsewhere it may come in handy. Consider the points system so many people are in favour of. If you don't have the points you don't have the points.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:55 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
It looks more like an expensive white elephant of a left over Thatcher era social engineering project designed to expand the right leaning middle class.

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? Laughing

The trigger for charity-bagging your Che Guevara t-shirts is having kids and a mortgage.

Leaving university with no prospects, £50K of debt, and believing in procreation through immigration (or a desperate turkey baster when you're 45) is far more likely to result in an extended childhood and years more of voting for "free" stuff robbed from adults.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Lets face it. Science ultimately is only beneficial to the minority rich who will be able to buy a ticket on the galactic star cruiser that science will make possible....

Shocked Brick Wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:11 - 20 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

<hes-trollin-us.png> Shhh!

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:33 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut? Laughing

The trigger for charity-bagging your Che Guevara t-shirts is having kids and a mortgage.

Leaving university with no prospects, £50K of debt, and believing in procreation through immigration (or a desperate turkey baster when you're 45) is far more likely to result in an extended childhood and years more of voting for "free" stuff robbed from adults.

Exactly my point. Thatchers little social engineering project has backfired massively. And the entitled little dahlings of the muddleing classes are now wanting more teats to hang off. Their even harder to please than your olden days "right lads everybody out" mob. They don't even have the decency to have a good old fashioned strike. The little bourgeois s#ites do something worse.... They go off and vote for someone else!

Added to that the number of "adults" actually paying taxes is dwindling, squeezed from each end by turns of raising the threshhold for lower status workers and expanding the loop-holes for the higher status money grubbers. It wouldn't surprise me if one day their will just be one man in the whole of Britain paying tax. Probably you Roger. You have my humble sympathies.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
<hes-trollin-us.png> Shhh!

No. Professor Brian Cox is the one Trolling you.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:50 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if one day their will just be one man in the whole of Britain paying tax.

Well, I'm sure it will be a man. Amirite, guys? You know what I'm saying.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
1 In my opinion, at the end of the day a degree is just a piece of paper with words scribbled on it. it means you can pass a test, not that you actually understand the subject.

2 having a load of knowledge is useless if you are not able to apply it.

3 Then again i am biased, i saw the shitshow with Uni's coming a while back which is why i went into an apprenticeship in IT.

1. No. Passing a test will not get you a degree. You literally have to have an understanding of the subject.

2. True.

3. Have you seen how many red spellcheck wiggles come up in that sentence? I'm surprised you had the front to click "Submit". Then again, I went to university so it's probably not fair that I can spell and construct legible sentences.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Loui5D wrote:
Then again i am biased, i saw the shitshow with Uni's coming a while back which is why i went into an apprenticeship in IT.

Have you seen how many red spellcheck wiggles come up in that sentence? I'm surprised you had the front to click "Submit". Then again, I went to university so it's probably not fair that I can spell and construct legible sentences.

One with Chrome for 'shitshow' but the self-aware BCF AI (also known as Rogerborg) disapproves...

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net//images/info.gif Please consider checking your spelling, punctuation and capitalisation

I don't think my dyslexic ass has been given that message before Confused

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
Loui5D wrote:
1 In my opinion, at the end of the day a degree is just a piece of paper with words scribbled on it. it means you can pass a test, not that you actually understand the subject.

2 having a load of knowledge is useless if you are not able to apply it.

3 Then again i am biased, i saw the shitshow with Uni's coming a while back which is why i went into an apprenticeship in IT.

1. No. Passing a test will not get you a degree. You literally have to have an understanding of the subject.

2. True.

3. Have you seen how many red spellcheck wiggles come up in that sentence? I'm surprised you had the front to click "Submit". Then again, I went to university so it's probably not fair that I can spell and construct legible sentences.

Oohhh hit a nerve? (rhetorical narrative style. So put your grammar nazi flag away).

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:

2. True.

Oohhh hit a nerve?

I kinda doubt it given he works in an exciting industry most people would give their left bollock to be a part of Smile

It's interesting the two perspectives on point 1. At school level definitely you're spoon fed everything, and you actually become good at (passing) tests rather than becoming all that knowledgeable in a particular subject.

At college/uni level it seems to be a lot more about what you know, although college was still a bit like school. I attended shit institutions but it kinda felt like if you went there expecting you know... tuition you were wasting your time, a lot of lecturers wouldn't make the grade at school level, so independent learning is a lot more important.

Also at college we got told "you'll learn that at uni" a lot, then at uni was told "you should have learnt that at college" Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 21 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I kinda doubt it given he works in an exciting industry most people would give their left bollock to be a part of Smile

It's interesting the two perspectives on point 1. At school level definitely you're spoon fed everything, and you actually become good at (passing) tests rather than becoming all that knowledgeable in a particular subject.

At college/uni level it seems to be a lot more about what you know, although college was still a bit like school. I attended shit institutions but it kinda felt like if you went there expecting you know... tuition you were wasting your time, a lot of lecturers wouldn't make the grade at school level, so independent learning is a lot more important.

Also at college we got told "you'll learn that at uni" a lot, then at uni was told "you should have learnt that at college" Rolling Eyes Laughing

I didn't start the thread to take a crack at graduates. Im sure there's plenty of perfectly legitimate courses at undergraduate and postgraduate level and consequently legitimate graduates of such. The financial version of a french farce that seems to fund our further education sector though is something that needs more scrutiny. I actually have a lot of sympathy for the genuinely bright and brilliant who should have free and easy access to the educational establishments they need. What I don't have time for is the plunging of huge amounts of the country's wealth into propping up what amounts to a failed vanity project. Money that could have gone into our primary and secondary education system which seems broken to the point its a miricle anyone can get enough qualifications to go to a University.

I think we need more quality and less quantity in our university system. More accessibility but not at the cost of standards.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:
I went to university so it's probably not fair that I can spell and construct legible sentences.

University can't teach intelligence or common sense though can it?

Good God, no.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:39 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Good grief. Can you imagine finding yourself sat next to MPD72 in an undergraduate philosophy class. Neutral
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:56 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

asta1 wrote:

Why would anyone even consider that as a career unless they were already financially well off and the money didn't matter anyway? Seems to me science generally is drifting back to the old 'Gentleman of Science' model of the 1800s where only the rich can really afford to do it.

Yup.

Lad I know spent all his uni time with a chip on his shoulder because he didn't get into Oxbridge.

When he didn't get a 1st for his final degree classification, he attempted to get his parents to sue the uni.

He then applied to a PhD program at Cambridge and got it. He didn't even need a masters. He went straight from a 2:1 physics degree from an only-just-in-the-Russell-Group-uni, to a PhD program at Cambridge.

How is that possible? Well the position only had two applicants, one of whom went silent, leaving him the only person to fill the role, oh and did I also mention it's self-funded which his parents are covering for the duration?

He happened to be in China a couple of weeks ago for a winter jolly, so I met up with him. He joked that his entire project has been a disaster and every time he meets his adviser he just sits there without a clue what they're talking about. He's going to apply to start a new project from scratch soon, because hey if you're a demonstrable failure it's not at all a problem, not when you're a paid up member of the guilded elite.

And at the end of this Donald Trump style string of personal failures propped up by parental cash, he'll walk out with an Oxbridge physics doctorate and the world will be his oyster.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 07:19 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
he'll walk out with an Oxbridge physics doctorate and the world will be his oyster.

Who told him that's going to happen?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
he'll walk out with an Oxbridge physics doctorate and the world will be his oyster.

Who told him that's going to happen?

True he could be given the boot, and I bloody well hope he does.

He's clung on quite well already though. Probably something to do with his presence being a net financial gain for the department.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:27 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more meaning the part about the world will be his oyster when he finishes his degree at Cambridge.

It will give him an advantage over many of the other people in the queue at the Job Centre but if he's as crappy as you say he is then no one will actually want to employ him. Laughing

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
I was more meaning the part about the world will be his oyster when he finishes his degree at Cambridge.

It will give him an advantage over many of the other people in the queue at the Job Centre but if he's as crappy as you say he is then no one will actually want to employ him. Laughing

Yeah, if he wants to become an academic. No chance. Any and all funding bodies will see no return (publications) on his topics of research.

If he goes into any practical industry, they'll find him out to be a slacker, unless he wants to go into management or other crap where his qualification will just be some words on a piece of paper.

I didn't go into STEM for hookers, cocaine and rock star money. I just enjoy it. I managed to find a research topic that I was interested in, and was accepted to further study. Now I make plastic. While that might not sound exciting, I get to work with machines that are 4 storeys tall, spewing out millions of metres per year of formulations that I've developed. If you get into the right stuff in STEM you can earn decent money. If you perceive making medicine is the only path, you'll be going down the path with many many other people, willing to start at the bottom, both professionally and financially.

The Royal Society of Chemistry do a pay survey every couple of years, easy to get hold of so people can see what the pay conditions are like. But also you can use this to see what can give you better prospects if you're super bothered about the dollar.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Fair point. I suspect there will still be a fair few new doors of opportunity opened for him though..

For a start, he'll be welcome in many, many places over on this side of the world, specifically because he has a Top100 world ranked university certificate (and is a white native English speaking shitlord male).

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:49 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Arts students are funding STEM courses so they reckon, because resourcing a Chemistry degree costs more than a History of Arts course, for example. They ignore the fact that STEM will contribute more to the nation's economy. Probably simply unaware.

Because the entertainment industry which keeps all the Utulitechnochratodrones happy doesn't make any money at all.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Fair point. I suspect there will still be a fair few new doors of opportunity opened for him though..

For a start, he'll be welcome in many, many places over on this side of the world, specifically because he has a Top100 world ranked university certificate (and is a white native English speaking shitlord male).

He also "self funded", so thats OK. If mummy and daddy want to subsidise his little middle class ego thats fine. But there's the rub, I've come to the conclusion that the current university culture in Britain is a middle class version of the old leftist practice of subsidised heavy industry. Instead of maintaining a mass working class in jobs and an identity the modern degree system supports the middle class in providing them with an identity, not through work but through flattering the Ego. So when you encounter that chinless wonder at work who's about as reliable as a British Leyland car then they are actually the modern equivalent of a British Leyland car. So there you go, what goes around comes around.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:33 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Good grief. Can you imagine finding yourself sat next to MPD72 in an undergraduate philosophy class. Neutral

He went to night school to learn to use a computer. I doubt he'd get in an undergraduate classroom as a cleaner.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3