Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Norton Jubilee 250

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Norton Jubilee 250 Reply with quote

my granddad has a couple of Norton jubilee 250's in the shed that have been there for the best part of the last 30 years. literally in boxes. I'm thinking of buying the pair off him and building a chop out of one of them, get a frame made etc because once allowed to breathe these bikes sound real nice and a lightweight 250 classic twin rigid is right up my alley for my town riding. anyway, before I go ahead and pop the question my main concerns are finding parts and information to rebuild the motor, does anyone have advice on these bikes/ rebuilding old British twins, specific tools i'll have to buy etc

and I know I'm probably pissing off a bunch of purists that want it restored but fuck that!

any advice would be appreciated.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Dr. DaveJPS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Norton Jubilee 250 Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
my granddad has a couple of Norton jubilee 250's in the shed that have been there for the best part of the last 30 years. literally in boxes. I'm thinking of buying the pair off him and building a chop out of one of them, get a frame made etc because once allowed to breathe these bikes sound real nice and a lightweight 250 classic twin rigid is right up my alley for my town riding. anyway, before I go ahead and pop the question my main concerns are finding parts and information to rebuild the motor, does anyone have advice on these bikes/ rebuilding old British twins, specific tools i'll have to buy etc

and I know I'm probably pissing off a bunch of purists that want it restored but fuck that!

Get well acquainted with NorVil (and their monkey metal parts) and RGM.

Though personally I'm not sure why you'd bother with a shiteweight the "big" twins (500-650) dommies are only in the region of 30-45 bhp

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:56 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Norton Jubilee 250 Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
get a frame made etc

So, you're going to put a creaky, leaky ~16hp engine into a brand new motorcycle, MSVA register it as a new build with a 2018 plate, and deal with running it on unleaded fuel?

For once, I agree with Bodytard.

ART-ADS wrote:

Sell them to someone who won't butcher them, then use the money to buy something like a Mash 400 and ruin that.

Comes now the "I Thot this was a forum for Real Bikers, not wannabes".

Clearing runway one for flight Flounce One-Niner.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:58 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your lightweight classic will weigh a ton and sound like a real nice bag of nails and break down.

There are easier ways to achieve that.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Norton Jubilee 250 Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
A load of nonsense .

Hmmm? Sock or flouncer?

I think we need to set the cat on him Thinking

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Norton Jubilee 250 Reply with quote

ART-ADS wrote:
once allowed to breathe

What the Hell does that mean! Do you think those Dominator silencers are restrictive on a 250?

Anyway, in answer to your sort of question, the Norton Owners Club is probably your source of some spares.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jubilees were greeted with a 'sniff' when announced, generally regarded as gutless, leaky, and mechanically raucous. Some people love 'em, both of 'em, but overall viewed with suspicion.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:00 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
Fantasist.

Tell us again about your r6

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:53 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please to not turn these classics into choppers... its like the worst candidate for that kinda build.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 22 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they 'classics' or merely 'old bikes' ?.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:18 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much the replies I expect haha. the fact of the matter is it wouldn't be economical to build it back to stock, plus I fucking hate restorations. it comes down to I got a couple of old British twins in my gandad's shed that haven't seen daylight in decades. I'm into bobbers and chops and it seems like an economical and good solution to get a bike on the road. just an old 250.

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 01:21 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Norton Jubilee 250 Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
ART-ADS wrote:
once allowed to breathe

What the Hell does that mean! Do you think those Dominator silencers are restrictive on a 250?

Anyway, in answer to your sort of question, the Norton Owners Club is probably your source of some spares.

nah not performance (haha) restrictive but sound wise, there's a video of one of these turned into a race bike and it sounds amazing so that's what I'm on about.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:04 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bikes have you got at the moment?

What experience have you got with building bobbers and chops?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 12:06 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'little' Norton Learner-Bike..... with 16bhp?
It just ISN'T a place to start ANYTHING but a classic resto.. all of which are money pits.
You would get as much power from a Chinese Pit-Bike engine, or old Jap commuter like a Honda CB Two-Fifty twin, Suzuki GN250 single, just as easily, more reliably, just as cheaply, A-N-D be assured of ready spares!

Its oyrish-mans-directions... "Well I wudna be wantin to sturt frum 'ere, noiy!"

If I wanted to build a hipster brat-chop special 'for fun', and on the cheap, I would likely pick something like a cheap as chips ER5 commuter twin of the last 20 years.... whole, and in it's entirety; I could lock the back-suspension with solid struts to make it a hard tail, and keep the original VIN tag on the head-stock, to avoid answering awkward questions come the SVA test to try register the thing! It would be far more likely to 'work'; I'd have far less hassle tracking down obscure Witworth bolts!!!

Crickey! They sell an entire 'hard-tail' first-build chopper 'kit' to turn into a road-going motor-bike from a 'dead' XJ600!!!!!!!

https://scontent.flhr3-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1234722_649811568377097_1213390986_n.jpg?oh=00030c6360de08b722ec089a3bef564c&oe=5B14AC85

There you go, spotted at a show a couple of years back. ISTR either BSH or 100% did a photo-feature build on one, getting it to-road, excluding tax and test, for under £1000, including the cost of the Divvy donor bike, and the frame-kit!!!!

THAT is where the smart money would have to go, for cost and convenience.... NOT on an unloved 1960's learner bike engine, 'just' because the dead metal came free!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:54 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of special tools, there will be some but mostly it will be just getting your head round the multiplicity of oddball thread sizes (which you'll need spanners for). There will be Whitworths, Cycle threasd BSFs, BSPT and maybe the odd BA on the electrics. So don't just throw everything in a bucket when you take them off. Remember what came off where.

Most special tools can be home fabricated or worked around. Like you can pretty much cut a pushrod comb out of cardboard.

You may want to consider getting hardened valve seats fitted. Some advocate it, some advocate just keeping an eye on the tappets. Probably not much difference between pre-emptively doing it or fitting them after valve recession has happened.

It'll be a ball ache, will cost a massive amount of money and will run badly and piss oil all over the place. The first two are because it's nearly 60 years old, the second two because that's how it was designed.

I'm not saying don't do it, just be aware of how much of a PITA it will be.

You could also just buy a 350 Enfield bullet which will be just as shonkily built but has a multiplicity of available spares (including a bolt-on hardtail), customising parts and knowledge and can be made to be reliable. A much easier proposition and a "known qualtity"

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:09 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

you can pretty much cut a pushrod comb out of cardboard.

No, make no attempt to use a pushrod comb on a Norton 250!

Quote:
You may want to consider getting hardened valve seats fitted.

Rubbish.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:06 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
The 'little' Norton Learner-Bike..... with 16bhp?

That couldn't keep up with a 9 BHP James.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:18 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:

Fair enough, I was just using it as an example of special tools which can be bodged for old Brits. I don't know if that specific bike uses one.

Quote:
Rubbish.

They factory fitted with hardened seats? Genuinely interested, I didn't think many brit bikes of that vintage were. In fairness, I'm in the "leave things alone" camp anyway, I have mates running pre-war bikes on unleaded without any modification.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:58 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Triton Thrasher wrote:

Fair enough, I was just using it as an example of special tools which can be bodged for old Brits. I don't know if that specific bike uses one.

Quote:
Rubbish.

They factory fitted with hardened seats? Genuinely interested, I didn't think many brit bikes of that vintage were. In fairness, I'm in the "leave things alone" camp anyway, I have mates running pre-war bikes on unleaded without any modification.

I was being gratuitously rude and nasty, but the last thing he should do right now is spend £100s on that sort of work, when there are dozens of reasons he will never ride, let alone erode a valve seat on his dream Norton 250 "bobber."

They do have seat inserts in the alloy heads as standard. I don't know the grade of steel used.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are restoring a Vincent 'twin' or a Brough Superior and having got them for virtually nothing in the first place, a really good job will cost far more than the value afterwards. The only bloke who makes anything is the one who buys it off you coz he's paying market value and getting the benefit of your money squandering for relative peanuts. I know, I've fallen into the trap myself !.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: jubilee uchafeeeeee Reply with quote

No not really.......

Since you are young time is on your side.

I am sure your granddad would give you these bikes for the joy of seeing them run again.

Maybe choppering one would be good, I bet it will be unique.

The other, just get mechanicaly running, again it would be a head turner as there will not be a lot of them about.

Older bikes are MOT and tax exempt, but must be roadworthy.

They did not have a good reputation in the day, but it was the same for other bikes as well, even some Japanese and master race ones !

Some special tools may well be needed along with strange threads and spanners etc., but hopefully all do able.

A good learning curve and enjoyable !? :karma:

Make your granddad smile and get em running/rideable. :D

ART-ADS
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, what a joyful read of the replies. couple of points

- I have little experience building chops, I'm in the middle of a project currently but also expect to do a second project before tackling the Norton

- on the leaky 16bhp engine.... yes it is, but I'm a firm believer that motorcycles are meant to be ridden rather than kept as a garage queen, so id rather I build the leaky 16bhp Norton into something id want to ride rather that someone restoring it (keep in mind its still going to be a leaky 16bhp bike) and kept in a garage for another 30 years until it becomes a barn find for someone else to restore.

and to all those sayin don't ruin a classic, being honest the stock form it looks clunky and dull yet the motor I find very unique in its design which is why it'd make a good bob,

old 250s aren't uncommon for chops either...

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only checking in to see pics of cool ArtAds profiling on the strip, on the burbling Jubilowrider.

Bit disappointed to just read more dreams. It's been nearly a fortnight, for Chris'sake!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 23 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3