Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike delivered broken by dealership, any advice? Am gutted!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:38 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Bike delivered broken by dealership, any advice? Am gutted! Reply with quote

Any advice or help would be great. I’m totally fucking gutted…saved for two years for my dream bike… (Excuse the lengthy post)

29/01/18 – I purchase a Ducati 999 ’04 from KD Motorcycles, Lancashire. Paid in full via BACs and paid an extra £120 for delivery to Canterbury, Kent.

01/02/18 – Bike is delivered and has a flat battery. Driver rings main office who tell him that an optimate is included (which it was). The OS fairing infill panel is missing along with some of the paperwork. I ring KD Motorcycles who tell me its flat because “the driver left the alarm on in the van overnight” but luckily they give away free optimates with all new batteries so that’s why one was sent down. Paper work and infill panel will be posted down to me.

02/02/18 – Battery was charged for 24hours, I take the bike for a 3mile spin. The temp gauge reaches 108c and the fans come on. Its -2c outside. I check coolant level and can’t see any. I ride straight home and ring KD Motorcycles who agree to collect and repair the bike. I’m offered the chance to take to the local Ducati shop in Ashford instead as it will cost KD Motorcycles £400 to collect and re-deliver.

03/02/18 – Bike is collected by Laguna Ducati Performance centre.

05/02/18 – Laguna discover the bike only has 0.9L of coolant in it (should be over 2L) and the battery is fubar.

06/02/18 – KD Motorcycles refuse to pay Laguna because “they didn’t offer a good enough trade rate”. Several phone calls later they’ve paid up. They’re extremely defensive, borderline rude on the phone. They flat out refuse to pay to have the bike re-delivered to me, “As collection and delivery are not covered in the warrenty”. This is despite them originally agreeing to redeliver from Lancashire.

07/02/18 – I pick up the bike and the battery fails at the first junction. I push the bike back to Laguna. They say chances are the original battery is fubar. I buy a new one out my own pocket.

Fast forward 10 days….I’ve ridden around 50miles on the bike. Its been a bit iffy starting but put that down to “Ducatiness”.

Went to start bike this morning and its dead again. Battery reading less than 12V. Laguna and Ducati club agree its most likely dead rectifier/alarm and/or shorting somewhere. I still have not received the missing paperwork or fairing infill (which apparently, they are only sending as a gesture of good will because the bike was not advertised with one).

Any advice on where I stand? Obviously I see this as KD Motorcycles problem but I strongly suspect they are going to kick up a fuss about this….

They did provide a “warranty” with the bike, however, having spoken to the warranty company, this is only up to £500 and does not include any delivery or collection. I have several emails between KD and Laguna. Laguna happy to provide documentation on work/faults etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:46 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give you the thread issues by GrumpyGuts... but I can't find it.

Reject the goods.
Letter before action.
Court.

If its not working and its expected to work... reject and bye.

You've had it looked at, they've lightly diagnosed the issue. You've offered them the chance to fix it I guess..

Warranty means pretty much jack shit vs the law Wink

Last edited by P. on 16:47 - 23 Feb 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kerr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either fix it yourself or return the bike, not fit for purpose etc.
They obviously included the optimate as they knew fine well there is an issue, i assume you haven't been using it.
Depends how much you like the bike tbh, are they hard to come by?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:48 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should contact trading standards for specific advice of what to put in your letter. Warranty notwithstanding (that's between them and the warranty company), they are a trader and so there is a requirement for their bikes to be roadworthy and of merchentable quality.

By allowing repairs, you may have stymied your chance to reject it outright in return for a full refund but if this is still a possability, it's the one I would be going for.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:48 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warranty is nothing to do with your statutory consumer rights.

You want to reject the bike and get a full refund. I believe you need to do this within 30 days of purchase.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:49 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerr wrote:
They obviously included the optimate as they knew fine well there is an issue, i assume you haven't been using it.

OP, Consumer Rights Act 2015, read that and reject ASAP, you've only got a few days until 30 days is up.

kerr, 999 is hard to find in a decent shape and low miles, I've been hunting for the right one for a while. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:49 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the swift replies guys!

I love the bike, and would prefer to keep it...i'm just concerned that, being a Ducati the bill to fix could be hefty! Ive ridden it maybe 50miles over the past week max.

@paddy - legally speaking then, this should be covered under the "sale of goods act" or similar right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:51 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
kerr wrote:

OP, Consumer Rights Act 2015, read that and reject ASAP, you've only got a few days until 30 days is up.

kerr, 999 is hard to find in a decent shape and low miles, I've been hunting for the right one for a while. Laughing

Thanks Paddy, googling around that now.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:53 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk away from both these idiots, they will just pass the buck, pointing to each other as being at fault . Bring it to me , or i will collect, i shall check it out , quantify what is needed , and correct on your instruction .
I'm just up the road in Sittingbourne

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:50 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tankie! Very Happy

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 2004 shitter, nothing special, one year newer than my cbr6. Rectifier and battery are a cheap, minor fault easily repaired. If the engine is good, consider next time you might get a major fault instead.

It also sounds like they made some efforts and paid some monies, eating into their massive profit. May not have been competently spent. I would also avoid laguna for that reason. (do not replace battery without checking the charging as a system, 5 min task with a meter..)

Warranty/rejection/court will be a lot of effort and wont get you a working bike. Noone has time for that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:55 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade in your 14 year old hack so that some other mug has to deal with this fvcking pieve of svit and get on with your life.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reject it as part of your statutory rights. I bought a car that had a faulty injector after a week. Rejected as not fit. Yours sounds even less assuring as being fit for purpose.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:50 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave buying an 04 and not expecting a boat load of issues .... either you're a skilled home mechanic who can fix whatever it throws up and love it for its foibles or you need a different bike.

I wouldn't want a Ducati without a Ducati warranty which means a new one.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd reject it as not fit for purpose too.

Its a fourteen-ish year old bike which you bought it from a dealer 300 miles away, its arrived lacking coolant and battery power. The dealer seems to be giving everyone the run-around, you and Laguna Ducati, and doesn't want to pay money back out. The bike still isn't working right and I can only ever see it being a problematic machine.

Get rid of it by rejecting it and buy one closer to home.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they've flogged you a bike with a fucked battery and no coolant, even if they "fix" that, what else is fucked and about to go? They've obviously done zero checks on the bike and just passed it on to the first mug through the door. Get your cash back, walk away.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did the litre of coolant go, and how long had it been ridden without (and by extention what damage was done)?

The answer to all of the above could be expensive, the whole point in buying from a dealer is to avoid that risk, why pay the dealer premium otherwise. Reject.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:02 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KD really seem to have gone to shit since they got bought out.

As Borg has said or will say.

Letter before action, official complaint etc.
If KD refuse to take your calls or won't respond to letters give me a shout, they're only 10 minutes away from me and I'll pop over.

EDIT - Might be worth getting in touch with the franchise:

https://www.motogb.co.uk/index.php

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:32 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone knows that buying from a dealer is more expensive than buying private, but people do it because they expect the dealer to help if the bike isnt fully working.

I personally buy from the same dealer all the time, and i hope that knowing this they will always look after me (that's the assumption anyway)

In your situation i would be handing the bike back, as already said... these problems could be the tip of the iceberg and if you go outside your 30 days your stuck with it

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Everyone knows that buying from a dealer is more expensive than buying private, but people do it because they expect the dealer to help if the bike isnt fully working.

I personally buy from the same dealer all the time, and i hope that knowing this they will always look after me (that's the assumption anyway)

You pay a premium for peace of mind, even though that doesn't seem to equate to anything in reality. I assume dealer bikes to be worse (than private) as they've been sat in a showroom, and never ridden far enough to expose potential issues.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:21 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume dealer bikes to be worse (than private) as they've been sat in a showroom, and never ridden far enough to expose potential issues

As with all second hand vehicles there is an element of gambling involved especially if its an older vehicle.

If the bike is only 3 years old and has a low mileage in a showroom, i would take that over something that has been thrashed all over the place lol

I am presuming the OP bought this online, which isnt a good idea either... always take the bike for a test ride.
He says its had trouble when riding, which he would have known about if he took it for a spin.

Bikes unlike cars all "feel" different, it might be in great condition and look great but if you feel uncomfy riding it, its no good it will just end up locked in a garage all year.

Always test ride.... if they refuse to let you, walk away.

to the OP,
Whats the latest?

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:05 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

reject!

iffy sprag and gear requiring upgrade about £500, same parts on 1098 and multistrada 1200

reg / rec isn't dear, but wiring loom on these suffers aging worse than others

more modern sealed battery would improve things also, but never a good idea to buy used ducati of that age from someone who can't fix it

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Quote:
I assume dealer bikes to be worse (than private) as they've been sat in a showroom, and never ridden far enough to expose potential issues

As with all second hand vehicles there is an element of gambling involved especially if its an older vehicle.

I agree, that's why personally I don't see the point of gambling with more money via a dealer. I know people who trade in vehicles they can't in good conscious sell privately, these shitters get tarted up and sold on, or sold as seen no warranty mate (never mind your statutory rights).

I'll only use dealers if/when I'm buying something new (unlikely) or when I don't have to worry about money anymore (even more unlikely Smile), so I can afford to overpay on purchases and lose out on trade-ins.

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:28 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I bought long-distance because I had been waiting months for one to appear locally, i read reviews, phoned previous customers and had a friend look over the bike so (foolishly?) I thought KD would look after me, seems not so much.

Re: the 30 days return, I assume this is from the day its delivered, and does this period cover the bike being sat in a workshop?

To answer some questions:
1) yes I'm aware its 12 years old and a ducati and likely to have leccy problems here and there.
2) no explanation on the coolant, was ridden max 3 miles, never over 50mph. Laguna said all seems ok no in that respect (levels not changed since refill etc.)
3) Laguna have been awesome, both in dealing with KD who were extremely difficult and checking the bike over fully; they said that its actually a solid bike bar this issue; they suspect problem lies in a dead rect/reg which i'll be testing tomorrow....

If tomorrow i can't source the fault back to alarm/reg/rect i think i may have to be looking to return by the sounds of things.

Squiffy_The_Wombat
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:30 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
KD really seem to have gone to shit since they got bought out.

As Borg has said or will say.

Letter before action, official complaint etc.
If KD refuse to take your calls or won't respond to letters give me a shout, they're only 10 minutes away from me and I'll pop over.

EDIT - Might be worth getting in touch with the franchise:

https://www.motogb.co.uk/index.php

Interesting idea, KD have taken calls so far, they've just been massively rude and unhelpful! Monday will tell i guess!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2