Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does anybody ski/snowboard?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Does anybody ski/snowboard? Reply with quote

There is an indoor ski slope nearby and also a dry ski slope.

I fully expect to fall over and get hurt.

What do I need to know?

Thanks
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:38 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're snowboarding, wear padded shorts.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you skateboard? It helped me when I tried it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:46 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For skiing, make sure you boots fit and are done up tightly.

Also

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nobody skis or snowboards.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
No, nobody skis or snowboards.

I hear it isn't great for the knees... mine are bad enough already.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anybody ski/snowboard? Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

What do I need to know?

Thanks

You don't need to know anything, you won't be able go on the slope till you've had a number of lessons.

They will teach you what you need in order to stop you hurting yourself or anyone else.

They have kit hire too.

snowsurfer
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:07 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an avid snowboarder (and have tried skiing) here are few tips:

- Watch a few videos on youtube and decide if you want to be a boarder or skier, they are very different! Think skateboarding vs roller blades/skates, although skateboarding is different from snowboarding.

- You need to persevere. After your first lesson or 2 you will be shit! It takes time to gain the confidence to carry speed without shitting yourself, that only comes with practice unless you are a proper mentalist!

- It isn't cheap. If you enjoy it indoor or dry slopes become very old very fast. You will need to get your own gear, be prepared to drive to the highlands, can afford to go to the Alps/Pyrenees/Rockies etc.

- Dry slopes were invented by the devil himself. They are horrible things, if you're going to do it go to the snowdome.

- Learn to enjoy falling. It helps because you will. Lots! This comes back to the dryslope option, falling on dryslope hurts!

Other than that enjoy it. Once you've done some lessons and practice it becomes rather good! Particularly when you go to a proper hill.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:51 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skier here.
Learned on indoor snow in about four hours to do the basics, tried dry slopes and hated it. Took me about a week away and a few weekends at Aviemore etc. before I nailed it.
Learning to stop is main priority and it gets easier over time as you start to relax. Speed is your friend and making sure your boots fit is essential to better skiing.
Being a bit older I dont think I could turn to boarding now but it does looks far better but I think skiing is easier to master and faster IMO?
Off to Glencoe early tomorrow BTW Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do this, enjoy,

https://webm.land/media/SqMt.webm

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:36 - 23 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an idiotic hobby where you pay fantastical amounts of money for stupidly impractical equipment that takes you nowhere quickly in a dangerouse fashion.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ski, leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks in Austria.

Learn on an indoor slope with real-ish snow. It hurts less when you hit the deck.

Relax

Enjoy

Make sure your boots fit. It makes a world of difference to how you will progress in ability, how much you'll enjoy it and how long you'll be able to ski for.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a snowboarding instructor.

People who could skateboard beforehand would fall because they dig their edges in too much.

People who could surf beforehand would fall because they couldn't get the concept of "weight over your front foot".

People who couldn't do either, tended to not fuck up so much, or were at least consistent.

You won't fall over and get hurt on your first few lessons.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

snowsurfer
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:46 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave.... wrote:

Being a bit older I dont think I could turn to boarding now but it does looks far better but I think skiing is easier to master and faster IMO?

I disagree on this part. I think skiing is easier to get the basics (ie snowplow) but then more difficult to progress onto parallel and steeper runs. Snowboarding on the other hand is harder to get the basics, but when you do you will progress quickly as your confidence and experience builds. From my experience so far skiing is better for covering distance in a large resort, but snowboarding is more fun and more of an event! Especially if you go to the snowpark.

I have tried skiing and boarding on the same day at Glencoe (4 weeks ago) and i found that the easy runs were fun on skis (as a beginner) but horrifying when it got steeper as its much harder to side slip on skis than it is on a board (if it gets too steep for your confidence on a board you can just pass it on the same edge, not so easy on skis). I must admit I have a bias to snowboarding though.

I have to agree with AldridgePrior. Scotland is a victim of its weather but when it's good it fuckin good! The drag lifts suck but still well worth it.

Away to Andorra in 8 days and cant fecking wait!

Do it, you wont regret it!

snowsurfer
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:47 - 24 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
It's an idiotic hobby where you pay fantastical amounts of money for stupidly impractical equipment that takes you nowhere quickly in a dangerouse fashion.

Like motorbiking? Laughing

Particularly on and Enfield Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:07 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word.

Fucking Track Days.

Much cheaper.
Much faster.
Much more FUN.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:51 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Can you skateboard? It helped me when I tried it.

Didn't the wheels get stuck in the dry slope surface? Laughing

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:17 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:

Disagree. Ended up in hospital getting stitches on my second lesson. Laughing

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:54 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Does anybody ski/snowboard? Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

What do I need to know?

Thanks

Dry ski slopes are the creation of the devil. I went to Rossendale dry ski slope as a fairly competent snowboarder and I just couldn’t get along with it! Ended up having a bit of a tantrum and storming off Embarassed

I fell over a fair few times whilst learning. You’ll only catch your toe edge once as well; Once you’ve had an introduction to “the scorpion” it’s not something you’ll relish doing again!

Where proper layers. Thermal base layer, fleece mid layer, waterproof outer layer. If you’re cold you’ll feel miserable .

Finally, get abroad. It’s a fabulous feeling coming down a mountain as quickly as possible, carving through the turns with the fresh alpine air and the sun on your face. I’d highly recommend it!

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:12 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:

Disagree. Ended up in hospital getting stitches on my second lesson. Laughing

Then you’re probably retarded Laughing I taught for 3 years and had 1 K.O from a kid who wouldn’t listen, nothing else.
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some dry-slope skiing as a kid.

Cold, windy, damp, sliding slowly down the Great Orme, kneeling on an upturned scrubbing brush every time I fell over. Put me off for life.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my son's is just back from 8 days in Italy skiing with his school . This is his second year doing it and he gets about 40 hours tuition with professionals.

I live in Halifax and we have a dry ski slope, where I went about 16 times with school as a replacement for games lessons.

Halifax also boasts the UK's most southerly ski slope, https://a42240.wixsite.com/another-world-skiing , where I have only ski'd on once. But if you can't make Scotland and it's snowing in Halifax it's worth a visit. It's on the tops near the border to Denlome. It's very high up there.

I would recommend lessons if you can afford it, however I know these can be expensive, but cheaper if you can group a lot of people together.

To Ski at somewhere like Xscape, you need salopettes and a jacket. Ski's/boots/helmet are all included. We go to Xscape Castleford about once per month, it costs about £25 for 2 hours. (Cheaper if you become a member and certainly cheaper May - October).

Going abroad, I can't really say as I haven't been. The ski jacket and salopettes that my son uses at Xscape went to italy, but mid layers/base layers, visor, ski socks, sun tan cream/lip moisturiser were all needed to be purchased.

Oh and my son says, my motorbike neck warmer isn't suitbable for skiing and he has had to have a polar buff. (I say rollox).

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I have family members and close friends that love it, they go each year to some stupid place for a holiday, like Austria and spend their days going nowhere special over and over for a week. Then they spend their nights in a log cabin or in a bar getting pissed to help them forget how much this ludicrous past-time is costing them.

They often tell me to try it, as they just know I will love it. To which I tell them I like to be hot when on holiday, only for them to tell me it's hot on the slopes. Like I'm some kind of moron. I understand how wearing those suits would raise your body temp of course, but it is in no way a holiday in the sun.

Fk em, the morons. Skiing should be used as a mode of transport when all else fails. That's it.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think snowboarding is the better option, it's a lot more fun, a lot more comfortable and gives you the quickest access to more remote terrain (although that last part won't interest you with indoor/dry slope).

If you decide to try snowboarding then avoid the dry ski slope like the plague. It's bloody horrible. People liken snowboarding to skateboarding, which it is in some ways (carving mostly), however knowing how to skateboard does not stop you from stacking it 100's of times in the first few days.

Buy wrist guards and impact shorts if you want a nicer time. The first 3 days of snowboarding tends to be the most difficult, after this it should click and it becomes completely addictive. Learning can be fun but you will be shattered quite quickly - energy intensive.

Skiing tends to be easier to pick up and get moving down a slope.

(Personal Experience: 7 full ski seasons France, Austria, US, Canada plus many weeks holiday)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2