Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car repair outside of insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Car repair outside of insurance Reply with quote

Hi all,

My in law's neighbour reversed into my car, left a dent on the car, small bit of paint removed and scuffed one of my wheels. It's not bad, I'd hazard maybe £100-150 of work but I'm not a bodywork guy so who knows.

He came round to say it happened and asked my wife to not go through insurance. It happened yesterday, I was around to see it today. he offered me £20. I refused, he offered £40 then complained when I said it is going to be more but I don't know how much. He said he wouldn't pay more than £40. Grumpy old fuck pissed me off so I asked for his insurance details but he didn't know them. I know his name, address, reg and have photos of both cars.

I can't be assed declaring a tiny non fault claim for 5 years on multiple insurance policies, I do want the car fixed and I think he is going to be a pita to deal with whatever happens.

My question is, is there any negative consequence to me if I get a quote to fix it next weekend, then ask the old fuck if he is willing to pay it and if not, then I go through his insurance? I.e. two weeks maybe between incident and notification. I'm not keen to notify my insurance now as at that point may as well put in a claim.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated,

Donny

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems at all. If you don't get am immediate response of 'yes' give the details to the insurance company.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.askmid.com

Check to see if he does have insurance.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

On a related note, anybody know a decent body shop in Southampton?

What do they do for paint damage on wheels?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:09 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's $CURRENT_YEAR, so I'd be tempted to take the 40 quid then rat him out to his insurer anyway.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:11 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your policy wording probably says any accidents blamed or not blamed.

The reason the ask is to load policies against perceived risk.

Scratch and Dent Idiot came out to me to do some rust spots ans a scuff on a car I had.

£500...

I told him to Eff Off.

Idiot..

Get a dent idiot to come out and quote you happy and then offer it to the neighbour.

If he wont cough then dip him in.

Maybe he is simply unaware how much this shit costs.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he only wanted to cough up £20, then a maximum of £40 I reckon you are pissing in the wind with him. Its gonna cost a good chunk more to get that sorted including the wheel. I reckon you are going to have to go via the insurance if you want it repaired at no cost to yourself.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I have been stunned by quotes to have a small dent pulled put of wifeys Megane Cabriolet.

There again, I suppose no one gets out of bed for less than £100 nowadays do they?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I admit I have been stunned by quotes to have a small dent pulled put of wifeys Megane Cabriolet.

There again, I suppose no one gets out of bed for less than £100 nowadays do they?

More chance of getting someone INTO one for £100 Smile

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:11 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar happen to me last year. Needed bumper/bonnet resprayed and a bracket replaced. Cost in excess of £1k, went through insurance of course.

No recommendations for bodyshops around Southampton. But mine went through AJ Lawrence in Portsmouth (my insurance companies choice, so it may also be yours), they were shit in so so many ways.

I believe most insurance companies let you choose a garage if you have a preference however. Something to remember for next time.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:22 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My *cough* reversing miscalculation in the Swift, rear quarter panel damage repair, new rear bumper and a rear light
cluster plus associated paintwork. Total - 2.3k plus whatever the other car cost to fix. Car park scuff on front wing a
few months prior, same car- £300 bodyshop bill, paint, filler and polishing.
When I had a previously owned Audi fixed at my own expense, after a much much faster miscalculation involving just me,
a roundabout, a 5 inch kerb and no other vehicle finished up costing me about 6 grand altogether to put right.
Paid mates rates and cash for a lot of that too. Shocked

Tl;dr Fixing cars is expensive.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:12 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it fixed, send him the bill. If he doesn't pay it, take him to court. Why should you contact his insurance? That's his job.

Thing is, I can't see a way this will work without informing your own insurance unless he volunteers to pay for it from his own pocket or you just suck it up and pay for it yourself.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:09 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bodyshops that insurances go through just work off massive markups.. When i fucked my bumper up i went to a place and they quoted around £1500 for work that would just be normally a £300 tops. smthin to do with "everyting needs to go back to oem spec and in perfect condition"

apprehensively saving up to get the rusted rear arches sorted on my scoob.. looking £400 a side and thats without respray >.<

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:25 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

I believe most insurance companies let you choose a garage if you have a preference however. Something to remember for next time.

Be aware to check your policy 1st. Some increase the excess. Mine is a extra £200 if you do not use on of their approved garages. Shocked

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a decent job of those done for under £275 I want the details of the bodyshop.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:39 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Paris2 wrote:

Be aware to check your policy 1st. Some increase the excess. Mine is a extra £200 if you do not use on of their approved garages. Shocked

All mine (AXA) do is not help with anything under warranty if the paint repair is a spectacular failure. If you use their approved body shop they will intervene if any remedial work needs doing. There's no loading of excess or similar, as far as I can see.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
bodyshops that insurances go through just work off massive markups.. When i fucked my bumper up i went to a place and they quoted around £1500 for work that would just be normally a £300 tops. smthin to do with "everyting needs to go back to oem spec and in perfect condition"

This. When I broke a windscreen years ago I rang around for quotes and all came in around £500 until one ask if this was an insurance job or my own pocket. When I said the latter they quoted (and eventually charged) £150.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call around a few independent places and send them a pic if you can. It seems a bit hit or miss but I was swiped on a roundabout and had a brand new front wing supplied and sprayed + 1/4 bumper resprayed all in for about £250 (this was about 4-5 yeas ago). You wouldn't know and even I cant see where it meets on the bumper. The company is very popular and taken over 2-3 more units in the last few years.

It seems people must charge whatever they feel like if this guy has a working business model doing such extensive work at such a low price Rolling Eyes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
If he only wanted to cough up £20, then a maximum of £40 I reckon you are pissing in the wind with him. Its gonna cost a good chunk more to get that sorted including the wheel. I reckon you are going to have to go via the insurance if you want it repaired at no cost to yourself.

This^^^^^^^^

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Get it fixed, send him the bill. If he doesn't pay it, take him to court. Why should you contact his insurance? That's his job.

Thing is, I can't see a way this will work without informing your own insurance unless he volunteers to pay for it from his own pocket or you just suck it up and pay for it yourself.

True.

The great thing about insurance is that the company will only act if you authorise them to act for you if you advise them that you were involved in an accident.
You are advised not to discuss or accept blame with the other party but pass all details to your insurers or their agents.

Then THEY will decide who is to blame. Or whateva.

The person who 'you or anyone else' believe is to blame can also decide to not bother his shirt reporting the accident.
If he doesn't report it then his insurer cannot act (for your benefit)

Then it gets nasty.

Sometimes the PoPo can help. You REALLY need witnesses. And they dry up like rain when asked to give evidence for you sometimes.

If no satisfaction it then goes to court is someone is prepared to front up the legal costs... Several thousand pounds...

Body-shops are much much cheap than a suit wearing a sheep's wool wig.

But it is much more complex than that. Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:42 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

If no satisfaction it then goes to court is someone is prepared to front up the legal costs... Several thousand pounds...

Body-shops are much much cheap than a suit wearing a sheep's wool wig.

But it is much more complex than that. Smile

Small claims court isn't that expensive and legal representatives aren't usually encouraged.

A summons on the doorstep tends to galvanise them into action/calling their insurance.

Be about £105 if you do it online.

mas101
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:41 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a small bump where someone hit my parked car.

I went direct to the other guys insurance. They were very keen to sort it out themselves, went to repairer of my choice and I got a loan car while it was being repaired.

My insurer said that as it was a no fault accident and a complete recovery was made from the other party then there was no impact on my own insurance. As it happens the insurance was due just after the repair was carried out and I didnt tell them until the renewal came through so I know that it didnt make any difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want it fixed, I would probably go through the insurance, because the guy doesn't sound like the sort of person to pay for the damage.

If I was the old guy, I would gladly pay £100 to £150 to not go through insurance.

Pisses me off people like him moaning about damage they did, and the cost, when they don't realise it'll cost them way more in insurance.

I knocked a wing mirror off a shitty fiesta and paid £100 for it to not go through insurance, and was happy to sort it. I also realise that would be about the right price at a garage, even though there's brand new cheap ebay scrappy specials I could have fitted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1