Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBR125 project

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: CBR125 project Reply with quote

Ok so I went and did it again and bought another bike that needs work Laughing The plan is to get this running properly in a few weeks so I can use it to ride to work once I do my CBT next month. I had an 05 model years ago and just couldn't help myself.
I bought the bike without seeing it in person and had it shipped here. It's a bit worse than I expected. The tank has a few large dents and some fiberglass stuck over some of it. it's also had every fairing badly painted and some are cracked, but it's repairable.
It's also missing an end can, but the two pieces of exhaust I have dont fit together very well so I may just buy a full system, or weld them together.

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/DSC_0182_1.jpg

The main issue is that it wont start. It turns over for a few seconds, starts for a second and then cuts out. I was told it would start, but had trouble idling. To solve this I thought the valve timing could be off so I set about checking that, only to find out some fool has been there before me and stripped one of the allen bolts. After a while of fussy about in the small space I hammered a larger allen key into it and got it off, now I just need to find a replacement.
Set about to checking the spacing and it's far too small. Then I went to adjust it and realised I have no idea where my spanners are Laughing Found them in my brothers car afterwards, but ran out of time to do it.

The bike went to an MOT last month and failed on the rear tyre (which is totally bald), worn rear brakes, worn sprocket and fluctuation in front brake.

https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/DSC_0183_1.jpg
The previous owner liked bikelife and putting stickers everywhere Laughing

It's also missing a few parts such as the grabrail and fairing bracket which holds everything on (clocks are cable tied in). Overall I think it could end up being quite decent.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing your bike pics makes me feels much better about the worn out abused wreck of a trail bike I have in bits in my shed. Laughing

I guess at least CBR parts are fairly cheap and plentiful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: CBR125 project Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
The previous owner liked bikelife and putting stickers everywhere Laughing

Yeah think that would have put me off Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:13 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inb4 "payed for stolen bike, owner wasn't the owner, wut do?"

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:39 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ukbikelife stickers?

This is going to be good. Pass the popcorn

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:24 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

'ukbikelife' 'drift bitch'

Looks like its going to be a total mess... enjoy Very Happy Thumbs Up

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

I hope not Confused It actually comes with a different key for the ignition too, which he must have forgot to mention...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:05 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came with documents?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
NJD wrote:

I hope not Confused It actually comes with a different key for the ignition too, which he must have forgot to mention...

Autotrader will basically tell you if it's registered stolen etc.. When you enter the reg' it'll say contact us yada yada if it's registered stolen or a Cat A/B bike.

This was posted on here before: https://isitnicked.com No idea how legit it is.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:13 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

#UKBIKELIFE Sticker + Bald Rear Tyre = Abused Bike

I hope you bought it cheap....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so today I decided to check out why the exhaust is held on my one stud and found this.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/DSC_0186.jpg
The stud is still stuck in there and someone has attacked it with all sorts of things. not too sure how to go about sorting this one.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Echo..

Ste wrote:
It came with documents?

..because you're missing the point entirely. Although..

Ayrton wrote:
I bought the bike without seeing it in person and had it shipped here

..makes for giggles galore.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Ok so today I decided to check

...the bikes history?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:23 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Ok so today I decided to check out why the exhaust is held on my one stud and found this.
The stud is still stuck in there and someone has attacked it with all sorts of things. not too sure how to go about sorting this one.

Genuinely. Cheapest and easiest?

£40-ish second hand head off ebay and £13 head gasket.

Harder and more expensive. Extract the broken bit, aluminium weld the hole and re-drill it. It MIGHT take a solid thread insert but there's a lot of damage there.

Hard to see how it can be done with the head on the bike in any case. If you're taking the head off to sort it, you're actually doing more work to fix it than simply changing the head out. There would normally be a caveat about not knowing the condition of the new head but in this case i think the point is moot.

Remember if it turns out to belong to someone else, you don't get any money back for fixing it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:13 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it turns out to belong to someone else. Wink

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:33 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ayrton wrote:

Genuinely. Cheapest and easiest?

£40-ish second hand head off ebay and £13 head gasket.

Harder and more expensive. Extract the broken bit, aluminium weld the hole and re-drill it. It MIGHT take a solid thread insert but there's a lot of damage there.

Hard to see how it can be done with the head on the bike in any case. If you're taking the head off to sort it, you're actually doing more work to fix it than simply changing the head out. There would normally be a caveat about not knowing the condition of the new head but in this case i think the point is moot.

Remember if it turns out to belong to someone else, you don't get any money back for fixing it.

Thanks. I took the head off to get a better look and it's pretty bad, so a new head it is.
I did learn that I need to invest in a decent set of tools after I snapped both ends of my spanner trying to undo a slightly stuck bolt Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:42 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so new cylinder head turned up and it looks damaged. The flat part (whatever it's called) near the exhaust valve looks like its been crushed slightly or something. I dont know much about these things, but I guess I will need another.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/DSC_0204.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:45 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Ok so new cylinder head turned up and it looks damaged. The flat part (whatever it's called) near the exhaust valve looks like its been crushed slightly or something. I dont know much about these things, but I guess I will need another.
https://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu117/elobire/DSC_0204.jpg

Aye. Odd damage. Possibly peened over by a bent exhaust valve? (did that come with it?).

Not necessarily an insurmountable problem. I'd think you'd be able to carefully clear the damaged alloy away from the valve seat with a sharp tool or a burr then lap in a straight valve (maybe even pinch the one off your old head). The valve seat itself is hardened steel.

My concern would be if the valve guide is damaged too so I'd have a good look at that. Also check the gasket face is flat against a sheet of plate glass before going much further. It shouldn't rock about or have any gaps round it.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, thats good news. Exhaust valve didn't come with it, so something like that was my guess too. Will have a closer look and see if there is any more damage.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bad news, had a closer look and the valve guide is buggered. Looks like I will be ordering another after I send this back.
I also think i've been scammed after buying the fairing bracket on ebay. 20 days later and still no sign of it and seller isn't replying... This bike is bad luck Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:25 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
This bike is definitely stolen Laughing

FTFY

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some progress this weekend. New cylinder head arrived and was put in but the bike still refused to start, although it did seem to keep trying. Ran the battery dead twice trying to get it started and it eventually started with a little throttle, but dies as soon as I let it idle. FI warning light started to flash to show an issue with the Idle Air Control Valve.
Checked the IACV specs with my multi meter and it seems to check out. Fucked around with the torx security screws to get it off and i cant notice anything wrong inside, but it does look a little crusty. Will clean it up and test it out tomorrow.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I decided to test the continuity of the IACV connector to ground like the manual says and sure enough there was a little continuity. Manual said that means the CDI is broken so I ordered a 2011 one thinking it looked the same (and is a lot cheaper on ebay).
Good news is the IACV now spins when the bike is turned on, but the bad news it wont start. Talked to a guy I just bought the correct CDI off and he says the timing is different for the new model bikes.
Putting the old CDI back on the bike starts right up now that the air valve is screwed all the way in after refitting. Warning light still flashes, but at least it's a step forward I suppose Laughing Will see what happens when the correct CDI arrives.
NJD This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 352 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2