Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap eBay battery tenders

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:08 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Cheap eBay battery tenders Reply with quote

Hi all,

With my growing vehicular collection, more and more I'm finding dead batteries because the cars/bikes don't get driven/ridden enough.

I've got a couple of Optimates which do a good job for the vehicles they're on, but they're quite expensive when you need 8 of them!

I've been thinking about getting one of these to try out:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222667723252

But I'm a little concerned it'll just catch fire or damage the battery. Does anybody have any person experience?

Thanks!

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotate the Optimates, in my experience they don't need to be left on one battery 24/7.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:22 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy on a FB group I go on bought one of these weirdoes, and wired it up to an optimate and all of his bikes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5v-9v-12v-24v-DC-4-channel-multifunction-delay-relay-LED-CLOCK-time-timer-Switch/181971316767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

He set it to 3hr cycle intervals (switches to the next relay after 3hrs)
and bob's your uncle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:25 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 'biketek' one off Amazon for 17 quid and has done the business for a few years now

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As MattEMulsion says, it's not necessary to leave the Optimate on one battery all the time. I've got three bikes and every couple of weeks give them all individually a 24 hour session.................works for me.

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
Rotate the Optimates, in my experience they don't need to be left on one battery 24/7.

True, however I keep the majority of these vehicles in 2 different places, one of which is 20 mins away. I don't much fancy going over there more than necessary.

MarJay wrote:
Guy on a FB group I go on bought one of these weirdoes, and wired it up to an optimate and all of his bikes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5v-9v-12v-24v-DC-4-channel-multifunction-delay-relay-LED-CLOCK-time-timer-Switch/181971316767?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

He set it to 3hr cycle intervals (switches to the next relay after 3hrs)
and bob's your uncle.

That's a good shout! I'll order a couple of those then! Cheers Smile.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from having 5 vehicles at once (4 bikes and a car), going down to 1 bike and 1 car was a great choice.

Might be worth considering if you find you're not using them/some are stored a distance away.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:31 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not a huge arse ache, charge the batteries, remove them and put there somewhere out of the cold?

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

from HK, Hong Kong .. nope.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lidl ones are just the job at £14 a pop,
Made for the job, 3 Yr warranty, just make up a small loom(with fuse) for all vehicles with a socket, and add a plug to the charger, so you can quick swap between vehicles,
I can maintain 2 bikes with 1, I made up a small extension with the same plug/socket ends on,

plug & sockets,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-Set-2-Pin-Automotive-Plug-Pair-for-Motorbike-Cars-Flame-Retardant-CK/192338376782?epid=930662581&hash=item2cc842b84e:g:qDsAAOSwY~1Z6Hsr

cable,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-CORE-RED-AND-BLACK-12V-12-VOLT-CABLE-AMP-CAR-AUTO-BOAT-AUDIO-SPEAKER-WIRE-UK/202215539430?hash=item2f14fc42e6:m:mspwaVa1IsBwRWeG3h_yWqQ

Fuse holder,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Automotive-30A-12V-24V-Inline-ATC-Standard-Blade-Fuse-Holder-12-AWG/270924230575?epid=1788316970&hash=item3f1457afaf:g:U~oAAOSw6n5Xvw9n
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 48 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1