Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Securing bike without ground anchor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:38 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Securing bike without ground anchor Reply with quote

So, i need to secure my bike but as im in a rented property, i cant be concreting or drilling a proper ground anchor into the floor. it will be kept on a driveway at the front of the property as theres no access to the garden. the driveway has gravel and pavings tones and grass to one side.

I have a Pragmasis Protector 16mm and oxford monster disc lock to stop it being moved but at the moment it could still be picked up and put in a van or whatever. I thought of using a ground anchor that just screws into grass/dirt but that doesnt seem that secure.

Anybody have any suggestions of how to keep it safe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large plant pot/planter + bag of cement/concrete + ground anchor = job done

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were the property owner, I'd be less bothered by an unobtrusive ground anchor than a great big pot full of concrete that I could never get rid of.

If you fit a recessed flippy-up ground anchor you can just kick some gravel over it when you leave, get your deposit back, then get on with your life. What are they going to do if/when they find it? Sue you for adding facilities to their property?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If I were the property owner, I'd be less bothered by an unobtrusive ground anchor than a great big pot full of concrete that I could never get rid of.

If you fit a recessed flippy-up ground anchor you can just kick some gravel over it when you leave, get your deposit back, then get on with your life. What are they going to do if/when they find it? Sue you for adding facilities to their property?

Fair enough, might try that. Will have a look for "stealthy" ground anchors and see what there is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Y shaped anchor for my driveway, landlord was ok with it because it can be filled in and you wouldn't know it was in there.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If I were the property owner, I'd be less bothered by an unobtrusive ground anchor than a great big pot full of concrete

I wouldn't, because it would be the tenant's responsibility to shift it at the end of the tenancy, and if he didn't I'd be within my rights to deduct the cost of doing so from the tenant's deposit (probably hiring a handyman with a kango?)

Rogerborg wrote:
If you fit a recessed flippy-up ground anchor you can just kick some gravel over it when you leave, get your deposit back, then get on with your life. What are they going to do if/when they find it?

They would't need to sue; they are entitled to have the property reinstated as it was at the outset, less fair wear and tear. Plenty of tenants will leave stuff behind which they consider 'adds value', but that doesn't cut it. Landlord would therefore be entitled simply to deduct the cost of anchor removal and making good; the kicker is that he would have no obligation to actually spend that money on doing the work, so he'd have every incentive to make a deposit deduction.

So by far the best solution would be to negotiate with the landlord and get him to agree (in writing); ie convince him that the anchor will be neat and unobtrusive, won't be in the way of any future non-biker tenants, and that you are indeed 'adding value' to his property.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ask, make it clear that it will be unobtrusive and like ffb says, get it in writing

https://i.imgur.com/SmbMrFa.jpg

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:28 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Y-Anchor and dug a hole in the mud right next to the paving slabs. Put in post postcrete and put the Y-Anchor in. Within minutes, it was set and the postcrete grafted itself to the existing concrete from the paving slabs.
I own my property, so I'm not bothered in the long run, but you could just fill in the holes with mud and nobody would be any the wiser.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do those y anchors fill up with water?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:05 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Do those y anchors fill up with water?

I believe the idea is that you concrete around it, but leave the bottom of the Y clear to drain into a soil/gravel sump.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may or may not have a Y anchor concreted in my shed/garage thing. I may or may not have never used it because nobody wants to nick my stuff anyway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 53 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1