Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Kitten from the East.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Kitten from the East. Reply with quote

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5439181/Flights-grounded-Beast-East-bites.html

Well I live in an area which attracts a lot of snow (Halifax) this year I have had to walk to work 4 or 5 times because of it. But today all I can say is rollox. Absolute rollox. Feck all.

A slight dusting of snow (tbf too much for the motorcycle), at best I would say 2 - 3cm. We've had snow warnings/alerts/amber warnings, snowmagedon etc. WTF where is this snow.

I personally have seen snow over 6 feet high on drifts on the tops, with f.ck all mention in the southern biased media.

Or is it because there is 2 cm of snow in Kent and the world is ending!

I say Bo....cks.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've only had a light dusting here in Carlisle thus far, and most of that is now melting off. Mind you, if it comes from the east, we're a bit protected by the Pennines here. But from what I saw of the forecast, the worst of it forecast for here isn't due till Friday. Also, they were saying that because it's so bastid feckin freezing, what does fall will accumulate. Although again, we're a bit better off here in the north west corner, slightly milder. You could happily get out on your bike here at the moment, as long as you wrapped up warm. Might be different on the Lake District passes though - don't know, haven't been watching the condition reports for there lately.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaannd..........nothing.

Every few weeks we're told that the weather is going to be so bad that society will break down and we're probably going to die. This applies to winter and summer. We're either going to suffer Arctic or Saharan temperatures either of which will kill the old, infirm, very young or the unprepared.

Yet, and yet, the forecast bears no resemblance whatsoever to the majority of peoples' experience. Here in Powys today, a few flakes, that's all. Oh yes, and it's a bit chilly.......in February. Confused Thinking

The forecasters who supposedly nowadays have the most cutting edge technology to erm, forecast, the weather, overstate the approaching weather conditions.

They're losing all credibility at a time when they have no excuse for not getting at least the short-term forecast dead right. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:48 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4m-lNi61Rk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Kitten from the East. Reply with quote

kawakid wrote:
Or is it because there is 2 cm of snow in Kent and the world is ending!

I'm in Kent and its been snowing almost non stop since I woke up at 6am, up to three/four inches so far. Most of the problem is due to poor driving conditions and HGV's blocking the main routes and then people crashing into each other as they slow down to rubberneck. Both the M20 and M2 were jammed up this morning as was the town that I work in.

Snow day for me, hurrah!

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

North York Moors are starting to get blizzardy with wind getting up, about 6" on the ground today and it's -2C after midday.
Has been much worse in the past, this is peak time of year for serious snow though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a summers' day here in Buckinghamshire. Going by what the Met Office was saying I was expecting to see Neanderthals chasing Woolly Mammoth across the lawn by now.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/KzmLzUo.jpg?1

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It stopped bodyform from getting to work this morning, therefore it must be the start of the apocalypse

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:40 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had intermittent snow in Rotherham / Doncaster for the last couple of days, but it isn't settling. Work are rattled though, and asking us to take our laptops home in case we have to work from home.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:26 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On off snow all day in Leicester, only a centimeter settling if that. Bitterly cold though, 0 degrees around 1.30pm.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is, how do they know that no two snowflakes are ever alike? Has it been proven beyond doubt? I mean, there are billions of the things.
Such weighty thoughts are on my mind... Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:55 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The canal was frozen round my boat today and the ducks were looking very confused as to why they weren't getting their feet wet.

Then along came an ice breaker in the shape of a swan and the ducks fell into the water when it broke up. Laughing

As just about everywhere else though, a lovely cold day with just a bit of snow.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What I want to know is, how do they know that no two snowflakes are ever alike? Has it been proven beyond doubt? I mean, there are billions of the things.

This post is cool. Geddit? Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

This post is cool. Geddit? Thumbs Up

No, not really Laughing

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been plenty colder.

Do like the temperature changes we get in this country... Smile possibly why I have 4 different types of jacket and 3 different types of socks and 3 different hats...nevermind the other stuff. Underwear are the only constant.

-10 to +30. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Do like the temperature changes we get in this country...

TBH the seasonal temperature variations in the UK are nothing compared with most places at this latitude (thank you Gulf Stream). Years ago I lived in Germany for a spell; I arrived to thick snow on the ground in January, and it never thawed at all till spring. And summer was consistently blazing hot. I came across a neat website the other day while planning a holiday, which lets you compare the average temp at your current location with somewhere else, at any time of year - for example compare the average seasonal temperature variation in London with Toronto - much colder in winter and warmer in summer.

Of course this is the very simple reason why the UK falls apart at the slightest hint of snow; because in comparison with other countries where protracted snow and cold weather every year is a given, it's so rare here that it's just not cost-effective to have all the necessary infrastructure in place to cope with it.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:01 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
It's been plenty colder.

Do like the temperature changes we get in this country... Smile possibly why I have 4 different types of jacket and 3 different types of socks and 3 different hats...nevermind the other stuff. Underwear are the only constant.

-10 to +30. Cool

Some people do change their underwear.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^I refuse to wear knickers.

again.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame poor old Michael Fish. It's now seen as less risky to forecast disaster and then tell us we had a near miss when it fails to materialise. Be prepared an' all that. "Extreme weather" is a lazy journalistic staple too.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:38 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

handy website
has updated weather and radar maps every 10 mins

currently in Glasgow its snowing and have 2 - 3 inch covering

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:11 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ventusky.com Thumbs Up

I actually enjoy the weather. -13°C during the day, did some sideways driving in my pimp mobile. Finally the winter has come.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
www.ventusky.com Thumbs Up

I actually enjoy the weather. -13°C during the day, did some sideways driving in my pimp mobile. Finally the winter has come.

It's your fault then Laughing
I noticed most of CZ was minus double digits.
The trouble is it's quite a shock for most of the UK to get snow that doesn't melt more or less the same day, let alone temperatures several degrees below freezing all day.
It' not unheard of though, but the last serious freeze like this was 1987 or possibly 1991, so a lot of young adults won't have experienced it.
Last time it froze for several days there was a big problem with gas boiler condensation pipes icing up, because normally it's OK to just stick it through a wall.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP I live just up the road from you and I agree. Trouble is, for me to get into Halifax its either Burnley Road (roadworks & slush), Cragg Road and down through Ripponden etc, or over the tops. Either way the '5 mph' brigade make it such a pain I am happy to work from home today....

We are truly shite in this country when faced with a little snow. Another poster mentioned winters in Germany - I lived there as a kid and can remember our first house. We didn't know we had a back garden for months, the snow was so thick. Didn't stop the Hun getting to work though, as they all carried snow chains.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3