Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
www.ventusky.com Thumbs Up

I actually enjoy the weather. -13°C during the day, did some sideways driving in my pimp mobile. Finally the winter has come.

It's your fault then Laughing
I noticed most of CZ was minus double digits.
The trouble is it's quite a shock for most of the UK to get snow that doesn't melt more or less the same day, let alone temperatures several degrees below freezing all day.
It' not unheard of though, but the last serious freeze like this was 1987 or possibly 1991, so a lot of young adults won't have experienced it.
Last time it froze for several days there was a big problem with gas boiler condensation pipes icing up, because normally it's OK to just stick it through a wall.

It's the Siberian cold air.

As I type this, it's -11°C outside. The real feel temperature at the moment is -25°C (ambient temperature + wind + moisture). I normally walk in my shorts all year long (+jacket when it gets colder), but yesterday I had to wear long pants, as it was a bit too chilly for my likings. At the same time, a friend of mine, who is more ''weather-resistant'' than I am still wears shorts and a t-shirt in this weather. Someone even took his picture when he walked through the city and sent it to the local news site. Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:33 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...saying all that, it is coming down a bit now. The buses have stopped and traffic is slowing to a standstill on the main road. Not a day to be out and about even in a 4x4 because even they won't be getting past the cars.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is it takes ages for these fat weather resistant people to feel the cold and when they finally do get cold it takes ages for them to thaw. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Thing is it takes ages for these fat weather resistant people to feel the cold and when they finally do get cold it takes ages for them to thaw. Laughing

Not fat, I'm 88Kg/195cm. He's medium built as well. Thumbs Up

Here's the ''news article'' about my mate (pretty much says it's cold and some lunatic doesn't care): https://moravskoslezsky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/mladik-v-ostrave-vyrazil-ven-v-kratasech-a-jak-snasite-mrazive-dny-vy-20180226.html

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Howling Terror wrote:

Not fat, I'm 88Kg/195cm. He's medium built as well. Thumbs Up

Here's the ''news article'' about my mate (pretty much says it's cold and some lunatic doesn't care): https://moravskoslezsky.denik.cz/zpravy_region/mladik-v-ostrave-vyrazil-ven-v-kratasech-a-jak-snasite-mrazive-dny-vy-20180226.html
I couldn't follow that, I think it's written in Welsh or something.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:39 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I died three times trying to get to work by car before bailing out and creeping home. It's gone full REDTARD ALERT up here now.

But, you know, I heard someone in London felt a snowflake on their tongue SJW cakeboy thread so that's the big issue.

Dave....
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:18 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to drive to work (Glasgow) this morning.
Only problem was no-one else did. So left vehicle at work to take train home (all cancelled) then got Subway and then bus (no messing about there).
Tomorrow looks cancelled though as there is foot deep snowdrifts at my door so cant imagine anyone else will make it again.
Currently a whiteout outside with snow falling and blowing about.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have got in. The issue was I could see cars (nice Merc, mate) already getting stuck on the way out. With three buses behind him... Whistle

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
...saying all that, it is coming down a bit now. The buses have stopped and traffic is slowing to a standstill on the main road. Not a day to be out and about even in a 4x4 because even they won't be getting past the cars.

Very true, today there was snow in Calderdale, but unlike my colleagues who spent 2 or 3 hours driving 4 miles and others working from home. I walked in and will walk home.

It was a bit of a pain and an over reaction the schools shutting, IMO. If I can walk and i'm a fat old git, anyone can.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:24 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dripping unheated shed ...it's -4 here...Poor MV.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXIqmpvX4AAyRhv.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I died three times trying to get to work by car before bailing out and creeping home. It's gone full REDTARD ALERT up here now.

But, you know, I heard someone in London felt a snowflake on their tongue SJW cakeboy thread so that's the big issue.

Still snowing down here Folded arms but my spies in Glasgie do confirm it's worse.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawakid - call me a big girl's blouse, but I did all my driving about yesterday so I could work at home today...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was picture book lovely at the Marina today. I expect some idiot will put his foot on it to see if its thick enough to hold his weight soon enough. Rolling Eyes

https://s5.postimg.org/bp0gx24rr/Marina.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I were a lad (60s/70s) I genuinely can't ever remember school being closed due to snow. Sure occasionally someone might not make it in, but shut completely? Never. Or am I remembering it wrong?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It was picture book lovely at the Marina today. I expect some idiot will put his foot on it to see if its thick enough to hold his weight soon enough. Rolling Eyes

That does look lovely. Is the mooring included in the price? Thinking

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
When I were a lad (60s/70s) I genuinely can't ever remember school being closed due to snow. Sure occasionally someone might not make it in, but shut completely? Never. Or am I remembering it wrong?

I left school in 2007 and my school never closed. Every other school in the city might be closed, but not mine. Bastards.

Anyway, snow was fine today, most people had got home by the time I finished my 12 hour shift and I only had one near death experience where the snow piled up underneath my windscreen wipers on the motorway so I couldn’t see a thing. Can’t wait to do that again in the morning.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

You are, last week schools in Northern Ireland (plus elsewhere?) were out for a day. Pretty much every year you have some part of the country with schools out due to weather. In 2010 we had similar snowmageddon and schools in my local area were out for four days straight, I had to dig my car out of a snowdrift then couldn’t get out of the road.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

That does look lovely. Is the mooring included in the price? Thinking

God no, it costs £695 a quarter to moor my boat there. Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:07 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
it costs £695 a quarter to moor my boat there. Shocked

Thread hijack: if you were to feel that you were too... socially justified... to pay The Man's fees, what exactly would happen? To whom, enforced where, and to what schedule?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to pay pre quarterly. If you pay in the first 2 weeks after the due date you get a £25 admin charge. If it goes over 2 weeks they tell you to leave as they have a waiting list for berths.

If you don't then remove it within a week the marina mob come along and tow your boat out of the marina onto the canal and leave it there.

They have actually done this more than once.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:12 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meow

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/03/01/uk-weather-storm-emma-brings-snow-sub-zero-britain-latest-news/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:42 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mates dog, who we are sitting at the moment, loves this snow.

I haven't had a bills for 3 days Thumbs Up

Life is good!

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck all snow here in South Wales Rolling Eyes

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a little warmer yesterday so some snow melted, today though its colder and the snow that melted yesterday has now frozen. On the up side the snow is now crunchy, on the downside roads are horrific and its snowing again.

I've had to put the heating on for a bit as despite all of the layers, my toes are numb.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:07 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some enterprising junkie was standing outside Tesco today with a bin bag full of bread and offering them at £3 for half a loaf.

I'd have had the profiteer shot. There's a war on, somewhere.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3