Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car Insurance moan, declaring speed awareness course etc.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:52 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Car Insurance moan, declaring speed awareness course etc. Reply with quote

Car insurance's due for renewal next month. I checked at the end of last month and was quoted £680 (down from ~£1000) with my current insurer. I then got a renewal email a few days ago from my insurer quoting £940, checked comparison sites and they've stopped quoting me (everyone else is quoting £1200+).

So have they stopped throwing out results on a comparison site cos renewal time's approaching?

Second question, I went to get a quote direct and they wanted to know if I had been on a speed awareness course Confused I thought the whole point of a SA course was that it's an alternative to prosecution. Apparently they're loading policies: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/aug/21/admiral-car-insurance-speed-awareness-course

So what was the point of sitting through a boring 4 hour course then?

tl;dr why insurer trying to scam me Evil or Very Mad

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Car Insurance moan, declaring speed awareness course etc Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
To avoid points on your licence Rolling Eyes
Insurance is all about evaluating risk, hence they like to know if you've been done for something risky. Simples.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to know what an insurance company would do if they found out you'd been on an undeclared SAC.
Surely the whole SAC scam relies on the attendees avoiding points and the, inevitable, insurance premium hike.
AFAIK the SAC scammers claim not to release names to insurance companies. So how would an insurance company know who's been on an SAC, or not.
If an insurance company does know who's been on an SAC, then the only people opting for them would be those facing a totting ban, which means PC Bangham and his fellow scammers would be losing money hand over fist!
The whole scenario stinks, AFAIC!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:40 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
M.C wrote:
To avoid points on your licence Rolling Eyes
Insurance is all about evaluating risk, hence they like to know if you've been done for something risky. Simples.

Why do you avoid those points then? For me I did the course because I checked quotes and having to declare a speeding conviction raised premiums by a fair bit.

Suntan Sid wrote:
It would be interesting to know what an insurance company would do if they found out you'd been on an undeclared SAC.

That's the problem. Last year I bought through a comparison site and got a buy now linky (you couldn't review the policy). I assume 'no' was selected, so if I get a quote now and tell them actually I have been on a SAC, I assume they could ask for more money or cancel my current policy?

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

From GoCompare's website:
""When applying for car insurance, insurers ask if you have any motoring convictions or prosecutions. As neither of these apply to drivers who have attended a speed awareness course, the Financial Ombudsman has confirmed that drivers attending a course can honestly answer 'No' to this question."

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:24 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on the company. Admiral group specifically ask if you've been on a SAC, others ask only for convictions or fixed penalties. Answer the question you get asked, go to another company if you prefer their questions, and you are on safe ground
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thieving barstewards could ask you if you prefer red or blue, and then sting you for a 'wrong' answer.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
""When applying for car insurance, insurers ask if you have any motoring convictions or prosecutions. As neither of these apply to drivers who have attended a speed awareness course, the Financial Ombudsman has confirmed that drivers attending a course can honestly answer 'No' to this question."

Well Confused (which Admiral own Rolling Eyes) ask:
Any motoring convictions, driving licence endorsements or fixed penalty points within the last 5 years?

So no. When Admiral ask...

In the last 5 years, has the driver had any motoring offences, including fixed penalties, convictions, driver awareness courses or disqualifications, or any pending prosecutions?

Am I being too pedantic or are they mixing up their terms? I thought you had Speed Awareness for kitten killers, and Driver Improvement for when you SMIDSY a kitten killer.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:49 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

But more importantly, from the same website:
"However, if an insurer asks specifically about attendance of a speed awareness course, then drivers must provide this information on the application form or at any other time during the lifetime of the insurance policy. Failure to do so may invalidate the insurance."

Admiral are indeed well-known for asking the question, whereas many/most other insurers don't.

M.C wrote:
panrider_uk wrote:
When Admiral ask...
In the last 5 years, has the driver had any motoring offences, including fixed penalties, convictions, driver awareness courses or disqualifications, or any pending prosecutions?

Am I being too pedantic or are they mixing up their terms?

They are indeed mixing up their terms. They should have worded the sentence with "and/or" in there somewhere - classic error of legal drafting by amateurs introducing ambiguity by poor wording.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:24 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitten Kourses are independent, each police Farce keeps their own record of whether they've offered you one, it doesn't show on your driver record and there's no central database of which I'm aware, so the answer is no. No, you have not.

In the very, very unlikely event that your underwriter ever finds out, then it will only be by the Kitten Kourse disclosing your information which gives you a solid case for bawww, compo against them.

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:08 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kitten Kourses are independent, each police Farce keeps their own record of whether they've offered you one, it doesn't show on your driver record and there's no central database of which I'm aware, so the answer is no. No, you have not.

In the very, very unlikely event that your underwriter ever finds out, then it will only be by the Kitten Kourse disclosing your information which gives you a solid case for bawww, compo against them.

And just to add, when I did the course a few years back they told everyone in the room that even though a insurance company may ask, there is no record of you taking the course and your insurance company has no way of knowing/checking.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:42 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Kitten Kourses are independent, each police Farce keeps their own record of whether they've offered you one, it doesn't show on your driver record and there's no central database of which I'm aware

What, so if you're clobbered for speeding in 5 different police authorities in short order, you could end up being offered a course by each one?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:05 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
What, so if you're clobbered for speeding in 5 different police authorities in short order, you could end up being offered a course by each one?

I believe so. They all get separate contributions to the retirement fund, it's in none of their interests to collaborate.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral are the company that charge you more depending on your email address though, having a Hotmail address makes you much riskier.

They seem to make this stuff up as they go Rolling Eyes

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:33 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, If I was offered a kitten course rather than the ban, I suspect I'd still go for the ban. 8 weeks without vehicle is still much less hastle than 8 hours being bollocked.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:16 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Admiral are the company that charge you more depending on your email address though, having a Hotmail address makes you much riskier.

They seem to make this stuff up as they go Rolling Eyes

They seem to be the MCE of car insurance, unfortunately they're a lot cheaper (when they give out quotes). I tried to get one directly and after giving all my details got a oh noes you're already customer call us message Rolling Eyes

I'll get them to cancel the auto-renewal and see if that changes anything.

angryjonny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first four-figure renewal though last month since I had a 5-series in my mid twenties. Comparison of meerkats halved it.

I always assumed that the point of the speed awareness course was to avoid points and therefore keep you one offence further away from a totting up ban.

I'd declare it if asked because I'm like that. But tbh I thought that insurance companies tended to look past such courses and, even, the first three points, due to the number of people who have exhibited poor obs at least once in the past several years.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at Direct Line? I found them cheapest by a good margin and they don’t show up on search engines.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:13 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
8 weeks without vehicle is still much less hastle than 8 hours being bollocked.

You're joking, right? I'd pay a fine rather than attend speed awareness if that was an option, but otherwise it would be easier to make faux nods to The Man and admit to killing kittens while counting the hours to freedom.

I've always thought denying someone what modern society has made an imperative (driving) when alternatives are either absent or inadequate (I couldn't get to work and back on public transport without trebling a half hour commute and losing all flexible-working capability) is Draconian unless you pulled 70mph wheelies in a 30 past the orphanage.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:20 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

I believe so. They all get separate contributions to the retirement fund, it's in none of their interests to collaborate.

I think this used to be the case, but most forces have signed up to a National Scheme now.

At least that means you can take the course locally rather than go back to where the Kitten was killed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
Have you looked at Direct Line? I found them cheapest by a good margin and they don’t show up on search engines.

I agree. They beat my Admiral multicar (3 cars) by over £300. Admiral wanted £1000 up from £800 the year before.

I went back to Admiral and gave them a chance to match it just to save me the hassle of sending off everything but they wouldn't come close. All they would do is offer me free legal protection and free lost key protection. Fcuk that for £300. Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

I think this used to be the case, but most forces have signed up to a National Scheme now.

At least that means you can take the course locally rather than go back to where the Kitten was killed.

Run by who? any idea? And will they have a vested interest in keeping the insurance companies in the dark like the old ones did?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:34 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1, if this has changed and we're about to get ratted out, it would be good to know.

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Evil Hans wrote:

Run by who? any idea? And will they have a vested interest in keeping the insurance companies in the dark like the old ones did?

I got a red light offence rider intervention one that I did the offence in Nottingham, but did the course in Ealing.
The options were all around the country, and AA was the provider.

They also told me I could legitimately say I had not done a speed awareness course as it was a 'rider intervention' course.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the National Driver Offender Retraining Scheme website - most police forces (but not all apparently, as it's not compulsory) are signed up to the NDORS:

How will attendance on an NDORS course affect my insurance?

No individual police force has a power to interfere with or regulate the insurance industry, and all insurance providers and their underwriters are more or less free to charge premiums based on their own assessment of risk.

A frequently asked question from people being offered and attending courses is whether or not an NDORS course offer and attendance should be notified to their insurers. Legal advice is that attendance on an NDORS course is not a conviction, nor should it be treated as a conviction, unlike a fixed penalty.

NDORS Data is NOT shared with insurance companies and they have no access to it.

There appears to be an inconsistent approach by the industry to NDORS, with a minority of insurers adjusting premiums once notified and others displaying no interest whatsoever.

The Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012, came into force on 6 April 2013. This Act modifies the old common law rule that insurance policies are contracts “of the utmost good faith”, which obliged people to disclose information which might be relevant, even if it had not been requested. Under the Act, members of the public taking out insurance for mainly non business purposes, but which includes a private car policy with Class 1 business use, no longer need to try to guess what an insurer might want to know. Instead they only have to supply what is requested, either when taking out a Policy or when something changes during the life of a policy. So, unless the question regarding NDORS course attendance and completion is specifically asked at the time of making the proposal, or at any other time during the lifetime of the policy, there is no obligation whatsoever on a driver who has completed an NDORS course to disclose this to the insurers. However, as always, the detail is in the small print.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 50 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2