Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hornet 250 Swingarm Bearings

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Hornet 250 Swingarm Bearings Reply with quote

Hey lads, its a long shot but just wondering if anyone has ever swapped out the bearings on the 250 Hornet swingarm? Mines quite worn (can feel it getting squirly on banking and there's play when moving it axially) but neither Honda nor AllBalls has a kit listed for the set. My last resort is pulling it apart and getting a matching set from a bearing supplier but that means making my bike unusable for a couple of weeks which is an annoyance as it is my daily bike. If anybody knows the sizes of the bearings or anywhere that does a set it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks,
Mike

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import?
David Silver Spares list 1996-2001 Might be worth a look.
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-90062-90062-CB250FX-1999-F_22-CB+250+HORNET.html
Click on the part number and it suggests it's the same as the 600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:23 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Import?
David Silver Spares list 1996-2001 Might be worth a look.
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Checked DSS and it wasn't listed Sad

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 04:24 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I've never seen this site before, it's a god send! Gives the bearing sizes and part numbers, that's all I'll beed for the bearing shop down home. Your a life saver thank you, I'll let you know how it goes

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:21 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also cmsnl.com which has pictorial diagrams for Honda , Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki.
for example :

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb250f-hornet-1999-x-japan-mc31-115_model49453/partslist/?model_q=250+hornet

They are based in the Netherlands , so the postage costs a bit.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:06 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternately, measure the bearing race size, and order them from a bearing manufacturer. 99.99% of bearings will be of a typically available size.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:21 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like you need a 6002 ball bearing, hmk2230 and hmk1720 needle roller bearings.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:03 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't generally have to wait for bearings from a bearing factors. It's a part of the business that when a machine in a factory shits a bearing, they need it NOW, if not sooner because theri whole factory just stopped. Having the exact bearing in stock for immediate collection is what gets and keeps them business.

So, if I were doing such a job, I'd plan it so I took the old ones out the night before and go to the bearing factors first thing to pick up the new ones.

My local one has only been beaten once, admittedly it was a Honda motorcycle bearing but a really oddball one from the stub-axle on a single side swingarm.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Alternately, measure the bearing race size, and order them from a bearing manufacturer. 99.99% of bearings will be of a typically available size.

Unless it is a honda, where I need fancy oversized 6004D45 https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-961992/ for the front wheel where the standard and previous model would be 42mm. I assume they cocked up the wheel castings and had to bore it out bigger yet did not want an extra part of a sleeve in there BOM. Bearing factors do not carry this part, but it has became common in motorcycle parts shops because of this one model of Honda.

I think the rear wheel or sprocket carrier is also a non standard but cant remember what...

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:35 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

Unless it is a honda, where I need fancy oversized 6004D45 https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/hl-961992/ for the front wheel where the standard and previous model would be 42mm. I assume they cocked up the wheel castings and had to bore it out bigger yet did not want an extra part of a sleeve in there BOM. Bearing factors do not carry this part, but it has became common in motorcycle parts shops because of this one model of Honda.

I think the rear wheel or sprocket carrier is also a non standard but cant remember what...

Congratulations, you've highlighted the 0.01% I referred to. Is this the bearing that the OP is after, though?

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the bearing sizes are listed, clearly in the parts diagram. Just saying.

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:09 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:

They are indeed, only snag is I think the 6002 is a spurious part, isn't that code usually followed by 2 letters like RS or NS or something? The problem I have with dropping into the bearing place while doing the job is I can only work on the bike on weekends and the bearing shop in Limerick is closed then. I'll be popping in with the diagram to see if he can sort me, also need oil seals too so I'll put up a full list when I'm done for future reference. Thanks guys

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:22 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeKP61 wrote:
temeluchus wrote:

They are indeed, only snag is I think the 6002 is a spurious part, isn't that code usually followed by 2 letters like RS or NS or something? The problem I have with dropping into the bearing place while doing the job is I can only work on the bike on weekends and the bearing shop in Limerick is closed then. I'll be popping in with the diagram to see if he can sort me, also need oil seals too so I'll put up a full list when I'm done for future reference. Thanks guys

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=152882&vat_inc=true&gclid=CjwKCAiAlfnUBRBQEiwAWpPA6dAgc_nNUCy2kwGnSq2BmH_nNLw-pNLgEID9tvEvf8LqqZjiNTXKNRoCx2sQAvD_BwE

no, its a standard bearing. No code means its an open bearing. RS, Z etc refer to shielded bearings with metal shields or rubber seals, and other numbers are for speed ratings. A swingarm bearing is a very low load so doesn't require anything fancy.

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:34 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the cause of the squirly back end anyway, some job getting what was left of the outer race out. Bearings from the diagram above are perfect size, should be back together by next weekend. Shock mount bearing was also seized up so have that out too.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord - that's impressive. I would imagine that whatever sleeve that was running inside that bearing ids also 'fubarred'..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:38 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sleeve had a ball of corrosion on it but I polished it back to life, it's harder then the needles by the looks of it because the needles were ground down to a fine dust Razz

MikeKP61
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 06:55 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swingarm fixed, all bearing sizes were correct except the needle roller bearing on the chain side of the swingarm. Mine actually has 2 bearings of roughly 18mm length as opposed to 1 bearing of 30mm. Thanks again for the help lads.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:51 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeKP61 wrote:
Found the cause of the squirly back end anyway, some job getting what was left of the outer race out. Bearings from the diagram above are perfect size, should be back together by next weekend. Shock mount bearing was also seized up so have that out too.

Just take the old bearing to a bearing supplier as a sample.

Shocked
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 354 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1