Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Fazer 1000 shopping..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:05 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Yamaha Fazer 1000 shopping.. Reply with quote

In the market for a Fazer 1000.

Done a good amount of reading and just wondering if any owners here could pass judgement on what to look for in a used model. Main purpose for the bike is a all-rounder and big touring stint every year. Im doing a tour into europe (down to Croatia last year) each year currently on a sv650, looking to replace it with something with bigger legs and more comfort.

I was in the running of a FZ1/Fazer1000/old speed triple for the job. Managed to bag a ride on the old speed, like it somewhat, not sure. Fazers are a decent distance at dealers for a test so still waiting for time, ruled out Fz1 mainly from tank range so far.

Think I am just going to bag one at this point with around 3k budget, just wondering if there was anything to look out for or mods that should be done?

My main concern is not having to work the gears much, or just having a inaccessible top end without stupid speeds. If any owners could shed some light on the engine characteristics It would be much appreciated. Are they on with being pushed hard in the corners?

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 10:23 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Fazer1000 never gave me too many problems when i worked in a yam workshop, pretty solid all rounder.

If your looking for a lazier style ride then stay away from the FZ1, dont get me wrong its a great bike but its more of a rev head than its older brother. IT also has a limited sub frame weight capacity... from memory GIVI and Yamaha would only recommend their smallest top box for that bike. That being said the fazer1000 like alot of naked/small fairing bikes does have abit of a speed wobble if its really loaded up... but were talking lots of weight and lots of speed (well over legal limits Wink ).

I would be surprised if you can find one that hasnt had the carbs jetted so if the bikes on a stock exhaust be suspicious if its running lumpy because chances are its been jetted for something shouty which has then been removed for the sale.

The EXUP valves of that generation were dog shit and the fazers were no exception. check the cover bolts on the left hand side.. if they are in good condition then chances are they have been out regularly for exup greasing... if they are rusty and desintergrating the exup may have been ignore in which case it can be a big pain in the arse when it seizes... because 9 times out of 10 they seize shut leaving you with a fraction of your power.
Center stands had a habit of rusting and breaking too but thats more of an age thing.

Other than that it is pretty much the same as everything else at this age so brake disks, fork stantion and seals, brake discs, chain and sprockets could all need looking at.... depending on the last owner of course Very Happy .

Handling wise it wasnt horrible for the day but you gotta accept its no R1, even new it was abit of a "jack of all trades" parts bin bike and its pretty long and fairly heavy.
I always found them planted but slow to change direction especially when loaded up. The bike is bloody fast 150mph will come and go without bother and it has bags of torque so you certainly wont be wishing you had more get up and go when you open the taps. Get the suspension serviced (as most people forget about it) and set up and i doubt your have any issues.

Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Fazer 1000 shopping.. Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
ruled out Fz1 mainly from tank range so far.

Yup, fuel range became a pain in the neck for me. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:56 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the Honda Blackbird?

No reliability issues worth mentioning, big comfy missile designed for touring, will do 176 mph if you have a stretch of tarmac long enough.

They do have a weird linked braking system that can be hard to get used to (easily put back to normal with a conversion kit).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This model is the bike I have settled on as being ideal for me, and I'm now on my 5th one on the trot. It is an excellent all-rounder, I find. These days, I'm more interested in tours and long day trips, and I find it very comfortable for that, with effortless performance that makes it a relaxing ride when you need it to be. There are, of course, bikes better suited to that, with better fairings etc, but it does very well, and does other things better than many of those alternatives. I have spoken to several sports bike riders who say there have been owners of these in their group and they generally give a very good account of themselves, which has been my experience also, although obviously they're not at a the top of that league, and will get left by a competently handled sports bike. I have managed to stick with many who were not hanging around, even before I finished upgrading the suspension.

They are often owned by mature riders who look after them well, so less chance of buying a bad one than with many models.

craigT19 has covered it rather well. The EXUP is the most common problem, and if it is not regularly serviced, it will stick. However, having said that, I have found it doesn't lose that much performance when this happens, only really affecting the lower rev region, say up to about 3.5k rpm, when it will feel glitchy and lack a bit of go.
But it was discovered on my previous one, after I had covered many thousands of miles on it, that the previous owner had removed the EXUP valve altogether! I had problems with that low down glitchiness until I got it Ivanised, which almost completely cleared it. Still didn't know at this point that the valve wasn't there, and wasn't getting the EXUP fault code. But as craigT19 has said, the cover bolts are prone to snapping if not regularly looked to, and then it becomes a proper pain.

By now, there should be very few examples with the standard rear shock still fitted, and even if you bag a super low mileage example (they still come up for sale from time to time with less than 10k), that was the bike's other main weakness. Certainly they are completely shot by 15k miles, but never very good in the first instance. Popular replacements are one from a certain model of R6, which I have; Nitron; one from the BMW S1000RR (again, you probably need to check for the right one - the Fazer owner's forum has guys with all the knowledge you need for this). A good rear shock transforms the handling, allowing you to push the bike much harder. For those of us who really like the bike, front forks from the R1 are a fairly popular mod, and will transform the handling further. Again, plenty of knowledge on the owner's forum regarding this.

Ivanising is a carb mod. available in two stages, either of which make a very noticeable difference, not only giving more power, but making things much smoother, especially in that lower rev range. If you get one and get this done, go Full Monty with a decent can. The bike is still perfectly manageable in all conditions, and the power gain throughout the rev range is substantial. It does involve drilling the carbs (kit comes with the correct size drill), which puts some folk off, but there is a very good guide to doing it available online, and there is a chap on the Fazer forum who has done hundreds of them, worth contacting if you don't fancy it yourself, although he visits the UK from Spain a couple of times a year, and sadly is not doing that so regularly these days. He has done so many in fact, that there's probably quite a good chance you could pick one up with this mod already done, especially if you manage to source one from a member of the Fazer forum. I am not aware of any other jet kits that are even close to being as good as the Ivan's ones.

Removal of the AIS system gives better access to the spark plugs (you will need the plug socket that comes in the standard tool kit otherwise), and does not affect the running of the bike.

Quite a few owners complain about the seat being uncomfortable on longer trips, and get custom items made, but I haven't ever bothered, only getting a bit saddle sore on very long trips in hot weather.

There have been mentions of the cam chain tensioner spring being weak and prone to failure, with catastrophic results, and I know of one person on the owner's forum who has had this happen, so some people replace the stock item with a manual tensioner, but it is very rare, and my manual one is still in a drawer somewhere, unfitted. Not worth considering as a reason to avoid the model imo.

Early models were sometimes prone to the dreaded Yamaha 2nd gear nightmare, but aim for a bike of 2003 or later - I believe Yamaha did a fix for this from then. (This can be confirmed on the owner's forum, as I might not have the correct year there - certainly I don't think it was later than 2003 that this was done, but maybe worth checking). But I have owned earlier models and not had any gearbox issues.

One other thing. Check for leaking fork seals. It could mean a damaged damper rod. I spotted this when I bought no.4, and the dealer swapped the fork out from another in the showroom before I took it. I only mention this as I'm sure I've heard of this more than once.

So, 5 examples in, many hundreds of thousands of miles covered, and no problems beyond EXUP niggles (and those not the end of the world), apart from one collapsed rear wheel bearing.

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/FAZER1ATWASDALEHEAD_zps7603f0e9.jpeg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCF0030_zps509e979f.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/2013Incarnation_zpsd03ef52a.jpg

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/DSCN0548_zpsnjw8haim.jpg
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:15 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks for the knowledge guys!

Just what I wanted to hear really and points noted to look for. Yup I expected to want to spend some more on the suspension set up after purchase. The R1 front end you have on there looks so mean!

The only ones near me are high-milage but well looked after, so going to try and bag a test on one of them once the snow clears and get a feel for it. Then look around further for a low mile example as I plan to put a lot on it.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:44 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be of use to you:

https://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,20273.0.html

Confirms much of what has already been said, with additional information and useful links.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I do like that with the Kenny Roberts paint job. Would be even better with a matching belly pan Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I do like that with the Kenny Roberts paint job. Would be even better with a matching belly pan Thumbs Up

Yeah, I do miss that one Polarbear. It certainly stood out from the crowd. It was a limited edition paint job, commissioned by Yamaha UK to help shift a few more off the showroom floors - or so I am told. I've seen about three in those colours, they apparently did only a handful. That particular one is now in different colours after a rebuild following "the hedge incident", which is a shame, but at least it did get a new lease of life.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I have managed to stick with many who were not hanging around, even before I finished upgrading the suspension.

One word. Wales. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
I have managed to stick with many who were not hanging around, even before I finished upgrading the suspension.

One word. Wales. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

No idea what you mean.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap who has been working the Ivan's magic on the Fazer gen 1 thou here in the UK has just announced he is hanging up his spurs! Sad

So if you want it done, you'll either have to do it yourself, or find a bike that's already had the treatment.

Billy Balthorpe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:22 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love mine so much I've just bought another one.

Great all round bikes for not a lot of cash. Grunty, fast, comfortable, reliable, very good tourers and ok on a track if you sort the rear shock.
Don't be put off by the EXUP problems, just make sure you take the cover off, take all the bolts out and re grease or replace, and make sure the valve turns freely, a good slathering of high temp grease all over it and bolt the cover back on. Even setting the EXUP valve properly is a doddle, lots of "how to's" on youtube and on line. Takes about 30 to 45 mins to do.

There is a FZ1 on the FOC forum for £2600 if you fancy the newer model. But I much prefer the Gen 1, I am in a position where I could go and buy any bike for under £8K that took my fancy, but the combination of all the points in the opening paragraph means that I choose to buy the Gen 1 Fazer 1000.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:26 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
Honda Blackbird?

No reliability issues worth mentioning

My 2 mile push says otherwise. My 24v starter says otherwise. I'm sure other blackbird owners with melted stators will be here soon.

Literally have photos of mine in a cripsy state at low miles Laughing

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:03 - 05 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had mine too long but I'm enjoying it so far.
Only thing with mine is the previous owner was short and it's got a lowered seat on it I need to change this.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 19 days between these two posts...

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading your comments on the cam chain have eased my mind, chickenstrip - as I was warned about bad rattling last week.

I'll have the tensioner out and give it a once over - then switch to manual if required.

Cheers.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha call that perfect timing for a thread bump ey?

Today I bought a 2005 red and black Fazer after shifting my SV a few weeks ago. Pictures to follow Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 25 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Aha call that perfect timing for a thread bump ey?

Today I bought a 2005 red and black Fazer after shifting my SV a few weeks ago. Pictures to follow Smile

Happy days! Mr. Green

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:22 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagged a pretty mint 05. 28k miles. All stock minus slip on.

https://puu.sh/D6Eiy.jpg
https://puu.sh/D6Ek0.jpg
https://puu.sh/D6Elf.jpg
https://puu.sh/D6En5.jpg
https://puu.sh/D6Eo8.jpg

Some thoughts,

Its bloody fast when you push on Laughing
Really what I was after though, a good blend of sports and touring. Really feels a 600 on steroids than a big tourer. The big tank is a massive plus too. It just ate up the 220 mile trip back home no problem.

Waiting on a new set of tyres before I can take a trip somewhere. Any recommendations? ive gone for some continentals, never tried them so giving them a go. The Pirelli angels on there seemed _ok_ but were completely worn out. Deciding to try something other than pilot roads that I usually get. I like the PR's but they always feel pretty horrible once then wear down and are £££ so trying something else.

It needs setting up for me though. Stock suspension, front is mega hard, which is great on nice tarmac but any small undulations in the road and its not nice. Ive set it all back to one click softer than standard, but it still feels too hard just pumping the forks, so spanners out for the next ride and keep adjusting. I want to see how I get on adjusting the stock setup for me first before I do any physical swaps to it.

As far as performance mods Im most likely going to leave be for now, the fella I bought it from had full invans and a full system on his other one. He said the fuel economy tanked hard and for what its worth, the stock setup is fine and he reverted his. Im setting it up more for touring really so not too concerned with making more power.

Dead happy with it though! really is a perfect blend of a bit of everything, just what I was after. Deciding luggage options too.... thinking a top box and pannier mounts to put soft luggage on. I like keeping it slim so I can still filter without having hard cases on the sides.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such exquisite taste you have, sir Mr. Green Laughing

Tdibs wrote:
really is a perfect blend of a bit of everything

I cannot think of a better all-rounder. Mine is now a little more focussed towards the sportier end of the spectrum, but it has really lost nothing of its original versatility. Yeah, alright, except the fuel consumption with the Full Monty Ivans has taken a bit of a hit Laughing Although tbh, it's only because it encourages you to be a little more enthusiastic with the throttle! Twisted Evil I still get quite a good return if I ride it more gently.

If it is on the stock rear shock, I really would recommend you at least change this out for something a bit better though. It will make a big difference. Then you can set up the front to pair with it a bit better.

Happy riding! Very Happy

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugger me! I hate seeing photo's of all these gorgeous gleaming Fazers! Mine looks like junk compared... Crying or Very sad

Oh - just for touring a luggage ref:

This was just after I bought it - got the luggage fitted myself (we were a bike only family at the time - so used it for weekly shop et al).

I found that UK prices stink - so I ordered most of it from Germany and France - much cheaper for the same kit. 2x 48 litre panniers and a 49 litre top box - loadsa room.

https://i.postimg.cc/d0dCV8XZ/Fazer-7.jpg

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:50 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

...compare to the old days....

https://i.postimg.cc/2SfYKL11/Colerne-June-2014.jpg

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:44 - 28 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer riders are harley riders with no taste.

(Homosexuals in pink arseless leather chaps.)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:01 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Fazer riders are harley riders with no taste.

(Homosexuals in pink arseless leather chaps.)

You missed the stud that goes through your vocal cords, short-stop.

Stinka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this since November, only just started using it, and tinkering with problems as they are discovered. Done a service, rebuilt the exup including drilling and tapping a seized bolt. Had front forks rebuilt with stiffer linier springs and fitted an s1000rr rear shock. These suspension mods have been unreal tbh, it’s absolutely razor sharp now, but the stock stuff was shagged and probably untouched at 44k. Also I’ve had the rad end covers sprayed black to match front mudguard as they were a minging silver and looked shite. Got the titanium mivv off eBay and that’s sweet, best sounding IL4 I’ve ever heard lol. Next is to service the carbs as it’s rough as fuck low down

https://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g216/savagemoneypit/747937F2-6C2D-4438-8D6A-1735AE6AC362_zpsv1pv4bzt.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2