Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

You're moving to an island. What bike would YOU buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sprocketsite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:23 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great responses guys, I've had a good laugh.

AshWebster wrote:
two miles in diameter... literally no need for any vehicle

You're right, but my experience with motorcycles has never developed from a 'need', though I appreciate yours may be different.
Wink

Rogerborg wrote:
sprocketsite wrote:
you're tired of them almost being run over by crazy island drivers who've little to no driving experience.

You think that'll be any better on a motorcycle? Or that they'll be happy riding bitch?

How's the law enforcement on said island? Where's the nearest garage? Do they deal with motorcycles? Would they refuse to work on Chinesium bikes, or scooters?

They'd love riding bitch. Crazy is unfair, they're not really. Roads are often unlit narrow/single lane affairs and like many on the mainland they just aren't very aware of appropriate speeds for the road conditions. Nothing extraordinary, really.

Crime isn't an issue at all, and I've honestly no idea where the nearest repair garage is, but it would be a not insignificant (both in terms of time and money) boat ride away back to the mainland.

stinkwheel wrote:
Is there a theft problem on this island and are particular types of motorcycle disproportionately targetted? Do you have to pay to park? Are there regulations about the emissions this bike can put out?

Maybe you could get a major international corporation, like a bank or something, to sponsor a series of bicycles that are left about the place that people can use for a small fee.

No theft/vandalism whatsoever, no restrictions on the bike allowed other than being road legal. No parking charges anywhere. Pushbikes can be left in the street overnight and will almost certainly still be there in the morning, though they are very occasionally 'borrowed', and used by someone to get home from the pub a bit quicker.

To clarify my position though, my particular use case is a means of shuttling young dependants about, preferably in a not utterly joyless fashion. Those with kids will almost certainly know what I mean - swimming lessons, clubs, dad taxi, etc. If you're not, then keep using the condoms, pill or chocolate bar wrapper and continue to enjoy a selfish life without such nonsense, as I fondly remember doing. I walk or cycle everywhere and it's mostly fine, but my kids are too young and/or stupid to be trusted on a pushbike here. A car would be a sensible (boring) option. Tandems are another.

My motorcycle knowledge doesn't extend far beyond being able to ride one safely, and just a pinch of spanner know how. As far as models/prices/specs etc, I'm lost, and very much interested in the views of you guys. Keep the suggestions coming Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprocketsite wrote:
a circular island within the UK, 2 miles in diameter, with well surfaced, slow, roads.... my kids are too young and/or stupid to be trusted on a pushbike here.

Modern parenting.
Never mind, for day to day use I'd use a bicycle on your island (where is it?) but I was going to say that I lived on Guernsey for a short while and surprisingly they have some very cool, road-based sprints and hill climbs, as does Alderney (3 miles long x 1.5 miles wide). Race bike!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KX125 or similar 2 stroke. Trivial to work on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:09 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprocketsite wrote:
[Keep gessin muh sit-U-ashun biznitches]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Plonk.png

I hope this response has been every bit as helpful as your question deserves.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:38 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Adding the belated requirement to take a passenger and not get murderkilled on the roads, I've probably suggest a Mini Moke. Because I am a free man, and I like my lulz.

https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/vZ0AAOSwol5YwX6R/s-l225.jpg

Wink

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
https://images.archant.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.2365505.1378247636!/image/3230567966.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/3230567966.jpg

Ken Wallis - man was a legend!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
kgm wrote:
KTM Freeride E-SM

Don't tell OP, but my kneejerk answer for me based on the original problem would be an electric pedal cycle with a 2kW+ motor and no Rainpals®'s given about licence, VED or insurance.

I keep getting tempted to buy an electric pedal cycle but everytime I look at it I come to the conclusion that I'm fit enough to just actually cycle and so buying an assisted one would just be lazy and a needless expense. They do look fun though.

Have you had a go of the Freerides at Hypertrax yet? I actually thought they were really good, just a shame about the price tag.

sprocketsite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:02 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
sprocketsite wrote:
a circular island within the UK, 2 miles in diameter, with well surfaced, slow, roads.... my kids are too young and/or stupid to be trusted on a pushbike here.

Modern parenting.
Never mind, for day to day use I'd use a bicycle on your island (where is it?) but I was going to say that I lived on Guernsey for a short while and surprisingly they have some very cool, road-based sprints and hill climbs, as does Alderney (3 miles long x 1.5 miles wide). Race bike!

Modern parenting indeed. I'm on St Mary's, but no such fortune with the sprints here, sadly.

The amount of vehicles here, in my opinion, is ridiculously unnecessary. People who haven't lived on the mainland often behave as if the other side of the island is the other side of the world. The roads are often barely wide enough for a car, nevermind a car and bicycle. It's a shame, but hey, that's why I'm here, exploring the potential benefits their thinking might bring.

RTV's are popular, but as with many of the suggestions here, the more expensive the toy, the more difficult it is to justify, especially given the lack of care that will likely be afforded it.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprocketsite wrote:

RTV's are popular, but as with many of the suggestions here, the more expensive the toy, the more difficult it is to justify, especially given the lack of care that will likely be afforded it.

That Kubota is the mutts nuts and perfect for your situation. Lack of care is a crap excuse, unless you're one of those types that hasn't sussed that regular washing will prevent knob cheese.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an island and want a bike? Pretty obvious isn't it.....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLBEw6Mx_A50uMuKIjog-PfXmtzg0VHqOnmdm39w8EPWn5Mmoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhORZGaeQ9g

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:23 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuinely thought this was going to be an oblique referrence to the "Island" of central London.

Sounds like you need one of the various designs of Dutch cargo bike then. Fitted with an electric motor.

https://api.ning.com/files/I3dypOdGvF2PX41P2RLEIPxHkUXoBE5D6VfTRV88KsbWmU2zUzYogxIwXh2C3OtDgwUae0p3xkIIpT9Lyz1CotHWsaEVVRg7/MG_4069.jpg

sprocketsite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:30 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
sprocketsite wrote:

That Kubota is the mutts nuts and perfect for your situation. Lack of care is a crap excuse, unless you're one of those types that hasn't sussed that regular washing will prevent knob cheese.

Why would I want to prevent it? To deny the dog a treat?

...I don't have a pet by the way, thats what I call the wife.

Literally, anything with a motor and the ability to transport 2 people would do. Those RTV/ATV's certainly look fun, but they're not really. Plus, for the cost of a used one you could get 5 MX5's, which stands a chance of actually being a bit of fun. Or, a motorbike. One which is old, simple and dependable.

I'd love that boatercycle. It would make getting back and forth the mainland a bit easier.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Genuinely thought this was going to be an oblique referrence to the "Island" of central London.

Sounds like you need one of the various designs of Dutch cargo bike then. Fitted with an electric motor.

https://api.ning.com/files/I3dypOdGvF2PX41P2RLEIPxHkUXoBE5D6VfTRV88KsbWmU2zUzYogxIwXh2C3OtDgwUae0p3xkIIpT9Lyz1CotHWsaEVVRg7/MG_4069.jpg

I can see which one's his favourite Smile

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:37 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ural used to make a motorcycle and sideboat.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ural used to make a motorcycle and sideboat.

If they did I expect it came with torpedo tubes Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these then:-
https://boatorbike.co.uk/

sprocketsite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:50 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I can see which one's his favourite Smile

2 of those kids don't even belong to him, he's just too mashed to realise.

That thing would work in Holland. Cycle lanes wider than our motorways and flatter than a supermodels chest.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:09 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprocketsite wrote:

That thing would work in Holland. Cycle lanes wider than our motorways and flatter than a supermodels chest.

You have clearly never been to Amsterdam.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprocketsite wrote:
2 of those kids don't even belong to him, he's just too mashed to realise.

Sneaky gingers.

sprocketsite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:31 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
sprocketsite wrote:

You have clearly never been to Amsterdam.

An odd accusation. My memories of Amsterdam are, admittedly... hazy.

Cobbled streets aside, I've never seen a more cycle orientated country. Multi storey car parks for bikes, huge cycle lanes, and very flat. What am I missing? Can't imagine it could have changed that much since the last time I was there.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:03 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sprocketsite wrote:

Cobbled streets aside, I've never seen a more cycle orientated country. Multi storey car parks for bikes, huge cycle lanes, and very flat. What am I missing? Can't imagine it could have changed that much since the last time I was there.

Amsterdam was a cycling nightmare when I looked at it. Yes cycle lanes everywhere but they are pretty narrow, often cobbled and with many humpback bridges. You run a gauntlet of stoned English people, trams, inattentive pedestrians and roadside herring shops. And all the other cyclists.

The Dutch rock along through all this on WW2 vintage cargo bikes with wonky wheels and no brakes without a single fuck given.

Last time I went, the wife (who is a keen cyclist) wanted to hire bikes. I said to walk to the hotel from the station then make that decision. She decided to stick with walking.

sprocketsite
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:02 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Amsterdam was a cycling nightmare when I looked at it. Yes cycle lanes everywhere but they are pretty narrow, often cobbled and with many humpback bridges. You run a gauntlet of stoned English people, trams, inattentive pedestrians and roadside herring shops. And all the other cyclists.

The Dutch rock along through all this on WW2 vintage cargo bikes with wonky wheels and no brakes without a single fuck given.

Last time I went, the wife (who is a keen cyclist) wanted to hire bikes. I said to walk to the hotel from the station then make that decision. She decided to stick with walking.

Yeah, I never explored cycling in Amsterdam, and can't recall how well the centre specifically lends itself to cycling, perhaps due to the time that's elapsed since I was there, or perhaps the, ummm... air pollution at the time, but other parts of the country certainly does. Got some great memories from Holland. I remember those bikes well enough, and seeing car parks full of them in Amsterdam in particular. Didn't realise when I first went there how the scheme worked, and was amazed that anyone would be able to find their bike in the sea of identical bikes. Doh!

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

50cc 2 stroke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:23 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
50cc 2 stroke

https://img-webike-370429.c.cdn77.org/moto_img/cg/6/5729/L_noviopm50_197301.jpg

?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Amsterdam was a cycling nightmare when I looked at it.

I cycled through Amsterdam on a fully loaded bike whlist en route to Norway and had no issues. Of all the places I travelled through The Netherlands was by far the easiest. Cycle Lanes were great and very well sign posted. You do need to be aware of other traffic in Amsterdam but certainly wasn't an issue for us. No where near as bad as many parts of the UK.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3