Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Eye irritation from riding?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Eye irritation from riding? Reply with quote

Not had an eye test for about 16 years, never had any problems. My eyes have been irritated this week so went got them checked. Looked like I had a bit of dirt but it is a small bit of UV damage on right eye plus dry eyes. Im outside couple hours a day. I dont need and hate glasses.

When riding air leaks around visor and into my eyes. Often feel dirt hit me. I need to stop this, but has happened with every lid. Opening the chin vent can help change the airflow but not much better. Any ideas?

Gave me eye drops Sad and told me to wear uv protection - trying to sell glasses, for outside. Otherwise eyes are perfect Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:21 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need glasses but are in denial. Did you actually have an eye test? Avoid Specsavers and go to a proper opticians.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Any ideas?

Aye, use eye drops. Tots srs.

Air flow into the eyes is a huge irritant and while not a problem specific to motorbike riders its probably made worse because of taking the brunt of air flow through vents and slightly open visors etc.

Interestingly the guy I spoke to at the opticians (main eye test man) said that in order to get full use of my contacts and prevent blurry vision closing all the vents on my helmet and keeping the visor shut is the best option. This, of course, is a no-brainer problem creator as is wearing glasses when in cold weather because every pin-lock fogs eventually thus, as I've experienced, riding in cold weather varies and some days vision is A O.K and others blury, out of nowhere. You, of course, are convinced that you don't need glasses and don't, I assume, wear contacts so while my experience isn't directly related to yours I write it because blury and reduced vision mid-ride is not a fun thing to experience and so is better to prevent than think its not an issue.

Keep an eye out for:

1) feelings of dryness, grittiness or soreness that get worse throughout the day
2) burning and red eyes
3) eyelids that stick together when you wake up
4) temporarily blurred vision, which usually improves when you blink

As per NHS advice. No. 2 and No. 3 are probably worth noting if occurs because could be blepharitis or, in the summer, conjunctivitis (also for many other reasons). I say keep an eye out for (no pun intended) because if occur is probably the point regular eye care is more needed.

I'd visit someone else, though, just to be sure because even professionals make mistakes: a trained optician putting two contact lenses in my eye because, "I can't see the one you've just put in.. I think it's fallen out," for example.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be sweat trickling into your eyes. Sometimes get the same problem causing watering. Recently had an eye test and all perfect; that was there suggestion.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear a DECENT pair of wrap round eye protectors under your helmet.

Something like this

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bolle-tracker-ii-clear-lens-safety-specs/43500

I say decent because the cheap ones are likely to give blurred vision on the peripherals.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:19 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Eye irritation from riding? Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
When riding air leaks around visor and into my eyes. Often feel dirt hit me.

I can't recall ever having dirt hit me in the eye while wearing a closed visor on a full face lid. Thinking

Sounds like you need to reduce airflow around your frog eyes. Have an eBay for "helmet windjammer" (sadly not as filthy as it sounds).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:18 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I get sore eyes on the bike too.

Pretty much any sort of glasses will stop the harmful, short UV wavelengths. I used to work with them in a lab and the difficulty was finding something they WOULD pass through, we had to use special and ludicrously expensive crystal test tubes for UV spectrophotometry. Your visor will block most of them.

UV can cause irritation but if you're like me, part of it is wind blast drying the surface out, part of it is damage to the cornea/tear film by small particles.

I awlays wear some sort of protective glasses under my helmet. Oakley wrap-arounds for preference, the lenses are optically perfect. In fairness though, I'm a cheap arse so I mostly wear JTS stealth protective glasses. which I like because they are a close fit and don't have a seperate "bridge" that goes on your nose, something that annoys the crap out of me. Available in a wide choice of colours.

I also use eye drops on occasion. I look for over the counter ones containing hyaluronic acid, this will help to repair the damaged tear film. The tear film is much more complex than just salty water.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed I've gotten a couple of styes after long rides - on every occasion there was a short period of riding visor up slightly so I love longer do that. The only reason I've done so previously is due to salt on the visor obscuring my vision or due to my glasses fogging if I'm not wearing contacts. I'm tempted to get a pair of those safety glasses tbh.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:07 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I've noticed I've gotten a couple of styes after long rides - on every occasion there was a short period of riding visor up slightly so I love longer do that. The only reason I've done so previously is due to salt on the visor obscuring my vision or due to my glasses fogging if I'm not wearing contacts. I'm tempted to get a pair of those safety glasses tbh.

If you're doing a lot of motorway stuff, you get a lot of oil and dieselly crap flung onto you in the road spray. I' ve seen me wash my face after a run and the water be noticeably black.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:38 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was specsavers. I had a proper eye test, including eye pressure, photo of the back, sight test, all perfect, and exam of the eye surface - which was not. I do not need glasses for seeing. I only need something to protect my eyes from UV - glasses, visor, safety squints. Was impressed by the eye test, they check a lot more than when I last went.

In my opinion, prevent this stream of dusty air going around the visor, although he dismissed that / road dust as being a mere annoyance - there are no scratches or signs of foreign bodies on my eye surface.

Cant remember which he said I have.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinguecula
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pterygium_(conjunctiva)

Suggesting I wear glasses under lid while riding? that does not seem ideal as they will fog up.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:10 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a fly find a way through my closed visor and straight into my eye at 85mph on the motorway, I had to dive for the hard shoulder and was stopped for 10 mins whilst I stopped crying - the agony was similar to the 1st time I wore hard contact lenses.

I have regular eye irritation on bike from wind dryness and now tend to wear my specs rather than contacts due to the specs providing a windbreak.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:34 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Suggesting I wear glasses under lid while riding? that does not seem ideal as they will fog up.

Nah. As I said, I wear some form of close-fitting/wrap around glasses all the time. They tend not to fog up and, because of your focal length, muck and dirt on them tends to be nowhere near as intrusive/distracting.

Put it this way, they fog up less than a pinlock. It's only when first starting off they tend to steam but I just pull them forwards slightly when I get on the bike and push them into place once I'm moving.

Best ones I ever had for on the bike were ones McDonalds gave for free with a Big Mac meal when Terminator 2 came out. They had a kind of flexible rubbery frame. Lost them on Edinburgh bypass when I did a lifesaver at 100mph with an open face lid on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

The Bolle Trackers linked above have an anti-fog coating. You can add Cat Crap or other magic goo as well. You might still get fogging but you won't know until you try.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always get a dead person's eyes and pop them in if it gets really bad.

Dirt that was inside the helmet or on your clothes or your big moon fizog being stirred up by the draughts through the visor is most probably where the 'dirt' particle that hit your eye came from.

If you leave your helmet in dusty, dirty (down on the ground/road) they you can pick up stuff.
When you jam your oversized noggin in there you transport any detritus from the neck collar to the inside of the helmet.

Just sayin'

And what is wrong with Specsavers?

We were all raped by opticians years ago when they could spunk into our eyes for plastic frames and lenses they bough cheap and sold to the NHS and private vision impaired for extortionate prices. The Baaaastarts.

Specsavers broke that fukin' pattern of theft.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 19:23 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has no-one suggested to buy an actual helmet that doesnt leak?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:34 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

Aye, Borg.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
And what is wrong with Specsavers?

We were all raped by opticians years ago when they could spunk into our eyes for plastic frames and lenses they bough cheap and sold to the NHS and private vision impaired for extortionate prices. The Baaaastarts.

Specsavers broke that fukin' pattern of theft.

Then started their own? They said my eyes were fine for driving (why I went) but recommended glasses. They're stupidly strong and I can't even use them. My prescription says I'm just over the threshold for astigmatism in one eye Rolling Eyes

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:28 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

At 120 they all leak?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny this topic came up as I was having problems and put it down to feeding sheep dry dusty hay in the gale force wind last week.
Went to Docs and he prescribed Hypromellose drops and after two days almost normal again, felt better even at first use.
You can buy on the high street for less than half prescription price.
I will have an unopened one in stock in case it flares up again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:18 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems today despite wearing specs just from the bitter wind.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drops perscribed were 0.2% Sodium Hyaluronate without preservative 11 quid isa bit expensive, the bottle is annoying to use.

I got a spare bottle 0.1% from poundworld, but these have 0.0001% PHMB, hve not tried yet.

Got some cheap wrap around safety specs butnot tried under lid yet

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:49 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I got a spare bottle 0.1% from poundworld, but these have 0.0001% PHMB, hve not tried yet.

Confused Not sure I'd skimp on eye drops Smile

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have identical ingredients to the other Sainsburys bottle I bought for a few quid more. Im not sure you are aware how poundworld and similar stores work. It is mostly stock where supply far exceeds demand. Most of it is name brand where the brands are willing to have their stock at a discount else they will fire up a new brand name and use exactly the same recipie. I just checked the bottle both are made by EM Pharma ltd in the UK.

I also say the bottle, small squeezy type, much nicer to use, easier to aim, slightly bigger drop than the fancy expensive German one

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:16 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
AshWebster wrote:

At 120 they all leak?

Fine at 119 though, just do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riding with your eyes closed will help. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2