Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Transporting bike + Cone filter?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:16 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Transporting bike + Cone filter? Reply with quote

Two questions today:

1: best way to transport bike in a ford box van(with tail lift).

i have a rear paddock stand and a few ratchet straps but i dont think the van will have any anchor points to secure it down. Whats the best way to keep it safe?Had a look and the van has 500KG limit on the tail lift and then 1000KG in carrying capacity so thats not a worry.

I was actually thinking of draining the oil and petrol and just laying it down on an old mattress or something but that seems un-necessary.
Will be transporting bike from Hull to just north of the Forth crossing in Scotland this Thursday or Friday and in this weather with no proper winter gear, riding it would be a death sentence.

2: for a 125 making about 11hp would a cone filter actually do anything?

Will it actually give any more power if i add a good quality cone filter and then get everything tuned up to match the aftermarket exhaust.i know the (fuelling? or is it valves?) need adjusting as the chavcan exhaust pops and crackles constantly under deceleration but would it be worth it? I am...heavy... for a 125 so i need all the power i can get from it.

Thanks for the help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Put it in gear, on the side stand and tie it down to the floor with ratchet straps. Alternatively, remove the fuel tank (or drain the fuel), put some foam (something, so the bike doesn't get scratched) on the floor and lay the motorcycle on it, the oil filler hole up. Then tie it down.

2) IF done correctly, it should give you a bit more power. But do not expect much.
EDIT: If you don't tune it up for the pleasure of fiddling with things, don't bother. There's not much performance to be gained. You'll be better off keeping it stock and maybe getting a shorter final drive gear ratio, to make the motorcycle a bit swifter.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 16:42 - 03 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:46 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
1. Stop being a pussy.

2. Pass test > Buy a bigger bike to lug your fat arse around.

Trying to make a 11bhp 4 stroke 125 go faster is nothing but a waste of time and money.

I can't change my age. literally nothing i can do to get a bigger bike. All i can do is try to squeeze as much as i can from it.

im not riding 260 miles on dual carrigeways in -5°C weather and dressed in a hoodie with zero wind protection.

Last edited by adengtg on 23:49 - 02 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Off Topic). Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
How old are you?

Buy a Varadero 125 until you can unlock the A2 category.

Because? Thinking

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:50 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

18, i have been looking at varaderos but dont have the money yet.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Just get whatever working motorcycle, get rid of it when you're old enough to get the A2 or full A, buy something more suited to your needs, enjoy.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:56 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Just get whatever working motorcycle, get rid of it when you're old enough to get the A2 or full A, buy something more suited to your needs, enjoy.

Mmm, stuck in restricted limbo for the time being. just gotta make the most of it until A2 rolls around in November

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
im not riding 260 miles on dual carrigeways in -5°C weather and dressed in a hoodie with zero wind protection.

Buy some motorcycle gear, perhaps. I mean, you're going to need it anyway. Thinking

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:01 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Buy some motorcycle gear, perhaps. I mean, you're going to need it anyway. Thinking

Well, i have a set of basic gear but will be ordering a proper quality set asap. Right now i have a Kevlar hoodie and cheap trousers,gloves and boots. Problem is, i haven't started work yet so i have no credit score for finance. going to have to wait for a month or two before i put in the order.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 00:02 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put a cone filter on a bike you'll gain nothing, and probably trash the fuelling.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:03 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Mmm, stuck in restricted limbo for the time being. just gotta make the most of it until A2 rolls around in November

Well, that's the reasonable way. You may also spent vast amounts of money on a 125cc two stroke, completely rebuilt it and derestrict it, then fly around at 120 mph, before something goes wrong (5-0 or mechanically) and back to the drawing board.

Ar CG125 motorcycles still ubiquitous? Get one of those.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:08 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:

OP - I would just embrace the Chinese piece of shit for what it is until you're old enough to get an A2 and stop whinging about it like a hard done by like a little bitch. It is 12 months at the most which I'm sure you're well aware of it really isn't a long time.

Im trying not to be a little bitch but i'm a teenager with waaaaay too much spare time so forgive me.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:10 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Well, that's the reasonable way. You may also spent vast amounts of money on a 125cc two stroke, completely rebuilt it and derestrict it, then fly around at 120 mph, before something goes wrong (5-0 or mechanically) and back to the drawing board.

Ar CG125 motorcycles still ubiquitous? Get one of those.

Not a fan of the CG. yes its reliable and not depreciating that much but... mine looks cool... to me... and has cool meme stickers on it..

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:23 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Not a fan of the CG. yes its reliable and not depreciating that much but... mine looks cool... to me... and has cool meme stickers on it..

Just keep it and ride it, until you get the A2/A. Any other 125cc motorcycle would be a waste of money, at this point. Thumbs Up

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:27 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Just keep it and ride it, until you get the A2/A. Any other 125cc motorcycle would be a waste of money, at this point. Thumbs Up

Well, i thought of getting a grom and keeping it after A2 and getting a bigger bike as well but not right now as i commute on dual carriageways.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Sigged

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Well, i thought of getting a grom and keeping it after A2 and getting a bigger bike as well but not right now as i commute on dual carriageways.

Let me quote you here: ''Problem is, i haven't started work yet so i have no credit score for finance.''

What are your financial plans?

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:51 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Let me quote you here: ''Problem is, i haven't started work yet so i have no credit score for finance.''

As in, i have a job but the actual project hasn't started yet. so i have no credit score to get finance until ive worked for a bit and paid a few bills. start date is 12th march but may be postponed because of the weather up in Scotland. will be working on the forth bridge you see.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:

As in, i have a job but the actual project hasn't started yet. so i have no credit score to get finance until ive worked for a bit and paid a few bills. start date is 12th march but may be postponed because of the weather up in Scotland. will be working on the forth bridge you see.

So the cash flow is expected. So why bothering with loans? There are some things you should never take a loan for and motorcycles are one of those things. Wink

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:05 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

So the cash flow is expected. So why bothering with loans? There are some things you should never take a loan for and motorcycles are one of those things. Wink

Well, i was wanting to get it asap. i was expecting to order around £1500 worth of gear. Get geared offers up to 24 months 0% interest finance with 10% deposit.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:30 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:

Well, i was wanting to get it asap. i was expecting to order around £1500 worth of gear. Get geared offers up to 24 months 0% interest finance with 10% deposit.

£1,500?? You must be joking. Here's an alternative for you. You have a cheap 125 which I assume you need to commute on. You need reasonable warm, waterproof kit to do up to 60mph for reasonably short periods of time.

The solution therefore, is to take the £150 which you were going to use as a deposit, save another £100 over the next couple months and use that cash to buy the whole lot cash in hand. Sounds like you already have a helmet at least, so £150-200 for a set of second hand textiles, some decent army surplus boots and a decent set of gloves is by no means impossible.

I picked up an A* andes jacket and trousers off ebay for £180 delivered. Hardly worn. I commuted all last year in that kit, 3 hour round trip, motorway and A road, summer and winter. More than good enough for the job you need it to do. Another £50 for goretex lined gloves, £30 for some milsurp boots and a decent jumper and you should be laughing. Maybe £300 max.

Taking out finance to spend £1500 on brand new kit when you are 18 and 'cant afford a varadero' is nothing short of stupidity. So there.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 02:01 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 600 for an 08 varadero with high miles, around 50k.

Try and find one, they can be had cheap.

Otherwise, it's 2 stroke time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 57 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2