Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Win 7 probs, wot do?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Win 7 probs, wot do? Reply with quote

So, suddenly my laptop has gone a bit mental - took forever to boot up, then won't open any applications, or might open a browser, then freezes when I try and do anything else.

Tried a system restore, which made no difference, then did some googling and ended up running sfc/scannow from the CMD prompt - that hung at 79% an took 45 minutes to tell me it couldn't run.

I've now discovered that everything runs fine if I start in safe mode with networking, which is where I am now.

Samsung lappy, about 3 years old, no changes from standard and I haven't downloaded anything in almost 2 years (AVG says no viruses).

Not very tech savvy, but I can follow instructions, if anyone has any ideas.

TYIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 22:58 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have an SD card reader and if so is there an SD adaptor in it?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In task manager what if anything seems to be using resources?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Thank me later.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
In task manager what if anything seems to be using resources?

Let's see

I've got Chrome (and only that) open as my browser just now, and it's running 7 instances of chrome.exe - 1 of those is sitting at 185000k, two of them at 100000+k, another two at 20-30000k, the last two around 2000k.

Explorer.exe and HelpPane.exe are at 15000ish and there's a couple more processes running at 2-5000k.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Do you have an SD card reader and if so is there an SD adaptor in it?

'
It's got an SD slot, but there's nothing in it (I don't think I've ever used it) and this happened very suddenly, one day it was working fine, the next it wasn't - all I did was turn it off in the morning, then back on again when I got home from work.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 01 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Similar thing with the wife's laptop recently.

From boot up the laptop was constantly sluggish. Task manager (when it eventually loaded!) showed 100% hard drive usage. Not sure what it was doing but left it turned on and doing whatever's it was doing for a couple of hours and it fixed itself.

My guess is it was installing background updates or some other back end windows stuff?

Is it an SSD hard drive?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Had a Similar thing with the wife's laptop recently.

From boot up the laptop was constantly sluggish. Task manager (when it eventually loaded!) showed 100% hard drive usage. Not sure what it was doing but left it turned on and doing whatever's it was doing for a couple of hours and it fixed itself.

My guess is it was installing background updates or some other back end windows stuff?

Is it an SSD hard drive?

Hmmm, that makes me think.

I've turned off automatic updates since I ended up on a data capped mobile broadband device - I haven't done any sort of update for 18 months, so maybe that's the problem.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had exactly the same issue twice in the past few months, also win7.

The first time, after a fresh OS install. The Windows update app failed to update the system, but kept trying regardless, eating up a very reasonable portion of my computing power (70-80% CPU utilisation). Fixed by manually installing updates by the KB codes and all that. A known issue, probably caused by Microsoft themselves to promote win10. Thinking

The second time I had this issue, the reason was much simpler. Malware in the system files = antivirus had no clue. I only found out about that as that was the very last thing I tried to fix my computer. How to check for malware? There are a plenty of scan tools around, free of charge and actually working. The issue however is, that the only way how you may get rid of the malware is mostly by removing the infected files. In my case that was the explorer.exe; the programe could not ''just repair it''. So now my PC runs as it should, but every time I boot the OS up, I have to manualy turn the explorer.exe on in the task manager.

EDIT: Microsoft has its own malware scanner tool on their site for free.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 10:46 - 02 Mar 2018; edited 2 times in total

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:50 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note you have a Samsung laptop, and I note that one person asked if it has an SSD hard drive.

If it does have an SSD, it could have been a sly update that happened in the background and messed around with your computer's RAM settings.

My Samsung SSD firmware updated recently, after which my laptop was taking years to do everything. I discovered the update had reset a load of stuff and for some reason it told my laptop it was only allowed to use 200MB of RAM out of the 8000MB it had available. No wonder everything was going so slow.

To check and/or fix this issue, follow these steps:

Quote:

1. Choose Start > Control Panel, and double-click System.

1.b On this screen you should note how much RAM your computer has.

2. Choose Advanced System Settings in the Tasks list (on Win10 it's on the left, not sure about Win7 but it should be in the same place).

3. Select the Advanced tab and click Settings in the Performance section.

4. Select the Advanced tab and click Change.

5. Deselect 'Automatically Manage Paging File Size For All Drives'.

6. Select the main/largest hard drive.

7. Select Custom Size, and type the amount RAM your computer has in the Initial Size box. Type two times the amount of your computer’s installed RAM into the Maximum Size box.

8. Click Set, and then click OK. Continue to click OK to exit all dialog boxes.

9. Restart the computer

This is what fixed the very similar "suddenly slow but still functional computer" problem that I encountered.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:46 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some issues with my PC a few days ago, CPU at 100% load and could barely move the mouse pointer etc. nothing showed up in the task manager or the startup, the only thing that I'd installed was twitch recently

I done a scan with AVG and that found nothing, done a scan with malwarebytes and that found 6 trojans (3 of which were bitminers), after they were cleared out the computer went back to normal.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

Thank me later.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:28 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
I done a scan with AVG and that found nothing, done a scan with malwarebytes and that found 6 trojans (3 of which were bitminers), after they were cleared out the computer went back to normal.

That's pretty standard, AVG isn't great but it offers real-time protection, even though half of the alerts seem to be for genuine software. Along with the increased ads that's why I stopped using it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
andym wrote:

That's pretty standard, AVG isn't great but it offers real-time protection, even though half of the alerts seem to be for genuine software. Along with the increased ads that's why I stopped using it.

AVG is crap, ever since the bought Avast or the other way around, using the free version was not a pleasant experience, with yearly registration, that stopped working for me.

Now I run the MS Security essentials (not part of the w7 install) and I am very happy, as it doesn't bother me with ads, nor registrations etc., and it really only uses the HW resouces when you perform testing + you may limit the amount of CPU utilisation. Does it really protect my PC? Not sure about that, but it seems to run properly, so I'd say yes.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
The hard drive is fecked. Trust me, I'll put money on it.

Wouldn't the hard drive be "fecked" in safe mode too though? Thinking

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, try this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/malicious-software-removal-tool-details.aspx

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
AVG is crap, ever since the bought Avast or the other way around, using the free version was not a pleasant experience, with yearly registration, that stopped working for me.

Now I run the MS Security essentials (not part of the w7 install) and I am very happy, as it doesn't bother me with ads, nor registrations etc., and it really only uses the HW resouces when you perform testing + you may limit the amount of CPU utilisation. Does it really protect my PC? Not sure about that, but it seems to run properly, so I'd say yes.

Same. I've had the odd alert from MSE but it doesn't freak out everytime I download something from github like AVG used to. I never knew AVG got bought out.

RhynoCZ wrote:

What's the difference between that and Windows Defender (the Win' 7 version)? Is it a stand-alone version?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:00 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a run once check, for if something odd might be going on.
If you do all the updates one is included periodically and runs automatically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Shame I'm not a gambling man, I would've won large! (not that I would've taken it, I knew that wasn't the problem)

Tried Avast, AVG and Rhyno's suggestion, everything came back clean.

Ran Malwarebytes (Thanks Andy, I had forgotten about that one) found 52 faults, quarantined, problem solved.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Shame I'm not a gambling man, I would've won large! (not that I would've taken it, I knew that wasn't the problem)

Ran Malwarebytes (Thanks Andy, I had forgotten about that one) found 52 faults, quarantined, problem solved.

You could have just run the simple combofix program I linked at the start and fixed it in no time at all.

Never mind though.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Wouldn't the hard drive be "fecked" in safe mode too though? Thinking

Isn't it frightening that this guy charges people money to diagnose and fix their computer problems? Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Shaft wrote:

You could have just run the simple combofix program I linked at the start and fixed it in no time at all.

Never mind though.

I did look at it, but even their own website tells you not to use it unless you have an expert to hand; I also read a few reviews that said it caused more problems than it fixed, so I wasn't preparred to take a chance that I could use it properly.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:35 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I did look at it, but even their own website tells you not to use it unless you have an expert to hand; I also read a few reviews that said it caused more problems than it fixed, so I wasn't preparred to take a chance that I could use it properly.

The 'expert' stuff is no more needed than with Mbam, the problems exist when it finds stuff that needs extra attention, but it does warn you. Like when a virus takes over a system file, it will tell you that it will remove it but you will need to replace it for the system to run.
People will just blindly tick the box to remove it, without looking, so fuck them, the program did its job.
Combofix looks for the same stuff as Mbam and even rootkits.
It's a lot faster and more efficient as it scans only for known dangers and not each file/dir. Anyhow, at least you fixed it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 47 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1