Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cbt allowed bikes???

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:18 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Cbt allowed bikes??? Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I’m new to biking passed my cbt last week and am on the prowl for a bike, now what’s confusing me is that on the .gov sight it says ur allowed 14.7 bp Orr 11kw, power but people are saying on forums that the Varadero, or Yzfr are learner allowed and there 15bhp, it it something to do with a1 lecanse I need to get that to get 15 bp rather than 14.7 on the cbt, might be a dumb question but thanks anyway to anyone that can help and take care and happy riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Cbt allowed bikes??? Reply with quote

Mephysto wrote:
Hi guys,
I’m new to biking passed my cbt last week and am on the prowl for a bike, now what’s confusing me is that on the .gov sight it says ur allowed 14.7 bp Orr 11kw, power but people are saying on forums that the Varadero, or Yzfr are learner allowed and there 15bhp, it it something to do with a1 lecanse I need to get that to get 15 bp rather than 14.7 on the cbt, might be a dumb question but thanks anyway to anyone that can help and take care and happy riding.

I wouldn't worry too much, as long as it's 125cc then you're fine.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you get an unrestricted 2-stoke 125, it'll never test enough over 11kW to matter. And nobody will ever care enough to test it. Get a YZF, a 'Dearo, whatever you like.

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:16 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thx Bubbs and Roger
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode around on a R125 for a few years and took my CBT on one. So, as above have stated, you'll be fine. I still think it's a great bike for a 4 stroke 125, I had loads of fun riding mine Just don't drop it, as it'll hurt your wallet.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 16:12 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dave70"]Rode around on a R125 for a few years and took my CBT on one. So, as above have stated, you'll be fine. I still think it's a great bike for a 4 stroke 125, I had loads of fun riding mine Just don't drop it, as it'll hurt your wallet.[/quote], I’m kinda drawn at present between the Yzf and mt kinda struggling to pick one lol.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephysto wrote:
I’m kinda drawn at present between the Yzf and mt kinda struggling to pick one lol.

I thought they were basically the same just with or without fairings? Eh?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:12 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between the 14.5 or 14.7 and the 15 'dead' quoted power of some 125's and licence regs is down to the conversion from Kw to BHP and how much 'rounding' the editor of whatever is being quoted decided to apply!

15bhp, at best might get you to a heady 70mph... which you might also get from something qith a mere 125 quoted bhp... a few tenths of a horse power is NOT going to make much odds to anything one way or another IF any-one even bothers to try measure it les start arguing over where and how they tried measuring it, and the experimental accuracy' of whatever they tried measure it with!

Just buy a 'standard' (or as close to standard as you can get!) road legal 125... and worry more about NOT CRASHING! That's the real issue on an L-Plate... or even a full licence TBH!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:19 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m kinda drawn at present between the Yzf and mt kinda struggling to pick one lol.
I thought they were basically the same just with or without fairings?
Yea but I can’t decide which look I prefer.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:22 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

15bhp, at best might get you to a heady 70mph... which you might also get from something qith a mere 125 quoted bhp

I'd hope to get more than that out of 125 bhp.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephysto wrote:
Yea but I can’t decide which look I prefer.

I've ridden the MT125 and didn't see the point of it. You're hunched over which's very un-MT like. I guess the plus point over the R125 is you don't have fairings to smash, but it's a newer model so they'll be less cheap(er) second-hand models, although don't buy a high mileage R125.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
don't buy a high mileage R125.

Informative. Black Eye

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:13 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx guys have enjoyed reading all your comments, and took not of any advice that was given. Thumbs Up

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:55 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is all new 125's are horse$hit.

Every single one. No exceptions. They're almost identical, in every way.

You may as well buy an old reliable one, rather than $punk the money on a new plastic $hitty one.

People who buy those Yamaha 125's and stick ridiculously loud pipes on, in order to make it seem less like a 125, are only drawing attention to the fact that they're on a 125, in my book.

A Honda CG125, pound for pound, is probably the best 4 stroke 125 ever made. It has engine braking. Which is awesome. And is therefore more like a Ducati 916 than any other plastic pocket rocket wannabe you care to mention in this thread.

In other similarities to a Ducati 916, a CG is a "Design Classic" with a very "mechanical" feel to its riding experience. Its gearbox is a thing of engineering wonderment. Anyone who has down-changed on a CG and 916 will struggle to tell the difference.

It is, therefore, essentially a 916, without all the nonsense of having to change the belts every 2 years, or bore people to death in a car park about Fogerty's 1994 season.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engines from the r125s have been known to fail from around 30k miles. Cant remember the exact cause but there's plenty information if you search about. I wouldn't buy a new one either, way too much money to spend on a 125.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
The engines from the r125s have been known to fail from around 30k miles. Cant remember the exact cause but there's plenty information if you search about.

Mine performed a vanishing trick with all of its oil in under 300 miles of an oil change. It remains a mystery to this day. Confused

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:34 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
You may as well buy an old reliable one

For ever and ever and ever and ever.

At some point, Joe Buyer is going to have to choose between modern Chinesium bike A that they can buy, modern Chinesium bike B that they can buy, or ancient mythical bike C that they can buy from a guy who knows a guy who knew a guy who once saw one in another guy's shed this one time.

It's possible that point is now.

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:44 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t really decided I’m def not buying a yzf or mt 125 from showroom, I’ve been searching now online for a week and there’s not much really about at a decent price seems everybody overvalues there bikes, there’s dealers but that’s kind of jumping into the fire, maybe my expectations are unrealistic, I was expecting a decent bike for £400, cbr or CBF125 but most are £1200, and for them prices may aswell get a new Chinese bike with warranty, another thing I’m not sure if is if I go look at a bike and buy it what’s legally required of me to ride it home insurance of course, but tax before I even set off?, I wouldn’t mind a Varadero though but finding one under 2k in decent nick seems hard.so I’m undecided really where to go, I did look at the cg but not for me I don’t like thin anorexic tyres I want to know there’s a nice width of rubber on the road when it’s needed, so if any of you want to volunteer any info it would be greatly appreciated, take care.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: 125s Reply with quote

When I consider that my first 125 was an 83 Suzuki gs125 (good for an indicated 75mph) and my mates had rds, tzrs and kmxs, all 2 stokes and faster. They never disappeared into the sunset, they were knowledgeable about the fragility of theirs and rode accordingly. A modern 4t 125 is no faster, so 4k plus for coolness is ridiculous. A solid bike should be your target, then tests.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:03 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephysto wrote:
I was expecting a decent bike for £400

£400 will buy you a mildewed map which leads to a secluded cove in which if you walk ten paces north from the skull rock and dig down two fathoms, you will find a rusted out swing arm for a Brazilian drum brake CG.

Mephysto wrote:
another thing I’m not sure if is if I go look at a bike and buy it what’s legally required of me to ride it home insurance of course, but tax before I even set off?

Yes. It's easy enough to do it all online.

Mephysto wrote:
I wouldn’t mind a Varadero though but finding one under 2k in decent nick seems hard.

What was wrong with the ones that you've gone and seen in person?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephysto wrote:
£400

No fucking chance, 125's carry a premium as they're all you can ride on a CBT. My neglected, now ratted, shitty little 125 commuter was £300. Zero chance it would have gone through another MOT as it was, every chance that it would get pulled on C&U offences if I had left it.

Expect to pay about grand for anything decent. Yamaha YBR is my suggestion, fairly bullet proof, loads about, spares plentiful.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mephysto wrote:
I haven’t really decided I’m def not buying a yzf or mt 125 from showroom, I’ve been searching now online for a week and there’s not much really about at a decent price seems everybody overvalues there bikes, there’s dealers but that’s kind of jumping into the fire, maybe my expectations are unrealistic, I was expecting a decent bike for £400, cbr or CBF125 but most are £1200, and for them prices may aswell get a new Chinese bike with warranty, another thing I’m not sure if is if I go look at a bike and buy it what’s legally required of me to ride it home insurance of course, but tax before I even set off?, I wouldn’t mind a Varadero though but finding one under 2k in decent nick seems hard.so I’m undecided really where to go, I did look at the cg but not for me I don’t like thin anorexic tyres I want to know there’s a nice width of rubber on the road when it’s needed, so if any of you want to volunteer any info it would be greatly appreciated, take care.

Mountain bike. You might get a completely shagged SR125 for that kind of money: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-sr125-spares-or-repairs/253448582965?hash=item3b02b67735:g:L5AAAOSwtIxakVQQ BUT you'll be fixing it more than you'll be riding it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
TJust buy a 'standard' (or as close to standard as you can get!) road legal 125... and worry more about NOT CRASHING!

You just actually made me realise that I spend most of my time riding around trying not to crash.

I need to spend more time out in the sticks and away from cars/trucks/people in general.

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:07 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea ur right guys my expectations weren’t realistic, thanks anyway for all the help.and drive safely.

Mephysto
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:09 - 02 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"][quote="Mephysto"]I was expecting a decent bike for £400[/quote]
£400 will buy you a mildewed map which leads to a secluded cove in which if you walk ten paces north from the skull rock and dig down two fathoms, you will find a rusted out swing arm for a Brazilian drum brake CG.

[quote="Mephysto"]another thing I’m not sure if is if I go look at a bike and buy it what’s legally required of me to ride it home insurance of course, but tax before I even set off?[/quote]
Yes. It's easy enough to do it all online.

[quote="Mephysto"]I wouldn’t mind a Varadero though but finding one under 2k in decent nick seems hard.[/quote]
What was wrong with the ones that you've gone and seen in person?[/quote]

I haven’t been to see any,p. Just searched online, there is one close to me for £1000 but reg says engines done over 100k ,seller says there’s been a new engine put it but???
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 28 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3