Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Adventure Bikes?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Adventure Bikes? Reply with quote

My search isn't working so starting a new thread.

Anyone own an 'adventure' bike? It's never been something i've really considered, but a G650 popped up in my timeline and made me wonder.

I know the Long Way Round really inflated the prices of these type bike, and watching those series made the offroading look like hard work due to how overloaded they were.

Just wondering how capable they are for all types of riding? I'm deep in the Welsh hills with greenlanes all over the place, it could be a great way to get to work in the morning.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts? Before you say buy a road bike and an offroad, I don't have the money for 2 bikes.

Cheers

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Vstrom 650, but I'd never use it offroad, far too heavy. But I know people who do, or people with far more skill than me

Example https://youtu.be/2kJxXi5xvDY

I've been on Rideout's with the TRF and have seen people offroading on BMW 1200's so it's all possible.

I know quite a few people use Yamaha Teneres, the 660 ones offroading, and for things like mapping the TET.

If you NEED a bike to do both, I'd stick around the 600cc range
As light enough tooffroad and pick up but alright on the road.

For example Suzuki Dr650s, or as you've found the G650 which are decent but quite rare bikes! They always sell quick on the ADV forums.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/adventure-motorcycling.com/2014/12/16/bmw-g650-xcountry-10000-mile-report/amp/

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
I own a Vstrom 650, but I'd never use it offroad, far too heavy. But I know people who do, or people with far more skill than me

Example https://youtu.be/2kJxXi5xvDY

I've been on Rideout's with the TRF and have seen people offroading on BMW 1200's so it's all possible.

I know quite a few people use Yamaha Teneres, the 660 ones offroading, and for things like mapping the TET.

If you NEED a bike to do both, I'd stick around the 600cc range
As light enough tooffroad and pick up but alright on the road.

For example Suzuki Dr650s, or as you've found the G650 which are decent but quite rare bikes! They always sell quick on the ADV forums.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/adventure-motorcycling.com/2014/12/16/bmw-g650-xcountry-10000-mile-report/amp/

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, that's why I liked the look of the G650. There's one going as a non-runner for £1600

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/862261233935632

Looked pretty light for a 650.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:13 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Moo. said with adventure bikes you want to stick around the 600cc range, the XT660Z or the Tenere is apparently decent.

you might be able to get hold of a KLR650 (the very old ones) for little money, they're very highly rated by the yanks.

If you want to look at the DR650 I'd take a look at this series on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58vB-5urcJI&list=PLEQwA8Brt84qNpRZ8nknm7xU8Q8R6yTPS

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:34 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubbs wrote:
Yeah, that's why I liked the look of the G650. There's one going as a non-runner for £1600

Oh, an X-Moto. Yes, that's a reasonable choice. Lighter then the F/G650GS, and reportedly robust: I've seen them recommended by a professional adventure tour rider.

They were poor sellers though (because no GS badge) so parts might be an issue.

A high mileage non runner for £1600 though? From a "Pro Bike Builder"? He can hardly claim it's a simple fix then. I think I'd be offering to do him a favour and take it away for him, no cost.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bubbs wrote:

Oh, an X-Moto. Yes, that's a reasonable choice. Lighter then the F/G650GS, and reportedly robust: I've seen them recommended by a professional adventure tour rider.

They were poor sellers though (because no GS badge) so parts might be an issue.

A high mileage non runner for £1600 though? From a "Pro Bike Builder"? He can hardly claim it's a simple fix then. I think I'd be offering to do him a favour and take it away for him, no cost.

It piqued my interest on the bike rather than wanting to get this exact one... 72k miles is a tad much.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:41 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth considering. The chap I got my Enfield from had an X-bike tucked away, couldn't say enough good things about it. He was pretty clued up about the sector too, even knew about the long gap between 1st and 2nd on the F650GS twin.

Oh, I definitely wouldn't recommend the 800cc twins for any sort of offroad use. They're decent enough chintzy tarmac commuter/tourers, but not mud pluggers. Your field was about as far offroad as I'd want to take one.

If I wanted a bike for green laning, I'd start by looking out for a 250 rather than a 600+.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tiger 955i and a Tiger Explorer.

The 955i was the comfiest bike I have ever owned out side my 1800 Goldwing.

I liked both of mine but they were definite tarmac tourers rather than proper dual purpose machines in my view but I am certainly not an off roader type of person.

From the Triumph range the Tiger 800 XC is the more off road oriented one.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

If I wanted a bike for green laning, I'd start by looking out for a 250 rather than a 600+.

I'd definitely recommend that too, I have 2 Yamaha TTR 250's.

But what they ain't great for is major road work. If he needs something to cover both road and offroad, something slightly bigger might be needed. As 250's arnt great sat at 60/70mph due to the gearing.

What about the TTR 600, can be had for around £2000. About 40bhp
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 27 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1