Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DRZ 400 Carb Drain Leak

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 03 Mar 2018    Post subject: DRZ 400 Carb Drain Leak Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have noticed the drain hose on my DRZ is leaking fuel. I took the carb off the bike and found the float valve was not sealing properly (blowing through the fuel pipe and air was getting through), so I ordered a repair kit from WeMoto and fitted it. Blowed through the pipe again and it seems the valve is now completely sealed Thumbs Up

However, there was still fuel leaking from the drain pipe. There were only two more things I could think of to try; the float height, and whether the drain screw was actually sealing. After checking, both are fine, so I am pretty much out of ideas now. I did try fitting the old plunger into the valve as the button on top was actually a slightly different size to the new one, but it's still leaking.

Does anyone have any other ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Alex

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is the S model with the Mikuni carb.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:38 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still sounds like the carb is over filling, i would check the needle valve and the seat again for dirt. Also is the seat housing with filter sealed as well. I take it that the float floats and is set correctly!

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petcock seals gone?

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Still sounds like the carb is over filling, i would check the needle valve and the seat again for dirt. Also is the seat housing with filter sealed as well. I take it that the float floats and is set correctly!

I will check this again, but it does seem like it is completely sealed as I can't get any air to come through the valve when I blow through it.

UncleBFester wrote:
Petcock seals gone?

If the petcock seals were gone would the fuel not be leaking from the petcock itself, rather than the drain hose?

Really am at a loss as to what else could be causing this...

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

you said your carb drain has fuel coming out of it? Fuel only gets into the bike from one place. you need to work your way backwards.

I only mention about the petcock seals as my mates bike had an issue similar to this and it turned out the carbs we're slowly filling with fuel when the bike was left standing.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck it in the bin and put an FCR39 on instead Thumbs Up

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 04 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""""I will check this again, but it does seem like it is completely sealed as I can't get any air to come through the valve when I blow through it.

""""""
If it is completely sealed it would not overflow.
Also it should not overflow with a faulty petcock (fuel tap).
Boddee This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:35 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: DRZ 400 Carb Drain Leak Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
Hi all,

I have noticed the drain hose on my DRZ is leaking fuel. I took the carb off the bike and found the float valve was not sealing properly (blowing through the fuel pipe and air was getting through), so I ordered a repair kit from WeMoto and fitted it. Blowed through the pipe again and it seems the valve is now completely sealed Thumbs Up

However, there was still fuel leaking from the drain pipe. There were only two more things I could think of to try; the float height, and whether the drain screw was actually sealing. After checking, both are fine, so I am pretty much out of ideas now. I did try fitting the old plunger into the valve as the button on top was actually a slightly different size to the new one, but it's still leaking.

Does anyone have any other ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks

Alex

EDIT: Forgot to mention it is the S model with the Mikuni carb.

Is it a drain or an overflow?

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: DRZ 400 Carb Drain Leak Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It does both.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:49 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: DRZ 400 Carb Drain Leak Reply with quote

-Monty- wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It does both.

It can't be both. If it's a drain, it'll come from the bottom of the float chamber and will have a screw in it. If it's a overflow, it will come from the top of the float chamber and will be basically an open pipe.

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: DRZ 400 Carb Drain Leak Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It can't be both. If it's a drain, it'll come from the bottom of the float chamber and will have a screw in it. If it's a overflow, it will come from the top of the float chamber and will be basically an open pipe.

There is a drain screw at the bottom of the float bowel that you unscrew to drain the carb. Next to this inside the float bowl there is a small metal upright pipe which brings any overflowing fuel through it down the drain pipe. I'm guessing fuel going down this pipe somehow bypasses the drain screw and goes straight down the hose.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case fill the float bowl with petrol off the bike so that it doesn't reach the overflow. It it leaks its the drain, if it doesn't, lower the float a tad and see if it fixes it. I take it that you've checked that the float actually floats.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 33 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1