Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Last Rode a Bike when 14 years old

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:48 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Last Rode a Bike when 14 years old Reply with quote

Hi all

I am 49 years young and I've decided it's time I bought a motorbike. Thing is, I know next to nothing about it all. The last time I sat on a motorbike was when I was about 14 years old, and I haven't touched one since. As a result, I have a few questions I was hoping someone could answer for me, please.

My first question, I passed my car (manual) test on the 9th February 2001 so I missed some date by 9 days which means I need to do my CBT. Not sure though if I need to apply for a Provisional motorbike licence. I think I do but I'm not sure. I'm not sure because, on my drivers' licence (the pink card), it says under Category that I am allowed to drive 'B' (cars) and 'B1' (3 or 4 wheeled light vehicles). But on the green counterpart paper driving licence, under Category, it says 'A' ("Any size motorcycle with or without a sidecar"), BE ("Cars with trailers"), and GH, which I think is road rollers and tracked vehicles.

I found the above information on the DVLA Drivers Licence booklet which you can check out here (scroll down a little):

www.gov.uk/government/publications/ins57p-information-on-driving-licences

My second question is about the motorcycle theory/hazard & perception test. Is this the same as the standard car theory/hazard & perception test or is it different?

My third question, after my CBT and assuming I pass the theory/hazard & perception exam, I will want to take the DAS. I know they supply 600cc bikes to take the test on, but I don't have a motorbike and money is a bit scarce at the moment so I can't afford to buy one (second hand). The DAS is £540 but does that include a number of lessons over a period of days (like you get with the standard car lessons) wherein I can gain experience on the bigger bikes or is it a one-day practical exam?

Thanks all and sorry for the bombardment of questions Smile

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:19 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a car license then you don't need to apply for a motorcycle provisional - you already have it. You just need to so the CBT (keep the certificate safe, it's needed for later tests). If you look at the A category on your photo card you'll see some codes at the end of the line 79 (tri) or something like that. Those are the restrictions limiting you to trikes only until you pass you motorcycle tests.

Theory tests follow the exact same format however some of the questions differ a little.

DAS courses vary between schools so you'll have to ask. I got 2.5-3 days worth of lessons on mine for about £600 plus the practical tests. I spread those 3 days over about a month. A good school will block book tests as well so you don't have to wait ages.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:23 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
If you already have a car license then you don't need to apply for a motorcycle provisional - you already have it. You just need to so the CBT (keep the certificate safe, it's needed for later tests). If you look at the A category on your photo card you'll see some codes at the end of the line 79 (tri) or something like that. Those are the restrictions limiting you to trikes only until you pass you motorcycle tests.

Theory tests follow the exact same format however some of the questions differ a little.

DAS courses vary between schools so you'll have to ask. I got 2.5-3 days worth of lessons on mine for about £600 plus the practical tests. I spread those 3 days over about a month. A good school will block book tests as well so you don't have to wait ages.

Thank you Kgm

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:39 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Last Rode a Bike when 14 years old Reply with quote

You've probably got provisional A on your licence, but being the DVLA, I'd check. This is the point of truth: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

As above, the theory test is pretty much the same as for cars, with a scant handful of bike specific questions thrown in. You can fail all of them and still pass the test, by logic that only a bureaucrat could follow.

The tricky part is the hazard perception. You'll find yourself clicking sooner than you're expected to because it's aimed at actual novice drivers. It's definitely worthwhile getting some sort of up to date app or practice tests and just hammering through the hazard perception clips to learn where you're supposed to spot the hazards. Just treat it as a game.

"DAS" doesn't really mean anything, beyond that you're doing direct rather than graduated access to full A. The tests themselves are well specified and if you look on YouTube you'll find some actually useful DVSA videos covering both module 1 and module 2 tests.

Don't fret about them, they're not hard and module 1 has been made a bit easier in recent years. It's easy to fail on a silly foot down or missed cone, but there's nothing inherently difficult in it.

Training is entirely a matter between yourself and your chosen training school or instructor. Cost, length, what's covered, that's all negotiable.

What I would say is don't commit to anything until you've done the CBT, and assess the instructor while you're being assessed. The standard of instruction is all over the place - you don't want to give your hard earned to some shouty wazzock who stops for a smoke break every ten minutes.

The whole licensing process is a bit of a slog, but it's absolutely worth it when you're all done. Biking is just ace, I'm so glad I got into it.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Last Rode a Bike when 14 years old Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
My first question, I passed my car (manual) test on the 9th February 2001 so I missed some date by 9 days which means I need to do my CBT.

Note that even if you'd passed before that date, you'd still need a CBT to ride anything over 50cc.

Chris-J wrote:

I know they supply 600cc bikes to take the test on, but I don't have a motorbike and money is a bit scarce at the moment so I can't afford to buy one (second hand). The DAS is £540 but does that include a number of lessons over a period of days (like you get with the standard car lessons) wherein I can gain experience on the bigger bikes or is it a one-day practical exam?

You seem to be confused there, DAS just means going straight to a full A licence. The A test costs nothing like that much, and doesn't include the bike.

The bike hire arrangements, lesson scheduling etc depends entirely on what you can arrange with your local trainer. They will frequently book the tests for you but there is no nationally accepted "scheme" which dictates exactly what you get for your money.

Rock up to your local training school and see what they have to offer.

I'm was in a similar situation to you, last rode when I was about 19 and took it up again in my 40s.

I had 1.5 days solid training then my MOD 1 test, followed a few weeks later by a day and a bit then my MOD 2. Cost me about £500 all-in including tests and bike hire, but I already had a CBT.

Edit: Roger got there first, and answered so much better than me Smile

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:20 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Last Rode a Bike when 14 years old Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
I've decided it's time I bought a motorbike.
Quote:
money is a bit scarce at the moment so I can't afford to buy one

Er, wut?

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:12 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the information, it's all very encouraging

So, assuming I pass my CBT (just phoned the DVLA and I do have a provisional motorcycle licence) and the theory/hazard perception test, what exactly would I have to do to be able to ride any sized bike? I thought it was, pass a DAS (where you used hired bikes), but it seems this isn't the case.

@Freddyfruitbat
Sorry, I meant, I want to learn to ride and eventually own my own bike but I can't currently afford both. I could afford the CBT and a few lessons but only lessons where they provided a bike to practice on. Later, I have a mind to buy my own bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:47 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
So, assuming I pass my CBT

Slight nitpick, it's not pass/fail, it's continue until you reach the required standard.

Since it's done by private sector instructors though, it's their definition of standard, and again, the quality of instruction varies. Don't just throw money at the nearest training school, check our their facilities and instructors.

And don't assume it's a 1-day course. It's as long as you need. Ask about the costs of subequent days or half-days.

Chris-J wrote:
what exactly would I have to do to be able to ride any sized bike? I thought it was, pass a DAS (where you used hired bikes), but it seems this isn't the case.

It is, but it's three tests:

Motorcycle theory
Module 1 offroad
Module 2 on road.

Booked and competed in that order.

Technically you don't need to do any training between the CBT and the tests, but it's not really practical to get your own 595cc+ 40kW+ bike and practice on it yourself, at least not legally.

So the vast majority of people end up going via a training school, both for training and to get access to one of their bikes for the tests. Typically they'll also book the test for you, or rather give you one of their pre-booked slots.

I'll stress that the training component is entirely between you and your chosen instructor. Shop around, see what you're getting for your money and if possible get personal recommendations from local riders who have been through it recently. Cost in extra days if you need them, and the cost of re-doing the tests.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:57 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant.

Thank you Rogerborg Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:15 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing to add, everything regarding the tests has been said except 'get on and do it'. You've wasted 32 years of possible motorcycling, don't waste anymore. Thumbs Up

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:57 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have nothing to add, everything regarding the tests has been said except 'get on and do it'. You've wasted 32 years of possible motorcycling, don't waste anymore. Thumbs Up

Here's hoping for 32 years ahead of me!

I'm an optimist Very Happy

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:03 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I need to buy a motorcycle specific highway code to practice for the theory test and motorcycle specific software to practice the hazard & perception test, or will the standard (vehicle/car) one do?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:13 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hazard perception is identical. You'll want motorcycle specific practice test questions and answers, as some of the questions are bike specific.

Oh, and sadly just knowing the highway code isn't sufficient as there are questions that it doesn't cover. I got one on first aid, and then was shown a tram sign. No, it wasn't asking what to look out for on a motorcycle when you see this sign (tram tracks), I was required to identify the ecomental advantages of trams. Brick Wall

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The hazard perception is identical. You'll want motorcycle specific practice test questions and answers, as some of the questions are bike specific.

Oh, and sadly just knowing the highway code isn't sufficient as there are questions that it doesn't cover. I got one on first aid, and then was shown a tram sign. No, it wasn't asking what to look out for on a motorcycle when you see this sign (tram tracks), I was required to identify the ecomental advantages of trams. Brick Wall

There are also plenty of online/printed resources you can view/buy that will guide you through the theory/Hazard Preception

Luckily i was gifted a great book by a guy from work who went through the whole process a couple of years before me, I'll see if i can remember what it was called, as it had all the possible questions and answers in the back of the book, i think it was a Haynes book actually

EDIT: Ahh yes, it was Haynes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Learn-Ride-2011-2012-Everything/dp/0857331507

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
Do I need to buy a motorcycle specific highway code to practice for the theory test and motorcycle specific software to practice the hazard & perception test, or will the standard (vehicle/car) one do?

I did zero revision for the multiple choice questions, got one wrong on the car theory, got three wrong on the bike theory.

Hazard perception I nearly failed the first time (one mark less and I would have) and didn't do a lot better on the second occasion, so I'd focus on that assuming you have an ok knowledge of road signs etc., you should as a car driver but I know drivers who have failed the motorcycle theory Neutral

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Chris-J wrote:

I did zero revision for the multiple choice questions, got one wrong on the car theory, got three wrong on the bike theory.

Hazard perception I nearly failed the first time (one mark less and I would have) and didn't do a lot better on the second occasion, so I'd focus on that assuming you have an ok knowledge of road signs etc., you should as a car driver but I know drivers who have failed the motorcycle theory Neutral

I failed my motorcycle theory last year, 20 years after passing my car theory test 1st time

But as Roger pointed out, it's the silly non driver related questions that got me, questions about Toucan crossings (has anyone ever seen a toucan crossing) and first aid questions that got me

Oddly though, i found the hazard perception easy, i would have aced it had i not clicked too many times on one of the videos 1st time round, scored top marks in all but 1 video

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Toucan crossings (has anyone ever seen a toucan crossing) and first aid questions that got me

All the time Confused My driving instructor said you remember it as two can cross Smile I remember the first aid ones being common sense. If you find an unconscious biker do you...

a) destroy the brain to stop them turning into a zombie
b) take your opportunity to molest their lifeless corpse
c) remove their helmet and use them as a ventriloquist dummy
d) don't touch them and call an ambulance

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:13 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advice and link

I tried a few practice h&p last night and it's so hit and miss Neutral

I found you can either click too early or too late.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:16 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:
Toucan crossings (has anyone ever seen a toucan crossing) and first aid questions that got me

All the time Confused My driving instructor said you remember it as two can cross Smile I remember the first aid ones being common sense. If you find an unconscious biker do you...

a) destroy the brain to stop them turning into a zombie
b) take your opportunity to molest their lifeless corpse
c) remove their helmet and use them as a ventriloquist dummy

All depends whether they are female and still warm Thumbs Up

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:21 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
You'll want motorcycle specific practice test questions and answers, as some of the questions are bike specific.

And the motorcycle specific questions are found in the standard highway code booklet? Reason I ask is because the Haynes motorcycle book is 6 years old and might be out of date.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
You'll want motorcycle specific practice test questions and answers, as some of the questions are bike specific.

And the motorcycle specific questions are found in the standard highway code booklet? Reason I ask is because the Haynes motorcycle book is 6 years old and might be out of date.

Well it got me through the test only 6 months ago, i know they do add questions at regular intervals, but even if it covers 95% of it, for the price i think it's worth looking into

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:26 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Well it got me through the test only 6 months ago, i know they do add questions at regular intervals, but even if it covers 95% of it, for the price i think it's worth looking into

True.

I'm thinking of getting this for 3 months as it seems to cover it all: www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk/shop/car-theory-kit

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
I remember the first aid ones being common sense. If you find an unconscious biker do you...

Is that actually the official answer? If so it doesn't gel with the Bikerdown course, which points out the need to assess airway/breathing (as if they aren't breathing it's not a lot point protecting the neck by leaving the helmet on if you can't do CPR as a result. Though of course they do also teach you how to remove a helmet safely)

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:00 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
I'm thinking of getting this for 3 months as it seems to cover it all: www.dvsalearningzone.co.uk/shop/car-theory-kit

(costing £20) Confused The test is £23. Unless you're particularly potato I don't know why you'd need to study that hard for it: https://metro.co.uk/2014/07/13/learner-driver-sits-theory-test-110-times-while-another-takes-37-practicals-to-pass-4796716/ ...there should be a limit Rolling Eyes

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
M.C wrote:
I remember the first aid ones being common sense. If you find an unconscious biker do you...

Is that actually the official answer? If so it doesn't gel with the Bikerdown course, which points out the need to assess airway/breathing (as if they aren't breathing it's not a lot point protecting the neck by leaving the helmet on if you can't do CPR as a result. Though of course they do also teach you how to remove a helmet safely)

I think the advice for muggles is not to touch them. Personally I'd rather be dead than paralysed. I might have that printed on my helmet Thinking

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:24 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid Question Alert

When in first gear and you want to shift up into second gear, how do you make sure you hit second and not neutral, do you feel for two clicks or is there some other technique?

Can you tell it's been 35 years since I last sat on a bike? Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3