Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
Stupid Question Alert

When in first gear and you want to shift up into second gear, how do you make sure you hit second and not neutral, do you feel for two clicks or is there some other technique?

Can you tell it's been 35 years since I last sat on a bike? Very Happy

You just push it up and it'll go into second straight through neutral. Going into neutral requires a more gentle touch to pop it in.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:54 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when you click up from 2nd to 3rd, then from 3rd to 4th, does the gear lever rise higher with each ascending gear (so the lever is higher in 4th than it was in 3rd for example), or does the lever 'reset' so even though you are going up in gears, the lever remains at the same level?

In other words is it

5th
^
4th
^
3rd
^
2nd
^

Or is it

^ 2nd ^ 3rd ^ 4th ^ 5th

I really hope that makes sense Embarassed

Last edited by Chris-J on 20:34 - 07 Mar 2018; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Personally I'd rather be dead than paralysed

Actually, that's exactly what I said at Bikerdown!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:
does the lever 'reset' so even though you are going up in gears, the lever remains at the same level?

^^^This (in effect).

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:22 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Chris-J wrote:
does the lever 'reset' so even though you are going up in gears, the lever remains at the same level?

^^^This (in effect).

Brilliant

Thank you

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:39 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how does riding a motorbike differ from driving a car?

I don't mean motorcycle safety advice such as lifesavers, and watching out for everything that moves, I mean more of navigating the roads and traffic.

For example, do you use the same lanes when approaching, leaving and navigating roundabouts?

I know you move to just left of the white line when waiting to turn right at a junction/crossroads, but are there other things you do differently?

In other words, I've been driving for 18 years, how much of a difference can I expect when it comes to navigating the roads?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:05 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Chris-J wrote:
Stupid Question Alert

When in first gear and you want to shift up into second gear, how do you make sure you hit second and not neutral, do you feel for two clicks or is there some other technique?

Can you tell it's been 35 years since I last sat on a bike? Very Happy

You just push it up and it'll go into second straight through neutral. Going into neutral requires a more gentle touch to pop it in.

I wish. I normally get neutral when I'm racing away from the lights and banging it into second, but it depends on the bike. I had a Honda for a bit that liked finding neutral on downshifts (from 2nd > 1st) Confused

Chris-J wrote:

Get used to cancelling your indicators Smile The main difference is you have to be more aware of the road surface, potholes etc., manhole covers and thick white lines in the wet. Also your line's more important, you can't carry as much speed through a corner either.

Get used to being invisible to car drivers Neutral

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:12 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Get used to cancelling your indicators Smile The main difference is you have to be more aware of the road surface, potholes etc., manhole covers and thick white lines in the wet. Also your line's more important, you can't carry as much speed through a corner either.

Get used to being invisible to car drivers Neutral

Thanks M.C.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:42 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared to move around a lot more, both within your lane, and across the whole road if necessary to improve your vision, your visibility, and to keep away from hazards.

You will get pulled out on, and you will get tailgated, particularly on roundabouts and sharp bends. Genuinely be prepared to slow down and if necessary come to a stop or pull over if you're in any doubt that another vehicle might not give way, or if White Van Man is utterly convinced that he'll get to his next gig ripping off a pensioner more quickly by being in front of you rather than 6" behind.

Watch the front wheels of vehicles at junctions to see what they're doing: don't ever kid yourself that you've "made eye contact" with the driver. We're social monkeys and like to use faces to communicate, but a monkey-face turned in your direction is as likely to be looking right through you rather than at you. Front wheels, every time.

SMIDSY weaves are a laugh.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:53 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Be prepared to move around a lot more, both within your lane, and across the whole road if necessary to improve your vision, your visibility, and to keep away from hazards.

You will get pulled out on, and you will get tailgated, particularly on roundabouts and sharp bends. Genuinely be prepared to slow down and if necessary come to a stop or pull over if you're in any doubt that another vehicle might not give way, or if White Van Man is utterly convinced that he'll get to his next gig ripping off a pensioner more quickly by being in front of you rather than 6" behind.

Watch the front wheels of vehicles at junctions to see what they're doing: don't ever kid yourself that you've "made eye contact" with the driver. We're social monkeys and like to use faces to communicate, but a monkey-face turned in your direction is as likely to be looking right through you rather than at you. Front wheels, every time.

Thanks for the advice and link Rogerborg Thumbs Up

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

But using your horn isn't Tut Tut

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

But using your horn isn't Tut Tut

I know you're in that London, but you're still sort of British.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:57 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a little research concerning my first bike purchase (G's advice on first bikes found on this forum) and so far it's a choice of either a Honda cg 125 (4 stroke) or a Honda NSR 125 (2 stroke). A Suzuki Ninja 250 (2 stroke) was also recommended.

I don't like the look of the Honda cg nor the fact it's a 4 stroke, the NSR is too sporty looking (I want something a bit more subdued first time out) and the Ninja is a 250.

Any advice, another bike instead?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:37 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd skip the tiddler altogether, do your training and tests, and get access to a much wider range of bikes, many of which actually exist. Suzuki Ninja 250 2 stroke? Eh?

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:08 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I'd skip the tiddler altogether, do your training and tests, and get access to a much wider range of bikes, many of which actually exist. Suzuki Ninja 250 2 stroke? Eh?

I think I meant Kawasaki Ninja 125 4 stroke

That's my excuse anyway.

The plan was to knock around on a 125 after getting my CBT because I don't have any motorbiking experience. Then, when I get my DAS done and dusted, I'll have a bit of mileage under my belt.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:39 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:

I think you didn't. There's a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (4 stroke), which tends to be ridden by the more discerning motorscootist, but not until you're licensed up.

Chris-J wrote:
The plan was to knock around on a 125 after getting my CBT because I don't have any motorbiking experience. Then, when I get my DAS done and dusted, I'll have a bit of mileage under my belt.

It's not an insane idea and used to be pretty common. But now it doesn't get you any closer to being licensed up, and you're likely to lose money on the bike and the insurance, while picking up some bad-to-hazardous habits that are specific to 125s, i.e. assuming you can stop on bad cambers, but you can't accelerate your way out of trouble.

Now, I'd recommend that you skip it and go straight to big bike training and tests rather than wobbling around essentially untrained and hoping for the best.

You don't have to get a FireBusa after you're licensed, but the moment you get on a 595cc+ training bike, you're going to have buyer's regrets about any 11kW 125.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:53 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Chris-J wrote:

I think you didn't.

You're right, though I'm not sure what I meant anymore.

Rogerborg wrote:
There's a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (4 stroke), which tends to be ridden by the more discerning motorscootist, but not until you're licensed up.

I'm not too enamoured of the sport bikes. I quite like the look of the cruisers (is that what they're called in the UK?). There's a Yamaha XV250 Virago 250 second hand for £1,999 (1114 miles) at one of the local dealers I'm looking at. Not that I can afford anything right now.

Chris-J wrote:

Rogerborg wrote:
It's not an insane idea and used to be pretty common. But now it doesn't get you any closer to being licensed up, and you're likely to lose money on the bike and the insurance, while picking up some bad-to-hazardous habits that are specific to 125s, i.e. assuming you can stop on bad cambers, but you can't accelerate your way out of trouble.

Now, I'd recommend that you skip it and go straight to big bike training and tests rather than wobbling around essentially untrained and hoping for the best.

You don't have to get a FireBusa after you're licensed, but the moment you get on a 595cc+ training bike, you're going to have buyer's regrets about any 11kW 125.

So that's CBT -> Theory -> DAS -> 250cc and up? I like the sound of that. It's what I was going to do first of all but worried I might need more practice on a smaller bike.

EDIT: Does your avatar randomly change? Pretty cool that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:11 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAS takes you from never having ridden a motorcycle before to having a full big boys unrestricted license.

"do you use the same lanes when approaching, leaving and navigating roundabouts"

Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another her for DAS and a big bike.

I've said it before and will carry on saying it to new riders...

When my daughter learnt to ride I had to at some points ride both her Gilera DNA moped and her SR125 Yam.

The moped frightened the life out of me for it's lack of power and the bullying I received from cars. The 125 was an underpowered unstable lump of junk with poor brakes. I couldn't wait to get back on my Goldwing after riding that. Bearing in mind I have been riding since 1975 so I do have a bit of experience. I couldn't have been happier when she passed & got her Honda 400

Go for Das, get a 600. Cheaper than a 125. Better than a 125. Safer than a 125. More fun than a 125. Thumbs Up

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 09:24 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
DAS takes you from never having ridden a motorcycle before to having a full big boys unrestricted license.

"do you use the same lanes when approaching, leaving and navigating roundabouts"

Thumbs Up

Good point

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:48 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Another her for DAS and a big bike.

I've said it before and will carry on saying it to new riders...

When my daughter learnt to ride I had to at some points ride both her Gilera DNA moped and her SR125 Yam.

The moped frightened the life out of me for it's lack of power and the bullying I received from cars. The 125 was an underpowered unstable lump of junk with poor brakes. I couldn't wait to get back on my Goldwing after riding that. Bearing in mind I have been riding since 1975 so I do have a bit of experience. I couldn't have been happier when she passed & got her Honda 400

Go for Das, get a 600. Cheaper than a 125. Better than a 125. Safer than a 125. More fun than a 125. Thumbs Up

This has finally made my mind up to go for something bigger

Thanks for sharing this Thumbs Up

Any recommendations on a particular bike for a beginner? I like the cruisers and was looking at something like the Yamah XV535 Virago but I know next to nothing about all this. I know I'm not interested in speed (if it does 80mph I'm happy) and want to ride for comfort.

It's got good reviews

Virago XV535

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:01 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've done DAS, you'll have some idea of what you did and didn't like about the bike you did it on.

Then people will be able to give constructive advice about what bike would suit you. Thumbs Up

Basically, get your DAS sorted or at least started before worrying too much about what bike you may or may not want to buy.

Comfort is subjective and once you've been riding around on the DAS school bike, you'll have some idea about what will suit you. Mr. Green

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:42 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much that. Most cars drive pretty much the same way. Bikes do not. Slight differences in riding position, suspension, and engine make huge differences to the way they feel. What you'll enjoy is an entirely subjective decision, and you'll likely chop and change a few times before you find the right bike (or bikes) for you (or your current mood).

The XV535 is a perfectly reasonable choice, although they're knocking on a bit now and cruisers tend to attract a price premium over a generic naked like a Bandit or ER6. But it would be premature to decide.

Whatever you do, don't go out and buy a bike before you're licensed up, that's just asking for trouble and disappointment.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:56 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all again for the advice

I'll get my DAS and take it from there

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris-J wrote:

Dramatically. To paraphrase Lois Pryce who was paraphrasing Robert M. Persig, if driving a car is like watching a film, riding a bike is like having the starring role.

More prosaically, here are some things you'll probably notice quite promptly (if you primarily drive a bog standard saloon sort of car):

i). Sense of velocity - even a 4t 125 can convey a markedly greater feeling of acceleration and momentum than a standard car.

ii). Engine braking - it's initially pretty surprising how promptly a bike loses speed, especially a four stroke one. The poor aero-dynamics exaggerate this.

iii). Height - unless you usually drive a big 4wd SUV or a van, a bike seems to place you ludicrously proud of your immediate surroundings. Suddenly you can see over hedge lines, etc.

iv). Olfactory weirdness - riding a bike turns you half man, half blood hound. The faintest whiff of bonfire smoke, cut grass or cow shit assails your nostrils in an instant. Wtf. I suppose it's mostly due to the fact that you're out there in the thick of it rather than sealed in a steel and glass box. However, it's more than that. Your senses are working harder. Riding a bike is, quite simply, far more involving. It's a visceral, thrilling and fucking ace thing.

v). Cornering is more difficult. As is going fast. And going slow. Doing almost anything is more demanding. But because of that, it's usually more rewarding.

vi). Your left thumb becomes arguably the most important part of your whole body - particularly if you're an experienced driver. Because you WILL fail to cancel your indicators. And because of this, a vehicle at the next junction WILL pull out on you and crush your lungs, face and aorta. So use that left thumb - all the time. Just get used to pressing the cancel signals button, and get some decent muscle memory trained in. So that you're doing it every ten seconds or so. Etc.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 20 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3