Last Rode a Bike when 14 years old

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When my daughter learnt to ride I had to at some points ride both her Gilera DNA moped and her SR125 Yam.

The moped frightened the life out of me for it's lack of power and the bullying I received from cars. The 125 was an underpowered unstable lump of junk with poor brakes. I couldn't wait to get back on my Goldwing after riding that. Bearing in mind I have been riding since 1975 so I do have a bit of experience.:

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/Yamaha%20SR125%2082.jpg

I wish my 125 had a front brake like that Smile

Rogerborg wrote:
So much that. Most cars drive pretty much the same way. Bikes do not. Slight differences in riding position, suspension, and engine make huge differences to the way they feel.

That's the main difference IMO, you feel everything a bike does, so personally I've always been ok adapting to every bike I've swung a leg over. Cars particularly with numb steering, vague brakes are harder (for me at least) to adapt to, and you seem to learn more by repetition. For example I know how fast my car can go round a corner because I've tried it, the steering gives very little feedback as to what the tyres are doing.

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's scary are the accidents that you seem to have no control over. One lad was riding along a road, no showing off, good speed, responsible. Next second his back wheel slid on gravel and he's kissing the side of a rocky mountain. Helmet probably saved his life.

Scary. No matter how safe a ride you are, it can happen. Seems all I can do is minimise risks as much as possible, and then, be prepared to come off.

/ramble off

Chris-J
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:13 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Chris-J wrote:
So how does riding a motorbike differ from driving a car?

Dramatically. To paraphrase Lois Pryce who was paraphrasing Robert M. Persig, if driving a car is like watching a film, riding a bike is like having the starring role.

More prosaically, here are some things you'll probably notice quite promptly (if you primarily drive a bog standard saloon sort of car):

i). Sense of velocity - even a 4t 125 can convey a markedly greater feeling of acceleration and momentum than a standard car.

ii). Engine braking - it's initially pretty surprising how promptly a bike loses speed, especially a four stroke one. The poor aero-dynamics exaggerate this.

iii). Height - unless you usually drive a big 4wd SUV or a van, a bike seems to place you ludicrously proud of your immediate surroundings. Suddenly you can see over hedge lines, etc.

iv). Olfactory weirdness - riding a bike turns you half man, half blood hound. The faintest whiff of bonfire smoke, cut grass or cow shit assails your nostrils in an instant. Wtf. I suppose it's mostly due to the fact that you're out there in the thick of it rather than sealed in a steel and glass box. However, it's more than that. Your senses are working harder. Riding a bike is, quite simply, far more involving. It's a visceral, thrilling and fucking ace thing.

v). Cornering is more difficult. As is going fast. And going slow. Doing almost anything is more demanding. But because of that, it's usually more rewarding.

vi). Your left thumb becomes arguably the most important part of your whole body - particularly if you're an experienced driver. Because you WILL fail to cancel your indicators. And because of this, a vehicle at the next junction WILL pull out on you and crush your lungs, face and aorta. So use that left thumb - all the time. Just get used to pressing the cancel signals button, and get some decent muscle memory trained in. So that you're doing it every ten seconds or so. Etc.

Thank you for the advice. It's appreciated
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 38 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3