Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garden wall removal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Garden wall removal Reply with quote

Can anyone offer me some advice on knocking down a brick wall?

It 2 bricks thick x 3 foot high x 6 foot long. (approx)

I have access to power so was considering hiring a rotary SDS hammer drill chisel thing and just removing a brick at a time until it's gone.

I'm not much of a meat head, but would it be easier to whack it with a sledge hammer? Or lump hammer and chisel?

Sounds easy enough, but that's not usually an accurate way to assess tasks!

I'd also like to leave a smooth surface that I can drive on. I'm guessing I could fill in any gaps with some cement (also not something I've done before)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smack it with a sledge hammer and see what happens.

If that doesn't work then damage the wall using a chisel and lump hammer before smacking it again with the sledge hammer.

You might get a smooth surface at the bottom or that part might require further work using the chisel and lump hammer.

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer everyday etc etc etc Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:26 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invite Smiler round then put a crisp packet in the road.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:57 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just push over. You never know 'till you try.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Garden wall removal Reply with quote

fatjames wrote:
Can anyone offer me some advice on knocking down a brick wall?

Really depends on how solidly built and old it is, how intact the mortar is etc, which is why nobody can really tell you for sure. It might well succumb easily to a sledge hammer, also depending on how hard you can hit it, otherwise you're on to hammer/chisel or SDS machine. They will both work; one will be much quicker, more fun, and more expensive than the other - your choice.

Quote:
I'd also like to leave a smooth surface that I can drive on. I'm guessing I could fill in any gaps with some cement (also not something I've done before)

Yes, the wall will be built on some form of foundation below ground level, so use your chisel (be that manually or SDS-powered) to take the base of the wall maybe an inch or so below ground level, and then fill in the slot up to ground level again with concrete.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:18 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were it me, I'd send a text out to my mates...

"Anyone wanna smash up a wall Saturday afternoon? BYO Hammers, Beers on me."

I reckon 2-4 would be free and We'd have a proper laugh drinking beer and causing destruction.

Last edited by chris-red on 14:24 - 06 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

toby1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:30 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semtex Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:36 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A feck off gert hammer will do the job but an sds with a chisel bit and rotary action turned off* will be much easier.

*the idea of it spinning the chisel seems like a good idea until the first time it digs in and jams, ripping the fucker out of your fingers and twatting you in the side of the head in the process...
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:51 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
You don't need to be a 'meat head' you've got to be seriously thick or a pen pushing faggot if you don't know how to knock a wall down.

Try using your head.

Is a Fazer as good at this as a Varadero?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Is a Fazer as good at this as a Varadero?

No the Fazer is only good for taking out hedges.

But you need the thou for that Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one BCF Smile

Given the choice of buying a sledge hammer or borrowing / renting a smashing tool.. SDS sounds like the way to go.

Bogeyman wrote:
you've got to be seriously thick or a pen pushing faggot if you don't know how to knock a wall down.

In my opinion, the thick person would be the one who doesn't do any research before carrying out a task they've had no experience of.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:23 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a sledge hammer so go and buy yourself one. Wink

It's much more fun than using a rented SDS chisel drill thingy.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone has found their forte in this thread.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He couldn't swing a toffee hammer.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer and chisel would do it, will brake it up into manageable bits. Should take long. Don't forget to wear gloves.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone find the 'bike meets wall' thread with the pictures. Just to give James the right direction of course. Whistle
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going bananas on it with a hammer is fine if you want high speed clay and mortar shrapnel flying around randomly at
window breaking velocity, It's also a great way to make tidying up afterward take twice as long as your debris field
will be pretty big. Get a 1inch cold chisel, bang it into the mortar lines dead centre of each brick and they will come away one at a
time,usually whole. A 20oz hammer will be plenty using this method. It's only a little wall. Deconstruct it a brick at a time,
working your way along each row. By the time you reach the bottom you'll be an expert chiseller and able to do the last
couple of rows below the surface.

One of these will do. If you don't have any, then buy or borrow some knee pads and some sort of eye protection.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 06 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:
You will want a dozen rubble bags a brush and shovel aswell as the sledge hammer OP.

Oh, the technical skills! Aren't you the clever one Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2