Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good 2nd 'big' bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:54 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Good 2nd 'big' bike Reply with quote

Right... my first post in the forum.
I've had my first 'big' bike - a 1996 CB500 - since about 2003. I never meant to hold on to it for this long, but it's been good fun and hardly missed a beat, having mainly been used for the 20 mile commute to work, with the occasional longer blast across country. If Honda hadn't made such a forgiving, easy and reliable bike I would have moved on years ago.
But... now is the time! I need a change. I need more power, better brakes (this CB5's got a drum on the rear) and better headlight. My budget is £2000 max. I feel myself narrowing down to FZS600 Fazer (probably c.2002/3) or Honda CB600F Hornet. Maybe Kawazaki z750. Probably less so the Suzuki SV650. I'm also not averse to the likes of the ER6N or Versys. I've read enough to put me off the Bandit. I want naked or, at the most, bikini-clad. I'm not particularly into supermoto styling. I'm 5'8''. I wan't something reliable and with a reasonable finish (I've owned two Hondas bikes and two Honda cars so have probably been spoiled in that regard).
I'm sure there are plenty of you guys who have thoughts, suggestions and experience.. if so I'd appreciate hearing them!
Hmm.. shall I just get a Fazer!!??
Cheers
Steve

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:01 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go big or go home. Smile

...and a drum brake on the CB500 is ample.

...oh and Welcome. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:12 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Go big or go home. Smile

...and a drum brake on the CB500 is ample.

...oh and Welcome. Thumbs Up

Ok.. Suzuki GSX1400 it is then Smile
Cheers

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:31 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not, it's a big engine.

Could just buy a sports for mega lols
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:30 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireclown wrote:

Cheers

Why not?

Provided you arent a soy addled midget, the muscle bikes would be a nice upgrade from the CB500. The GSX14, XJR1300 etc are all big and friendly and easy to ride. Less of a jump than getting on a sports 600 Thinking

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
Fireclown wrote:

Cheers

Why not?

Provided you arent a soy addled midget, the muscle bikes would be a nice upgrade from the CB500. The GSX14, XJR1300 etc are all big and friendly and easy to ride. Less of a jump than getting on a sports 600 Thinking

XJ1200, CB1300 and ZRX1100/1200 as well, though your budget may be a problem. with the Honda's and Kwak's, they keep their value really well.

As said, don't let the capacity put you off, they're not hard to ride, just remember the extra weight at the first few junctions.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:41 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

My first "big bike" after passing my test was a Mk1 Hornet 600. It had been kept indoors so it looked pretty much brand new but even commuter bikes still look great after a wash. They're bombproof bikes, I only ever had an issue with a brake caliper seizing up.
Plenty of power for a naked 600, made far more fun with a +3 rear sprocket. I have a progress thread on here somewhere but I think Photobucketofshit has killed all the images.

Couldn't recommend one more.

Tom.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting responses! I hadn't really been thinking of anything larger than a 750, not because I don't think I couldn't handle the larger capacity but mainly due to practicality. It's to be used mainly for the commute on a daily basis, all weathers, and has to be easy to get in and out of the back gate, which ain't that wide. And I'm no midget but 5'8'' and fairly short in the leg. But I may widen my search as you've all gone and set me thinking. Thanks.. my brain needs to do more work!
Back to the original post though, FZS600 or Hornet? I'm not really looking for someone to tell me which is better coz I know they both have their pluses and minuses, but more to get a feel what people prefer to live with. And if there are any other suggestions feel free to continue expanding my horizons!
Cheers

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:05 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else have you ridden? Personally I can't get on with IL4s, and chasing the revs while you run out of road. But it is a very personal opinion, there's no right or wrong answer I'm right though.

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:16 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first 'big bike' was a Goldwing... It was 2004 and the restriction rules were simpler.

I'd personally recommend the post 2004 FZ6. Had one for coming up 5 years, wrote it off, bought it back and put it back on the road for less than £500 all in. 6 gears help it on the motorway, but to be honest, I rarely got above 4k revs around town. They've got plenty enough torque too, I used to go to rallies with the missus, kit, and a trailer.

Having ridden both the Hornet and 3 era's of Fazer, I've got to recommend the Fazer on handling, feel, and comfort. Plus the looks - mono-shock, underseat exhaust, bikini fairing (or not on the FZ6S) and Givi touring packs are cheap enough for it too.

But that's just me Razz

If you've got your license, go and test ride some (if you're old enough) or find someone local with one of the bikes to go and have a quick ride on in a car park sorta thing.
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:50 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden anything else other than my CB500 for the past 16 years or so. Before that it was all 125s - Suzuki, Honda Yamaha.
My first half-century has just passed me by so age isn't a factor for test-riding.
I keep reading that the FZ6 is not liked as much as the old FZS600. Or is it just that no one likes changing something they are comfortable with?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a big lazy engine rather than a screaming 600.

Obviously depending on your usage and whether your budget includes selling the 500.

If you are commuting on it rather than keeping the 500 and having the bigger bike as a toy, yes, a 600 is better just for the reduced consumables cost. (muscle bikes can eat tyres)

My missus had an ER6-N which she loved but I found it a bit bland. I have a feeling you might not find it much of a jump from your 500.

Fazers are the ubiquitous 600's. The do anything and everything bike. We have an old insurance write off as our hack. It's had a hard life but never missed a beat, can't fault it. The old ones have the worst headlights in the world mind. a candle would be better!

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:17 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireclown wrote:
I keep reading that the FZ6 is not liked as much as the old FZS600. Or is it just that no one likes changing something they are comfortable with?

I found the <03 model to be top heavy but felt slightly more powerful at the top end. Mechanically - I've had no issues with the 04 at all - just the consumables and what needed replacing after the accident.

My missus owned the <03 fazer with the tube frame and said she preferred the newer one.

It's all personal opinion though - best I can suggest is try to get a ride on one. Mine's not standard any more but if you're near Nottingham, feel free to pop over.
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:05 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

r6

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 07 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest engine possible if you use it for commuting.

That is all.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:56 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
Fireclown wrote:

I found the <03 model to be top heavy but felt slightly more powerful at the top end. Mechanically - I've had no issues with the 04 at all - just the consumables and what needed replacing after the accident.

My missus owned the <03 fazer with the tube frame and said she preferred the newer one.

It's all personal opinion though - best I can suggest is try to get a ride on one. Mine's not standard any more but if you're near Nottingham, feel free to pop over.

Thanks, appreciate the offer. I'm in Cardiff though and unlikely to be in your neck of the woods any time soon.
Cheers for the information.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:24 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm enjoying finding myself thinking along new lines, thanks to the thoughts in this thread. Like i said, before now I hadn't really seriously thought of going big - partly it's that I simply want a change and a bit more power. But a larger lazy engine does appeal to me. Any suggestions close to my budget? I guess i could wait a little longer and save for something, but for now it's £2000 or a divorce.
I don't want a fully faired sports bike - naked is more my thing. Or i guess i could consider something like a TDM900, off the top of my head. But i love the look of the GSX1400 ..pity it's way outside my budget. Anything come to mind?

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:33 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the lightness and flick-ability of a good mid-size though.. Would be concerned about something being too heavy - would i lose much of that? I guess it depends on the model..

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naked sv1000? Bandit 1200? Don't be put off by the Bandit, the big 1200 is meant to be a great bike

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:48 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1200/1250 Bandit is a cracking bike for the money.

An older XJR is possible for 2-2500 if you are willing to travel.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:36 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF1000 might suit.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:01 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 2010 Z750 for a couple of years and just couldn't get on with it. It's rear shock was appalling, anything spirited ended up in knots pretty quickly. The brakes were mediocre and the engine was completely gutless until above 7-8k, which wasn't easy to get to all the time as it was so slow to spin up.

Wouldn't recommend.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:19 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a CB1300? That would seem like an appropriate bike after your current one.

There was a nice one for sale near to me last year when I was doing my DAS. When my instructor asked me what kind of bike I was looking for I mentioned I'd seen this (partly in jest) and he immediately said that it would be a great bike for me. Presumably it would be even more appropriate for someone who's been riding for as long as you.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:35 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit 1200 / 1250

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:21 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't the Bandit 1200/1250 a bit big for my 5'8'' frame?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3