BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good 2nd 'big' bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:22 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBF1000 & CB1300 look very nice. CBF1000 is probably ideal, but it may be hard to find one within my budget. I may have to save a bit more before taking the plunge for some of these.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:16 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do, test ride before committing. You can't tell from the numbers.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:19 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marjay is also a midget.
He seemed very fond of his buell (I think it was the firebolt. 1200 jobby. I want one) and his daytona 675. Both fairly small bikes.

Most of the big naked bikes being mentioned have a reasonable seat height, and a fairly large and well padded seat. This means there is the option of cutting some foam out to make it lower.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Marjay is also a midget.
He seemed very fond of his buell (I think it was the firebolt. 1200 jobby. I want one) and his daytona 675. Both fairly small bikes.

Most of the big naked bikes being mentioned have a reasonable seat height, and a fairly large and well padded seat. This means there is the option of cutting some foam out to make it lower.

I've never had a Daytona, but I do have a Street Triple 675. I've had two Firebolts and a lightning (yes, I'm on my third Buell).

I've never had a problem with seat height on bikes unless it's a tall off roader or adventure bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most bikes are made for the short person.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approve of the CB500, but then I’m biased. I’ve been smashing the miles out of my CBF1000 for a few years and while it’s no looker, it suits me down to the ground. Very different to the CB500 though. I like it when I get back on the 500 and it feels like I’m flying because there’s nothing in front of me. So the opposite will be true if you test ride the CBF. It’ll feel like a tank with a load of plastic about a mile in front of you, but get it moving and the weight disappears and the hidden gem of an engine will sooth your soul with huge dollops of midrange.

But if you’re a naked fan why not look at the CB1000R? Less practical than the CBF, but 25 horses stronger and deeply sexier. Not so different cash-wise either for an older one.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Firebolts and lightning

Very, very frightening.

I want to want a Buell, but I'm always bothered by the thought that I'll be the mug left saddled with it when it needs some Unobtanium parts.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:14 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serendipity wrote:
Approve of the CB500, but then I’m biased. I’ve been smashing the miles out of my CBF1000 for a few years and while it’s no looker, it suits me down to the ground. Very different to the CB500 though. I like it when I get back on the 500 and it feels like I’m flying because there’s nothing in front of me. So the opposite will be true if you test ride the CBF. It’ll feel like a tank with a load of plastic about a mile in front of you, but get it moving and the weight disappears and the hidden gem of an engine will sooth your soul with huge dollops of midrange.

But if you’re a naked fan why not look at the CB1000R? Less practical than the CBF, but 25 horses stronger and deeply sexier. Not so different cash-wise either for an older one.

I kinda spoiled my CB500 with a cheap race can when I needed a replacement - sounds nice at around 5000-7000 rpm but too harsh most of the time. But I do like the bike. I just want a change and can't really just get a second bike at the moment. Yes I do like naked bikes.. that CB1000R gives me goose bumps! Way out of my budget though.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:16 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Most bikes are made for the short person.

I like this positive thinking!

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:22 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Robby wrote:
Marjay is also a midget.

I've never had a Daytona, but I do have a Street Triple 675. I've had two Firebolts and a lightning (yes, I'm on my third Buell).

I've never had a problem with seat height on bikes unless it's a tall off roader or adventure bike.
The only off-road-style bikes I've considered I think are the BMW F650 and Aprilia Pegaso 650. Would still consider them, but no.. I don't think they'd do it for me.
Now a Buell... hmm...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MarJay wrote:
Firebolts and lightning

Very, very frightening.

I want to want a Buell, but I'm always bothered by the thought that I'll be the mug left saddled with it when it needs some Unobtanium parts.

They aren't at the moment. Harley committed to 20 years of parts, which is at least until 2026ish? However with Trump's trade war they might go up in value a bit.

I've *touch wood* never had to buy Harley parts for my bike. Praying

The bikes have been more reliable than my Triumphs. The Buells have had maladies which are annoying, but won't leave the bike unrideable. All of my Triumphs have been rendered unrideable by one failure or another.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireclown wrote:
CBF1000

I'm wary of recommding the CBF1000 as it suffers from honda electrics disease. They burn stators for a passtime, there was a recall to reduce the output of the alternator which alleviated the issue but I don't know if it cures it.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:43 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any thoughts on the 1000cc Fazers - FZS1000 / FZ1?

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:37 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
I'm wary of recommding the CBF1000 as it suffers from honda electrics disease. They burn stators for a passtime, there was a recall to reduce the output of the alternator which alleviated the issue but I don't know if it cures it.

Mine ate it's stator at around 30k miles. I understood it was down to the insulating material on the stator failing under high temperatures (which are reached pretty quickly in summer traffic). It stopped charging and after a few bumps to get it going again the bike finally gave up the ghost in a bus lane on the Euston Road.

Honda replaced the stator free of charge, despite the bike being 7 years old at the time and it's been 100% electrically fine ever since. Currently on 92k miles!

Never heard of that recall before. I thought part of the dissatisfaction with Honda was that they never issued a recall for the CBF despite well documented evidence that the stators ALWAYS fail eventually.

However if a CBF has had the stator replaced with the updated part it should last the lifetime of the bike.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireclown wrote:
Wouldn't the Bandit 1200/1250 a bit big for my 5'8'' frame?

Oh dear, Que Paddy.......

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireclown wrote:

Great bike......[Oh chickenstrip....He'll tell you about them in detail should you require....or should you not....just the fact somebody has typed FZ1 has sent an alert]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:30 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Fireclown wrote:
Wouldn't the Bandit 1200/1250 a bit big for my 5'8'' frame?

Oh dear, Que Paddy.......

Not sure of the point being made but I'm sure it's a good one ....
I'm only questioning the size after watching a youtube vid where it's suggested it's suitable for taller riders only. Other than that I'm liking the idea of the 1250.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:34 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Fireclown wrote:

Great bike......[Oh chickenstrip....He'll tell you about them in detail should you require....or should you not....just the fact somebody has typed FZ1 has sent an alert]

Cheers. I'll keep a look out.
Enjoyed the music btw Wink

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:50 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You enjoyed the music...i must try harder to alienate myself.

Cheers for listening. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:58 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update. I've got a buyer for my CB500 (sad face) and my search for a replacement looks to be coming down to a straight fight between the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer and Susuki GSF1200/1250 Bandit. I'm going to go up to around £2300 and I'm going to start looking for test-ride opportunities asap.

This is your chance people - if you want it - to turn me onto or off one or the other. Is the 1250 worth the extra over a sorted 1200? Does the all-round ability of the Fazer make it a better choice? Remember I'm using this mostly for commuting (mostly a pretty decent A road but also a little bit of the city) and the odd excursion.

There are outsiders that could force their way into the mix - Honda CBF 1000, Yamaha XJR 1300, Suzuki SV1000.
What would be your choice?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose the GSF1250SA with the full luggage if you can get it. You can always take the luggage off if you don't need it.

The Fazer is probably the better bike but for VFM, the full dress Suzuki is brilliant.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireclown wrote:
An update. I've got a buyer for my CB500 (sad face) and my search for a replacement looks to be coming down to a straight fight between the Yamaha FZS1000 Fazer and Susuki GSF1200/1250 Bandit. I'm going to go up to around £2300 and I'm going to start looking for test-ride opportunities asap.

This is your chance people - if you want it - to turn me onto or off one or the other. Is the 1250 worth the extra over a sorted 1200? Does the all-round ability of the Fazer make it a better choice? Remember I'm using this mostly for commuting (mostly a pretty decent A road but also a little bit of the city) and the odd excursion.

There are outsiders that could force their way into the mix - Honda CBF 1000, Yamaha XJR 1300, Suzuki SV1000.

Sv1000 is in budget, I had an sv1000s, I paid £1900 for it, 13k on the clock, 2004, this time last year. Brilliant bikes, similar bhp to a 600 sport bike, but torquey with a linear power delivery. Sound fantastic too. My brother had it off me, he's put some decent sounding cans on it and it sounds rediculously good.

I had a zrx1200R, which I suppose would be similar to the xjr1300, twin rear shock etc, they are heavy in comparison and don't handle nearly as well.

Never ridden a bandit 1200 but they are supposed to be great value, I have a magazine here somewhere, practical sportbikes, it has a bandit 1200 article. I'll photo it in a minute if you like?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

XJR1300.
You don't have to pin it everywhere, plenty of torque, you can be lazy with the gears. It hides it's weight surprisingly well, and it's got some presence. Motor is plenty strong, spares available if needed. Brakes are hella good. I *think* they're R1 Blue spot's?

The Yam will likely be quite a bit cheaper than anything other than the Bandit.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:09 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
Fireclown wrote:

Sv1000 is in budget, I had an sv1000s, I paid £1900 for it, 13k on the clock, 2004, this time last year. Brilliant bikes, similar bhp to a 600 sport bike, but torquey with a linear power delivery. Sound fantastic too. My brother had it off me, he's put some decent sounding cans on it and it sounds rediculously good.

I had a zrx1200R, which I suppose would be similar to the xjr1300, twin rear shock etc, they are heavy in comparison and don't handle nearly as well.

Never ridden a bandit 1200 but they are supposed to be great value, I have a magazine here somewhere, practical sportbikes, it has a bandit 1200 article. I'll photo it in a minute if you like?

That would be great if it's not too much trouble. Cheers!

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:05 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
XJR1300.
You don't have to pin it everywhere, plenty of torque, you can be lazy with the gears. It hides it's weight surprisingly well, and it's got some presence. Motor is plenty strong, spares available if needed. Brakes are hella good. I *think* they're R1 Blue spot's?

The Yam will likely be quite a bit cheaper than anything other than the Bandit.

I have to say, there is definitely something about the XJR. Having never ridden one it has to be looks, presence, what I've read and what I've watched. If i can get a test ride on one I'll be jumping at the chance.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3