Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just blame Russia...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:34 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a good idea not to rely on Russian gas supplies, since they're known to cut them off when they don't get their way with someone.

Many people seem to use the things that one group/country/alliance has done wrong, or been caught out with, to deny other situations or occurrences attributed to the opposing side. I struggle to understand the logic of that. It is perfectly possible that more than one side can be up to no good. As an example, many German soldiers captured during fighting in western Europe in WW2 warned of the Russian threat, and said we should be joining them to oppose it. Of course, Uncle Joe was our staunch ally and Hitler was a monster, so how could that be true?

It is as easy to deny that man ever set foot on the moon, and some here have actually espoused that theory. For me, you get to a point where the evidence, even anecdotal, builds to such a level such that it would seem churlish to deny something. In my view, and that of many thousands of others, including many who are well placed to know much more, Russia is playing a game against the west every bit as much as the west may be manoeuvring to secure it's own interests around the world. I worry about Russia (as much as I worry about anything these days Smile ) because of the backgrounds, history and connections of those currently running it, among much else.

My problem is that I'm a bit of a patriot, despite the failings of some of our politicians. If we went to war with Russia, and I was asked to do my bit by one side or the other, I'd throw in my lot with the UK. Some of you must be wondering at what point it will be time to buy that one-way air ticket to Moscow.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

We're supposed to believe Russia spent over 5 years plotting to assassinate 2 Russian citizens

You'd be surprised to learn of the time and resources the KGB put into such things during the Soviet era. Stalin was more obsessed about getting at Trotsky than he was about any threat from Germany, even after Germany invaded Russia. But of course, Russians who worked for the most powerful organisation in the state, which built its whole ideology on Stalinist practices, have not been influenced in their thinking one jot by that experience. Putin and many of his buddies are ex-KGB. Putin himself has said, "there's no such thing as an ex-KGB man." But as I said before, that is, of course, meaningless.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:28 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Might be a good idea not to rely on Russian gas supplies, since they're known to cut them off when they don't get their way with someone.

You mean like expecting countries to pre-pay for the gas they buy from them?

What bastards eh? Rolling Eyes

FTFY.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I bet they didn't fuck up and allow them to make a full recovery after 5 years of planning though eh? Wink

Twice, with some targets Wink

Quote:
Lucky it happened only 6 miles from the only place in the UK equipped to deal with nerve agents. What are the chances of that? Talk about lucky.

Was Litvinenko targeted within 6 miles of Aldermaston? If the UK had wanted to do this, would the proximity of such an establishment really matter? Perfectly logical to accept that this is evidence though, right?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trusting the BBC now, are we? Laughing

The trouble is, when Russia cut off Ukraine's gas supply, it also massively reduced the flow to other European countries, which it must have known would happen. These countries weren't consulted beforehand. That's why it is better for Europe to have more than one source of supply generally. Gas from Gazprom is dependent on Russian political, as well as commercial factors. That is a risk it would be wise to mitigate against in my view, especially in the current political climate, but generally anyway.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
And you think I'm the one believing crazy theories?

Indeed! You seem to be open to a whole range of theories as long as they absolve Putin. I'm waiting for you to suggest the hospital did it to highlight NHS funding issues.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

The trouble is, when Russia cut off Ukraine's gas supply, it also massively reduced the flow to other European countries, which it must have known would happen. These countries weren't consulted beforehand. That's why it is better for Europe to have more than one source of supply generally. Gas from Gazprom is dependent on Russian political, as well as commercial factors. That is a risk it would be wise to mitigate against in my view, especially in the current political climate, but generally anyway.

The thing is though the Western world has depleted gas and oil reserves and needs to import gas and oil.

Why? Well in the 1970s and 1980s the Western world pumped it as fast as possible to flood the markets and therefore undermine the USSR economy which was highly dependent on oil and gas exports.

Hell we even saw a James Bond film about it where he travels through a USSR gas pipe.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

The thing is though the Western world has depleted gas and oil reserves and needs to import gas and oil.

Why? Well in the 1970s and 1980s the Western world pumped it as fast as possible to flood the markets and therefore undermine the USSR economy which was highly dependent on oil and gas exports.

Hell we even saw a James Bond film about it where he travels through a USSR gas pipe.

I don't think I'm quite with you there, sorry. Are you saying that Europe should not diversify its gas supply sources?
And please leave the James Bond comments out of this Laughing

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I don't think I'm quite with you there, sorry. Are you saying that Europe should not diversify its gas supply sources?
And please leave the James Bond comments out of this Laughing

Merely that European governments should have thought about the consequences of their actions.

Ah lets pump all this oil and gas... meaning we don't have any so we have to rely on a potential enemy!!!

Ah lets put in place a dictator (quite a few of them) who brutalises his people! Nothing can ever go wrong with this!!!

Ah lets arm the moderate rebels in Afghanistan!/Syria Nothing negative will EVER come from this.

So the diversification is now lets bomb Syria depose the president and build a gas pipe line over it. There will be absolutely NO negative consequences right?

If by diversification without bombing, invading say putting solar panels on roof tops then sure.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

So the diversification is now lets bomb Syria depose the president and build a gas pipe line over it. There will be absolutely NO negative consequences right?

I did wonder why we were involved with that country. Never realised it was all about getting a gas pipeline established to Europe. I must say, it's very nice of the USA to help us with this goal! Cheers for enlightening me Laughing
Although I'm sure I've read about other potential options under consideration, but I must be mistaken.

Quote:
putting solar panels on roof tops then sure.

Well, China is hardly an example of introducing solar power, or generally in a position to preach about clean energy, is it? (I take it you're speaking with your "I'm Chinese and we're great" head on there?). Although, thank you for help with our nuclear energy supply Thumbs Up But you really ought to be cracking on with that for yourselves too - 70% reliability on coal is going to take you some time to escape from, and I would say that with the way you are poisoning your citizens with those famous smogs, it makes it rather more urgent than current efforts are likely to achieve Laughing

Not to mention, I think it is already pretty accepted that solar energy is not anywhere near sufficient to replace fossil fuels, and is not foreseen to be for.....well, ever.

So for now, yes, I think diversifying supplies of oil and gas should be at least near the top of the energy agenda for Europe. Not much choice really, considering the expense of massively expanding nuclear power generation capability. Although anyone who hasn't noticed that at least some progress has been made with clean alternatives, must be (selectively) blind. It's not like no one is thinking about it.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Was Litvinenko targeted within 6 miles of Aldermaston? If the UK had wanted to do this, would the proximity of such an establishment really matter? Perfectly logical to accept that this is evidence though, right?

Was it proven that Litvinenko was poisoned by Russians?

Like I have stated before, $50m to kill someone is lolsome.

Even entertaining the idea is. To me at least.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
!

Ah lets put in place a dictator (quite a few of them) who brutalises his people! Nothing can ever go wrong with this!!!

https://thediplomat.com/2011/09/chinas-dictator-complex/

Whistle

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Was it proven that Litvinenko was poisoned by Russians?

Like I have stated before, $50m to kill someone is lolsome.

Even entertaining the idea is. To me at least.

Proved beyond a reasonable doubt I'd say. The stuff was found all over the place - wherever Lugovoi went, Polonium 210 went too Laughing He sprinkled it around with carefree abandon - poured it down hotel sinks, wiped it up with towels...

And it apparently took him an embarrassing return to Moscow to get more after he botched the first attempt. But you know all this having looked into it to support your view, yes?

So clearly someone didn't find the expense a problem. Who else might it have been? Bearing in mind Lugovoi is so closely connected with the trail. Inextricably connected, in fact.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Proved beyond a reasonable doubt I'd say. The stuff was found all over the place - wherever Lugovoi went, Polonium 210 went too Laughing He sprinkled it around with carefree abandon - poured it down hotel sinks, wiped it up with towels...

And it apparently took him an embarrassing return to Moscow to get more after he botched the first attempt. But you know all this having looked into it to support your view, yes?

So clearly someone didn't find the expense a problem. Who else might it have been? Bearing in mind Lugovoi is so closely connected with the trail. Inextricably connected, in fact.

You just seem to be regurgitating western splurge.
Again.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

The refusal to send Russia a sample, made this pretty much self-evident to me.

Still, we should always think the worst of those pesky Russians, they obviously sourced it from outside Russia.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:26 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:
Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right",[3] anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic,[4][5] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views

Why am I not surprised that you would use such a source? Laughing
Honestly, I really think there is no point in any of us quoting sources to uphold our arguments on this topic.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/no-swiss-lab-hasnt-cast-12367077

See what I mean? Laughing

Pjay wrote:
The refusal to send Russia a sample, made this pretty much self-evident to me.

Sorry, explain to me what this would have achieved again? I must have forgotten your previous explanation when I posed this question before.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You just seem to be regurgitating western splurge.
Again.

What are your sources for saying Litvinenko wasn't killed by the Russians?
I'm sorry, but just repeating over and over that I appear to be "regurgitating western splurge" isn't going to change my opinions. You'll need to show me something a bit more convincing if you want me to change my mind.
The investigation into Litvinenko's death was carried out by Scotland Yard. Give me your reasons why I should trust you before them if you like.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Nice dodge.

Just responding in kind.
What was your answer to my question about Putin's statements again? My memory is getting terrible! Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 10 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 16 of 35