Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just blame Russia...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

You mentioned Boris Johnson before. He's a shining example of everything, and I mean everything, that is wrong with British politics right now. He's a court jester, the

Last year was it? Boris did this stunt on a zipline. Helmet, safety line etc waiving two flags. It was about 2 metres off the ground.

OTOH you've got Putin doing Judo, riding motorbikes/horses.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

No, more simple than that. Just watching him talk in TV appearances is enough to tell me has more about him than most of our folk.

This isn't saying he's a good or bad person. Just that he has a brain in his head and thinks like a sensible adult, while most of ours don't.

I think the problems with Putin arise from his motivations. I don't see a person who has Russia at heart, as many seem to, except when it suits his own personal agenda. Someone who had the Russian people at heart wouldn't have built up a personal fortune of, what is it, something like $40 billion? at their expense.

And I guess it depends on what you mean by human. I get a picture of someone totally without empathy for others. Cold, hard, self-aggrandising. John Gotti came across as human, but that didn't make him any less a ruthless, murdering bastard. I'm not sure head of state of a powerful, nuclear power is a safe place for such a character.

Quote:
You mentioned Boris Johnson before. He's a shining example of everything, and I mean everything, that is wrong with British politics right now. He's a court jester, the public see him as a bit of light entertainment because of his novel character, but actually he's one of our top politicians. He would be an abject failure in any sensible political system. Yet somehow he manages to stay around right at the top. How? Bullingdon club effect I suppose - he's in his rightful place for somebody of his kind. The British class system at its most obvious. It's madness. But that's another rant entirely...

A counter to the above could be Diane Abbott, I suppose. But that's another rant too Very Happy

I'm inclined to agree with that Laughing
But my point is, you ask for less grey, then don't like what you get. A lot of people who know him actually seem to think Johnson is a very intelligent chap, despite his gaffs. Though God only knows why anyone thought the Foreign Office was the place for him! I tend to lump Trump in the same category. People like this add to the dangers of today's world imo. But if we had someone more like Putin, I'm sure you and I would find plenty to complain about still...were we allowed to!

I think part of the reason Putin can come across as more sensible is that he can't be examined closely by those in his country who oppose his methods. If he was regularly questioned on policy and methods by a free media, I think it would be a different story.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:16 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

You mentioned Boris Johnson before. He's a shining example of everything, and I mean everything, that is wrong with British politics right now. He's a court jester, the

Last year was it? Boris did this stunt on a zipline. Helmet, safety line etc waiving two flags. It was about 2 metres off the ground.

I like it when my politicians keep their clothes on Folded arms

https://garyconklinglifenotes.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/shirtless-in-siberia.jpg

It's funny how you're falling for his all-action hero propaganda though Very Happy

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Well, as long as that's all it takes to keep you happy with your politicians.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...also invalid Trike...

https://www.visordown.com/sites/default/files/field/image/56943.jpg

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:26 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

It's funny how you're falling for his all-action hero propaganda though Very Happy

Sure but the goody two shoes greasy lawyer type of other politicians is a pretty well worn archetype.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I think you've done it again. You're asking for one thing from UK government and then criticising it when it happens.

What do you think I'm asking for and what do you think I'm criticising?

I think you'd like the UK leadership to have Putin's character, yet when it's necessary to show that the UK won't stand for an obvious Russian attack on British soil and the UK doesn't hold back you don't like it. If the shoe was on the other foot I can't see Putin saying, "Well I don't really know."

Lord Percy wrote:
Done what again? Seems you're trying to use loaded terms to make me look like an imbecile. Is it really so hard to grasp the point that half the British political system come across as spineless bores?

Easy Tiger. Rolling Eyes

Chickenstrip wrote:
I think part of the reason Putin can come across as more sensible is that he can't be examined closely by those in his country who oppose his methods. If he was regularly questioned on policy and methods by a free media, I think it would be a different story.

Thumbs Up

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:35 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

it's necessary to show that the UK won't stand for an obvious Russian attack on British soil "

Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:41 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

What would you call not bothering to consult Parliament? She wasn't the PM during the previous 2 votes on military action in Syria.

I call it doubly spineless. There's obviously so much more to it than meets the eye.

According to the stories being fed to the public, there isn't even supposed to be a link between the Skripal story and the extremely sudden decision to start bombing Syria.

So WTF's going? There's nothing tough or ballsy about what she's doing. It's shady as fuck, the exact opposite of an inspirational or hardball politician.

If she'd said outright, "We're going into a proxy war with Russia, let's do this," she would immediately have shown backbone and character. Instead we're left to merely assume she's doing the right (or wrong) thing, with people jumping to idiotic conclusions like this:

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
the UK won't stand for an obvious Russian attack on British soil

about their dear leader.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:05 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
M.C wrote:

What would you call not bothering to consult Parliament? She wasn't the PM during the previous 2 votes on military action in Syria.

I call it doubly spineless. There's obviously so much more to it than meets the eye.

According to the stories being fed to the public, there isn't even supposed to be a link between the Skripal story and the extremely sudden decision to start bombing Syria.

So WTF's going? There's nothing tough or ballsy about what she's doing. It's shady as fuck, the exact opposite of an inspirational or hardball politician.

If she'd said outright, "We're going into a proxy war with Russia, let's do this," she would immediately have shown backbone and character. Instead we're left to merely assume she's doing the right (or wrong) thing, with people jumping to idiotic conclusions like this:

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

about their dear leader.

As I said before it isn't the first time they're tried to give Assad a slap for allegedly using chemical weapons, the only difference is we've joined in dropping a few bombs, which I don't see the need to create a false flag attack for.

The US and Russia wouldn't be telling each-other what they're doing if they really wanted a proxy war. The only possible link with Skripal is if you believe the theory that Russia was (partly) testing the waters to see how isolated the UK post-brexit etc.. I don't really, they've offed people on UK soil before.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

And let's not be forgetting those fields of wheat the PM admitted to running through.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Itchy wrote:

And let's not be forgetting those fields of wheat the PM admitted to running through.

Well, there you have it; that's why people just blame Russia! Confused

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

about their dear leader.

So in response to the Skripals the UK should either have carried on as if nothing had happened, or declared war on Russia? You see why I'm not sure what you expect.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:22 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Scientist who developed Novichok poison used in Salisbury is run over and seriously injured near his home – days after he suggested Russia was behind nerve agent attack"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5655125/Scientist-developed-Novichok-poison-used-Salisbury-run-car.html

The timing is very coincidental and not at all suspicious. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
"Scientist who developed Novichok poison used in Salisbury is run over and seriously injured near his home – days after he suggested Russia was behind nerve agent attack"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5655125/Scientist-developed-Novichok-poison-used-Salisbury-run-car.html

The timing is very coincidental and not at all suspicious. Laughing

Tut Tut If they'd wanted him dead, they'd have shot him, cos that's how they always do it. I'm told. Or at least, he'd be dead.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:12 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I say, it's very coincidental and not at all suspicious. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope we have a good supply of tinfoil, we're gonna need it for bnp72's hats once we #Brexit.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Now which organisation or secret service, could be so inept as to not kill any of the intended assassination targets? Sounds like a job Johny English would be proud of. Maybe budget cuts have hit MI6 too?

Precedent?

Monkeywrenche...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:38 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/952785/russia-news-novichok-centre-demolished-salisbury-spy-poison

Nothing to see here... move along
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The town intends to register "Novichok" as a trademark for locally-manufactured household chemicals,

Cillit Bang's Barry Scott has been found dead.

Coincidence?

(Relax people, it's a joke.)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Cillit Bang's Barry Scott has been found dead.

Coincidence?

(Relax people, it's a joke.)

I think they made Mr. Muscle products, because I've noted the reduction in their effectiveness in cleaning over the last few years, hence why the Skripal's survived Wink

Quote:
The town intends to register "Novichok" as a trademark for locally-manufactured household chemicals,

Presumably, Shikhany will then no longer need to be a "closed town"? Which apparently became it's status in 1997, long after the end of the Cold War Confused

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:40 - 04 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russians are back? Shocked

Amesbury: Two collapse near Russian spy poisoning site

A man and woman are in a critical condition after being exposed to an unknown substance, which counter terrorism officers are investigating.

The pair, in their 40s, were found unconscious in a suspected drugs-related incident at a house in Amesbury, Wiltshire, on Saturday.

It is understood tests are being carried out on the substance at a government chemical weapons laboratory.

Amesbury is about eight miles from the Salisbury Russian spy poisoning site.

Former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia were poisoned with Novichok, a suspected military nerve agent, in March.

The substance Novichok was identified by the defence research facility at Porton Down which is understood to be carrying out tests on the latest substance.

The government's emergency committee, Cobra, has met in the Cabinet Office at an official level to discuss the events in Amesbury, which is being "treated with the utmost seriousness".

A further meeting of the committee will be held on Wednesday evening to hear updates on the situation, Downing Street said.

The Met said counter terrorism officers are now working with Wiltshire Police "given the recent events in Salisbury".

Wiltshire Police said it is "open-minded" about the cause after a couple were found at the house in Muggleton Road, Amesbury.

While it was not clear whether a crime had been committed, the force said, a number of places in Amesbury and Salisbury known to have been frequented by the couple had been cordoned off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-44707052
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 25 of 35