Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Just blame Russia...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I see the Salisbury event has now disappeared off the face of the earth, buried under a historic dead donkey, aka the historic windrush government scandal. Oh look Syria seems to have fixed itself too. Not a sniff of either story in the news anymore, well at least not on Al Beeb or any of the radio broadcasts I've heard.

You could always watch RT news. Should be right up your street.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look, top story on the latest new page on the bbc

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43833582

Must be a cover up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

So let me get this straight...According to a "government agent", the suspected, probably, allegedly nerve agent which didn't even work on it's intended target, degrades when in the open air, yet weeks later, it's still present and areas of the town are going to be out of bounds for decontamination for months?

I get the feeling we're being fed a lie here.

Can you even read?

the bbc article wrote:
The nerve agent does not evaporate or disappear over time, experts have said, and intense cleaning with caustic chemicals is required to get rid of it.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the uses for nerve agents such as VX, besides killing lots of people horribly is area denial.

Precisely because they dont evaporate; and are such a bitch to get rid off

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/the-five-most-deadly-chemical-weapons-war-10897

Quote:
Developed in the UK in the early 1950s, VX is particularly potent because it’s a persistent agent: Once it’s released into the atmosphere it’s slow to evaporate. Under regular weather conditions, VX can persist for days on surfaces, while it can last for months in very cold conditions. “VX vapor is heavier than air,” which means that when released, “it will sink to low-lying areas and create a greater exposure hazard there.” Such characteristics make VX potentially useful as an area-denial weapon.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:18 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
What bullshit will I come out with next?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:52 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Quote:
The statement from the OPCW does not specifically name the substance, but it says technical experts confirmed the findings of the UK “relating to the identity of the toxic chemical that was used in Salisbury and severely injured three people.”

It's easy to play with words. The UK has specifically said Novichok.

Some of the side reports in people's links here confirm what I said earlier though, that the decision by so many countries to expel Russian 'diplomats' was based on far more than just the Skripal case. They felt the Salisbury incident didn't need to be proved - they were headed that way anyway. Why do you think that is?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Come on, think for a minute.

Exactly this.
You can base the accusation on precedent as much as anything else. You can base it on all the other things Russia is accused of by many nations and individuals. They base their accusations on evidence gathered by their many intelligence services and investigations by police and other bodies. So the evidence of Russia being guilty in the Salisbury case just adds to all of this, proven outright or not. That's why people blame Russia.

In my mind, with Putin and certain other individuals at its head, Russia is effectively a KGB-run state, quite likely with many criminal connections. I would need much more than the proof one way or the other in the Salisbury case to think otherwise, including a sea-change in the rhetoric coming from the Kremlin.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask you again the for the third time, what do you call soild.

What proof whould you loke to see?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

No, Boris and May have said Novichok. Why won't the OPCW not name it specifically?

The research facility at Porton Down have said Novichok. The OPCW says it has confirmed the findings of the UK facility.

Quote:
That's cleverly worded, so they can't be held accountable if it's ever revealed it wasn't the "no chance of survival" nerve agent, they both survived.

You forget that there is the released version of the OPCW statement, and a classified version, which we haven't seen. I doubt that one contradicts the other on the salient point. You are quite right to point out that the OPCW have not blamed Russia. It isn't their job to decide who actually carried out the attack, merely to confirm the agent used, which they have done. But the OPCW have enough reason to be embarrassed on what they have said publicly, if found to be wrong about the agent used.

The survival of the Skripals (thus far; people have been poisoned by nerve agents, made partial recoveries, only to die of their effects in the longer term) has been explained elsewhere.
But even Russia doesn't deny that at least a proportion of the agent used is what it is being claimed to be. Well, sometimes they don't, sometimes they say something completely contradictory - classic KGB-style tactic.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

How about the OPCW actually naming the nerve agent and specifying the source as Russia, which we were told was easy to do as they all have a chemical signature?
In fact, how about any proof that Russia actually did commit this?

You want the OPCW to say "Novichok"? But the Russians say they never gave such agents that name officially. That's just semantics though.

Also, addressing an earlier point:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/18/opcw-rejects-russian-claims-of-second-salisbury-nerve-agent

Which further points to the Russian disinformation campaign on the subject, their usual tactic. After all the years that first the Soviets, and now their direct successors have been using such, I can't believe anyone is still taken in by it.

Also worth pointing out this, in the statements given by OPCW officials:

Quote:
In his presentation, the UK OPCW envoy pointed out that the OPCW noted that the chemical was of high purity, indicating that the chemical was not volatile and would degrade slowly. “All this is cause for grave concern as we now face a clear case of a new family of toxic chemicals intended to kill,” he said.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
More western propaganda, I'll only believe it when its confirmed by an independent russian laboratory, and putin confesses live on RT news in person

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:18 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the BBC, government sources, etc etc...

Saw a Sky News interview with a bloke yesterday who used to work for some sort of government department with very close links to the middle-east stuff. Can't remember exactly but he knew his stuff.

The news presenter was trying her hardest to make him look bad after he dared to show scepticism about the whole Skripal/Russia/Syria thing. Her point was pretty much the same as we're seeing in this thread: "Well the government said so, and it isn't that easy to fake stuff in such a complex state-sized machine, and the news are saying so, AND a huge amount of international allies are on our side, therefore it must be true."

His counterargument was that he was in the thick of it when his department were told the nation was about to go to war with Iraq. They were told reliably about weapons of mass destruction, the news parroted the same story, and half of NATO followed along quite gladly with a full invasion and outright desecration of Iraq. Later it turned out to be bollocks. So he quite rightly is not at all willing to go so eagerly along with things this time around.

Now what was that about all of this very real evidence presented by experts and government representatives from across the UK with backing from our allies and neighbours?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Iraq, therefore everything western governments say is necessarily lies

Laziness, is what that is.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about a place called Salisbury but I've never been there, so I'm in denial and lumping it in with Atlantis and Shangri-La. Can't fool me. I've never met the Skripal's either so... gosh, this is easy! Where will it end?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both really don't get it do you.

The Iraq invasion was huge and ruined an entire nation, and it was based entirely on lies. Now we have a repeat of the same - dubious claims, pushing hostility for no reason, then a sudden attack on a country that nobody really wanted or even cared about.

I'm amazed at how easily this is going over your heads.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:
Iraq, therefore everything western governments say is necessarily lies

Laziness, is what that is.

And why are you constantly treating the whole discussion as if it's a simple case of black and white?

Iraq war happened, therefore don't trust the shit the establishment spoonfeeds us. Not a hard concept, is it?

I also note the loaded use of the term 'western' governments, suggesting I'm some kind of commie traitor for daring to question the obviously bullshit narrative being pushed. Laughing

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hangonamo, hasn't Donk complained about people not being sure and pointing the finger?

mpd72 wrote:

Although Russia developed them originally, it’s likely that several countries have also made small samples of Novichok – or at least know how to.

Lulzathon. No wonder your wife ran off with a foreigner.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 1 day ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 20 of 35