Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does premium fuel do anything?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:24 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Does premium fuel do anything? Reply with quote

Every so often i will top the tank with a bit of premium, only 5 or so litres every month or two. does it actually do anything or give any kind of cleaning effect or anything?

I know the higher octane and that is supposed to give more power and efficiency and whatever else they claim but in you guy's experience is it with a few pence more?

Just for the record, i'm on a Chinese 125 so its not performance i'm that interested in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:25 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes you feel better about yourself, that you're lavishing such care on your engine by spending that little more because some company said it's better for your engine.

It makes that company feel better about themselves too.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premium on a 125? You'll make a more noticeable difference having a big shit before you ride it in the morning. Local garage, cheapest green pump, done.

Shell, Morrisons and Sainsbury's will want you to remove your lid before they bother turning the pump on.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:27 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Does premium fuel do anything? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Just for the record, i'm on a Chinese 125 so its not performance i'm that interested in?

What then? Longevity?
Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:44 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes you faster because your wallet will be lighter. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:44 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Does premium fuel do anything? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
I know the higher octane and that is supposed to give more power and efficiency

If you have fuel injection, variable ignition timing and a knock sensor.

Does your Lexmoto have fuel injection, variable ignition timing and a knock sensor?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Does premium fuel do anything? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Every so often i will top the tank with a bit of premium, ?

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but isn’t it supposed to be a touch cleaner? = should be better for your injector nozzle/valves? Possibly maybe? Allegedly? I think.
Less carbon deposits in the engine = happier engine that should in theory last longer??? Even in a Chinese 125.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:46 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knocked up a diagram to help people. Super IS supposed to have a few more detergents and the like in it, but I've never seen a difference. If you granny your bike and it's all coked up, it might make a small difference but you'd be better off running some Redex through it every now and again.

If you're getting better fuel consumption from Super, and it's enough to justify the cost, then run some redex through the bike. I personally don't believe this, I've had close to 30 bikes since passing my test, and 8 petrol cars and I've never seen a problem that has been solved by super. But then, I don't granny my vehicles, so maybe that has more to do with it? The only vehicle it made a noticeable difference on was my tuned Subaru which did go better after you'd run a couple of tanks of Super through it. Problem is it cost 1.50 a litre at the time, and it lost performance if you ran it on regular. That car cost a bomb to run!

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/superunleaded.jpg
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put 100ron in the zzr14 whilst over the water ..
.. un be known at the time it had an injector miss fire...
it did run smoother..
cannot say it was any quicker or not..

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Does premium fuel do anything? Reply with quote

Bogeyman wrote:

You don't know what you're talking about.

from you that's more than a bit rich you cack handed sock account moron.

Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:38 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

More relevant for the back end of the year but if you lay your bike up for the winter a 'non ethanol' fuel will take on less moisture from the air. It could be worth filling your tank with ethanol free super before parking it up. Ethanol can also rot fuel lines. I have had issues with this on my Caterham that R9 (supposedly ethanol safe) fuel line failed to protect against.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can definately be relevant for preventing predetonation if you have tuned your engine by increasing compression ratio and/or ignition advance.

Also, as above, some small bikes get enough extra mileage from it that the extra cost works out to be worth it. I used to bung super in my H100 because it did significantly more mpg and because I was thrashing the knackers off the poor wee thing everywhere at max revs.

My current project may well need to run on super, depending on how it all works out. It would almost certainly be better if I run on it even if not absolutely essential.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:19 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it in my CBF125 once as the other pumps were out of order. It took a second longer to start every time. New tank of normal unleaded and everything was back to normal.

So, no don't bother

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy the premium just for the additives, you do realise you may buy those additives in a small bottle and mix it yourself, right? It sure is far cheaper (the long run) than paying the extra at the petrol station. The centralised fuel distributors in the EU only have 95 octane petrol, which then is mixed with additives to get what customers (petrol stations) want = higher octane number, cleaning properties, ''arctic diesel'', even ''fighting'' the ethanol in the fuel...

I used some cleaning additives in my GPz550 for a brief period of time and it did make a noticeable difference to the idle, it just cleaned the jets, maybe diluted the carbon deposits in the head and combustion chambers.

Higher MPG with additives/premium? Yes, it does give you better mileage. But, looking at the price difference (CZE), it's not worth it, definitely not in a car with 60+L tank, where the range per tank isn't really an issue. On motorcycles, maybe.

Performance benefits may vary.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:34 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Does premium fuel do anything? Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
adengtg wrote:
Every so often i will top the tank with a bit of premium, ?

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but isn’t it supposed to be a touch cleaner? = should be better for your injector nozzle/valves? Possibly maybe? Allegedly? I think.
Less carbon deposits in the engine = happier engine that should in theory last longer??? Even in a Chinese 125.

exactly the kind of thing i was thinking, kine is carb'ed though.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:36 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ThatDippyTwat"

Shell, Morrisons and Sainsbury's will want you to remove your lid before they bother turning the pump on.[/quote]

not necessarily, the only one that made me remove ym lid was a random unbranded garage somewhere near doncaster. the Morrisons and BP near me are fine about it, mine can open face anyways.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:37 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

garybee wrote:
More relevant for the back end of the year but if you lay your bike up for the winter a 'non ethanol' fuel will take on less moisture from the air. It could be worth filling your tank with ethanol free super before parking it up. Ethanol can also rot fuel lines. I have had issues with this on my Caterham that R9 (supposedly ethanol safe) fuel line failed to protect against.

I ride though winter, almost every day if i can so its never really sat for a long time

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:59 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, wouldn't ever bother.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock sensor will let you use any extra power.
If you have a knock sensor.

I use it because I can. Cool

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it all the time the diffrence in price on a bike tank is minimal
I'd rather not put that ethanol shit in my tank can't say Ive noticed any difference in performance or mpg though Confused

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it where possible, because

A) Ethanol ruins everything it touches

B) My YR5 will likely nibble piston crowns on standard pump fuel because the squish is very agressive (or it should be, needs checking again).

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Can definately be relevant for preventing predetonation if you have tuned your engine by increasing compression ratio and/or ignition advance.

Also, as above, some small bikes get enough extra mileage from it that the extra cost works out to be worth it. I used to bung super in my H100 because it did significantly more mpg and because I was thrashing the knackers off the poor wee thing everywhere at max revs.

My current project may well need to run on super, depending on how it all works out. It would almost certainly be better if I run on it even if not absolutely essential.

Is "predetonation" the love child of detonation and pre-ignition?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always felt like the bike had more torque on a 10bhp 125 using premium to me.

Tried the same thing with bigger bikes and noticed.....nothing.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3