BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Does premium fuel do anything?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddly old shitter of a cg125 used to go like LOADS faster on super unleaded ( well compared to the usual shit slow snail it was) yet non of the 4 fireblades liked it either carb or FI ....some really didnt like super. ...guess with points ignition you could tweak the timing a little to gain advantage but any non mapped jap bike is setup for running on any old crap and didnt like the slower burn

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:32 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of ways premium fuel can help:

1. Higher RON. This means increased resistance to preignition, which means that you can use an advanced ignition timing; this can give increased power/efficiency through having more of the expansion of the combustion phase happening after TDC. Engines with knock sensors and dynamic ignition mapping can actively hunt the optimum ignition timing, or you could manually adjust the timing for higher RON fuel (with the expectation that you then always have to use it). However, higher RON fuel can also benefit older engines if they have any combustion chamber deposits. These deposits can increase the compression ratio and act as a glow plug, both of which can lead to preignition, which the higher RON can mitigate.

2. Cleanliness. Premium fuels tend to also have higher dosages of detergents and other additives which help clean the fuel system. Fouled injectors give a sub-optimal spray pattern and dirty jets give poor carburation. These deposits can be avoided with better fuel, or even removed if you have previously used lesser fuels. Obviously better fuelling will give better combustion efficiency.

I work in this area. Not in fuels per se, but in the next door office of lubricants. I have a working knowledge of the fuels technology as it is related to what I do, plus I know the people, plus at last year’s Geneva motor show I stood on a stand of one of the fuel majors demonstrating the benefits of premium fuel to anyone who would listen (we have a car with a V8 engine, one bank ran on regular fuel, the other on super fuel, concurrently. We have endoscopes in the intakes, looking at the inlet valves and the visual difference in condition is remarkable).

So, the benefits vary depending on a number of factors. The better fuel will always be cleaner, and may also offer an additional ignition timing benefit. What this means to you in terms of value for money only you can decide. Worth mentioning that branded fuels will also tend to have some additives in their regular fuel too.

rcbikeracer
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:58 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, because plastic fuel tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:44 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that premium fuel does is burn a hole in your wallet... Laughing

To be serious, filling up with Premium fuel will not do any harm at all
and in most cases nothing noticeable performance wise. You will not
get an increase in MPG by using the good stuff but with the additives
the carbs/infectors will benefit.
MCN This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
All that premium fuel does is burn a hole in your wallet... Laughing

To be serious, filling up with Premium fuel will not do any harm at all
and in most cases nothing noticeable performance wise. You will not
get an increase in MPG by using the good stuff but with the additives
the carbs/infectors will benefit.

+2mpg on the ZZR14 usin 98ron & one fill of 100ron..

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Shell, Morrisons and Sainsbury's will want you to remove your lid before they bother turning the pump on.

This is because your bike looks like a pile of wank and you appear as a homeless pikey that will ride off without paying. In 70,000 miles I have never needed to remove my lid for petrol.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put super in the Swift, super in the Spacker, super in the scoot and regular diesel in the van but run
a tank of super through before its MOT each year.

My reasons? Well it may all be in my head but -

The Swift starts better from cold using super. I've had 43.9mpg average across 7k miles of super usage, mrs grr
never takes it above 4k when she drives it, it's rarely under 4k when I do.

The Spacker, well it's more anti social exhaust wise when it's running on super, more pops, bangs and fi-yaaaaar.

The scoot doesn't get used much at all but it seems to pull a bit better using super. I've had 70 displayed two up on that.
Not bad for a 125 scoot with 25k on the clock. It's also happier to start after a typically long layup.

The van gets it just before MOT because it seems to run a little smoother on that, I also have it valeted on MOT week,
I think if it all looks and sound up together and isn't filthy for the tester it's more likely to pass.

Last edited by grr666 on 09:33 - 11 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:22 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
I have never needed to remove my lid for petrol.

You are lucky, up until last year I had never removed my helmet to get fuel but last year had a couple of occasions where I've been refused service. So to save the mucking about I use self service pumps as much as possible. If I can't get to a station with self service I remove the helmet because I have a full face helmet.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

workmate reckons he has had 30 extra miles out of his tank on his wr125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:21 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I noticed an increase in MPG. It made the bike more peppy but I was going for the opposite.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It only really makes a difference in higher compression engines or ones running too hot that are prone to pre-ignition.

Saying that I'll put some in when the pump is out of normal fuel, I'll then feel good about it and imagine all the extra additives and extra HIGH OCTANE when in reality it doesn't make a difference to driving.

mrmistoffelee...
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car gets Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V Power (TFSI engine with remap seems to prefer Momentum) i generally get an extra 3-4mpg there's a slight performance increase (or maybe my head makes it up)

Bike just gets standard. might try Momentum 99 but more for the detergent side rather than anything else.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP does your bike have a map switch, (not a poxy riding modes switch) I mean two or more ignition maps? If not then that'll answer your question.

Mpg and engine cleanliness are very subjective and debatable too. I personally think adding stuff to fuel in the tank is better for the latter, as you can use much more concentrated doses, which is only every a one time deal really.

Once your injectors, back of your valves, and combustion chambers are clean, the additives in SUL or aftermarket additives can't clean anything further.

More mpg? Well that can only mean that your using less fuel for the same performance or are making the same performance for less throttle opening etc. If there was more midrange torque from advanced ignition mapping, the driver might be driving differently to normal and not noticing they are changing gear sooner or using less pedal travel etc.

It works the same way as some re-mapped cars get better mpg, because they can be driven less hard for the same performance, especially tuned TDI's etc.

I think engines should be built to suit the fuel your going to run, and not the other way round generally.

And ignition timing can only do so much too. If your four stroke low output motor runs 8:1 compression, then there's probably lots of scope to play with timing on the lowest grade fuels anyway.

Also bear in mind that some cars or bikes with knock sensors don't work both ways. For example on my car the knock sensor will look for det and if it detected more than a specified limit then it'll retard the ignition in closed loop mode and feedback. What it won't do is keep advancing past the pre programmed look up tables until det occurs, like some modern car ECU's will.

That's why some modern high compression and forced induction motors can make different power levels on different fuels.

Oh and with Japanese market import cars from the 90's alot of the Japanese domestic performance models had ECU's mapped at the factory to run the 100/102RON they have available there. Less power on 95 or even on 98RON in the UK is inevitable at best, and can destroy things spectacularly at worst.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Can't say I noticed an increase in MPG. It made the bike more peppy but I was going for the opposite.

I've been running super unleaded for the past couple of days, my bike is deffo more peppy. Only works on my CB250.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:29 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run premium fuels for a few reasons.

1, i ride a dorsoduro. Even 5% ethanol could warp my tank in short order.I do everything i can to avoid it and its only an extra 30p a tank..

2 i get an extra 11 miles from a tank. Dont sound like much ? My bikes lucky to get 90 miles between fuel stops so to me its an extra 10 mins riding before i need to find a petrol station.

3 My local station just replaced the tank they store premium in. Given the normal tank has been there a few decades i would bet there is all sorts of shit in any fuel stored in it.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:53 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
In 70,000 miles I have never needed to remove my lid for petrol.

Try 70,000 miles anywhere near London and get back to us.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Shell, Morrisons and Sainsbury's will want you to remove your lid before they bother turning the pump on.

This is because your bike looks like a pile of wank and you appear as a homeless pikey that will ride off without paying. In 70,000 miles I have never needed to remove my lid for petrol.

No. It's because they have policies about it. Blanket policies. Printed on the pumps. All bikes. Full stop. You can turn up in a Gucci suit on an MV Brutale 800RR with £50's falilng out of your pockets, and they'll still make you take your lid off before turning the pump on.

Now, my local garage, is fine, no matter what bike I turn up on or gear I have on.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:38 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No. It's because they have policies about it. Blanket policies. Printed on the pumps. All bikes. Full stop.

Not at my local Sainsbury's and Shell they don't Shhh! Texaco on the Albert Embankment can consistently fvck right off though Middle Finger

I'm not sure I have a Morrison's near me to check. Thought it was a Northern thing Thinking Anyway, I refuse to go there after seeing Richard Hammond's glazed dead eyes on their advert, trying to flog me some salmon Folded arms

My main concern is that Applegreen's (the cheapest unleaded I've ever bought in London) now want you to take your lid off maybe 50% of the time, which sucks in the winter. And it's all because of moped riders stealing fuel. Fvcking #bikelyf pieces of svit Evil or Very Mad

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 29 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tuned car runs almost twice the bhp and torque it left the factory with, it can run on unleaded, but shell v-power/nitro whatever it's called these days gives noticeable performance increase due to higher boost pressures available before knock.

It can be further enhanced by adding toluene or xylene, or even paint thinners to the fuel mix, some owners have tested 10% ratio. The ECU adjusts timing and boost fairly quickly to take full advantage.

On the carbed bike, standard fuel seems exactly the same as premium, therefore the cheapest fuel available goes in.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What car and engine is it, and does it run a factory ECU or an aftermarket one? My system like some Toyota and Other Japanese manufacturers ECU's is locked and unmappable and the knock sensor won't allow the ECU to start advancing on good fuel to look for knock.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No. It's because they have policies about it. Blanket policies. Printed on the pumps. All bikes. Full stop.

Not at my local Sainsbury's and Shell they don't Shhh! Texaco on the Albert Embankment can consistently fvck right off though Middle Finger :

Your local ones may not apply the policy, but it's there all right. Have a look at the crap they stick onto on the pump. It was rudely pointed out to me in Morrisons before I dropped the nozzle on the floor (As recommended on here) and fecked off somewhere less hostile. Seems to be there in a lot of places

Shell here is notorious among locals for being outright hostile to bikes. They assume anything on two wheels is going to bilk them. Sainbury's are just confusing - I think it depends on who's working there, but they do have that policy and it's selectively enforced and pointed out to a mate by a snotty teenager. I avoid it as I CBA with the hassle. I think *Tesco* have a policy as well, but the one here has a habit of putting the wrong go juice in the wrong tank, so I avoid that as well unless I'm desperate for fuel.

Round here, it's not the 'ped boi's, it's the chavvy knuckledragging cumgzzlers in stolen/cloned car's that have a habit of forgetting to pay.

Now, my local Texaco is spot-on and my first choice. No issues no matter what bike, lid or gear I have, nor any other bike I've ever seen. They have really good CCTV though, which might be something to do with recovery/convictions.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:28 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
It was rudely pointed out to me in Morrisons before I dropped the nozzle on the floor (As recommended on here) and fecked off somewhere less hostile.

Great advice Thumbs Up

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What car and engine is it, and does it run a factory ECU or an aftermarket one? My system like some Toyota and Other Japanese manufacturers ECU's is locked and unmappable and the knock sensor won't allow the ECU to start advancing on good fuel to look for knock.

SAAB B205E (Trionic 7 standard ECU, remapped) - it's a well known secret the easy tunability of SAAB's, the ECU was cracked wide open many years ago Twisted Evil Dance! Dance! Dance!
I'd have thunk Scooby's adjust well to higher octane.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Quoted from Shell's own leaftlet, suggest you throw it in their face next time:

Shell wrote:

WE KNOW THAT
YOUR MOTORCYCLE
IS YOUR PASSION,
AND YOUR SAFETY IS OURS

We have listened to your feedback
concerning the removal of your
motorcycle helmet when visiting our
forecourts. We understand that taking
off your helmet is an unnecessary
hindrance to your onward journey
and that’s why we’re making a promise
to only ask you to lift your visor when
filling up, or visiting our stores.
If on
the rare occasion our Customer Service
Champion asks you to remove your
crash helmet, it is because they feel
a need to verify that you are over the
age of 16, which is a legal requirement.

Linky...

https://motorcycleminds.org/documents/17012_SHELL_HELMET_POLICY_A4TRIFOLD_V8_JR.pdf Dance!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:49 - 30 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never taken my crash helmet off to buy petrol. I normally buy it in Sainsburys in Bristol
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3