Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seat Lock Suggestions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Seat Lock Suggestions Reply with quote

So the pins inside the barrel of my seat lock became seized in the retracted position rendering the lock effectively useless with the key. I've removed it after using an inspection camera and wire hook through a gap in the fairing which allowed me to hook onto and pull the cable to unlock the seat.

Anyway the lock barrel is shot (tried plusgas, hear, etc.) and a new one is £60+vat. It's located in a prime place to be filled with crap and salt so it's always been a challenge to keep it free in winter despite regular cleaning and lubrication (the lock not the rest of the mechanism). I'm therefore reluctant to replace it. For the moment I've hooked a cable tie around the cable which runs through the gap in the fairing to allow itmto operate the mechanism.

This works well so rather than putting in a new lock (which would mean another key as well) is rather rig up a more permanent version of the cable tie. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might rig up nicely to the cable? It can run straight out of the fairing gap or at a 90deg angle through the old lock barrel hole.

It's on the ER6.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Seat Lock Suggestions Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
So the pins inside the barrel of my seat lock became seized in the retracted position rendering the lock effectively useless with the key. I've removed it after using an inspection camera and wire hook through a gap in the fairing which allowed me to hook onto and pull the cable to unlock the seat.

Anyway the lock barrel is shot (tried plusgas, hear, etc.) and a new one is £60+vat. It's located in a prime place to be filled with crap and salt so it's always been a challenge to keep it free in winter despite regular cleaning and lubrication (the lock not the rest of the mechanism). I'm therefore reluctant to replace it. For the moment I've hooked a cable tie around the cable which runs through the gap in the fairing to allow itmto operate the mechanism.

This works well so rather than putting in a new lock (which would mean another key as well) is rather rig up a more permanent version of the cable tie. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might rig up nicely to the cable? It can run straight out of the fairing gap or at a 90deg angle through the old lock barrel hole.

It's on the ER6.

You're not worried some random might steal your seat as a joke?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Seat Lock Suggestions Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

You're not worried some random might steal your seat as a joke?

Not really; my bikes don't let left alone much in city centres, and when I'm out on a run its usually in the nice parts of Scotland and again not often unattended. My work car park is secure as well

Plus whatever I choose will be fairly well hidden so it would take some examining to find. The seat lock was hardly hard to bypass anyway.

My CX500 doesn't have a lock either, they never did.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removed the lock on my Derbi - Bastarding thing was always sticking in the locked position, left as just a cable pull. Never had an issue.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Removed the lock on my Derbi - Bastarding thing was always sticking in the locked position, left as just a cable pull. Never had an issue.

Did you attach anything to the cable just feed it out? I suppose could use a longer cable rather than attaching something to the existing one. I have a few around.

It was a pain in the ass to remove, took about 3 hrs of trial and error because the space was so tight to work in.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, just stuck it somewhere I wouldn't catch it by accident.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a decent finish - I would suggest something like this hidden behind the fairing and held in place by a bracket of some sort.

https://www.abaris.co.uk/prod/anchor-strops/Lyon-Wire-Anchor-Strops.htm?utm_source=googlemerchant&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googlemerchant&gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-RnTmDDTEw-rZFPwJMQjAK03AosxBLnxdYtWAts5CKCe4cuQOyUm7hoCiRsQAvD_BwE

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 08 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:

Those look like a good option, I'll have a think about that, cheers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 22 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1