Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BHP required for 'normal' riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:48 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
That's what you need for day to day
riding, a good strong pull at any revs and in pretty much any gear. Mine tops out at 11k. But it still pulls HARD at 2k
3k 4k 5k 6k 7k 8k and 9k. TBH if you're going for it, first gear is pretty useless. Laughing

My FZ is pretty much the same - pootle around the city under 4k rpm, but it revs through to about 14k rpm - power starts lacking around 11k-12k rpm.
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:14 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My CB500 had about 48, and that was plenty for me on an unfaired bike. It was enough to keep ahead of the majority of traffic, and to sit on the motorway at 80 without dying on hills. Top end was an indicated 115, but being unfaired you didn't want to sit at more than 80 for a prolonged period anyway.

The EFI Enfield probably has about 25 at the rear wheel, but it's a different riding style/mindset, and one that's more suited to me now. There is the odd occasion I'd like a bit more, so maybe 30 would be nice. The 535 Continental GT has noticeably more oomph over the standard Bullet but it's just the wrong position for me, otherwise I probably would have had one.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 20hp (rear wheel) Inazuma 250 and I find it completely adequate and even quite fun to ride day to day in the city and 50 limit dual carriageways.

I also have an FZ1, the extra power makes me feel a little safer to power out of crappy situations but this isn't too frequent so I'd say ~50HP is plenty.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:09 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have an A2 MT-07 with 47bhp. It's plenty I reckon. I've spent 2 years counting down the days till I could do my full A and buy a R1, but now I'm finally in a position to do it, I find I'm not that fussed.

I like my bike. Think I'll keep it a bit longer. I will get my A though!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:31 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

~50 bhp is enough to beat most cars, but you know your place in the biking world so generally don't bother racing other bikes. It's enough until you need a burst of power on a motorway (at 'normal' motorway speeds).

~100 bhp the temptation's there to be an idiot (traffic light GP).

Not ridden anything more powerful so f**k knows what ~150bhp feels like. On paper it should feel like going from a full power 125 > an A2 bike, but the jump from 50 bhp > 100 bhp doesn't feel that drastic, so I assume the power you can actually utilise decreases. Power modes and rider aids probably limits the amount even more.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:51 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
so f**k knows what ~150bhp feels like.

If you want to see the peak power of (e.g.) a 140hp Z1000SX, you'll get it 63mph in first gear. Beyond that, you're just murdering bigger baskets of kittens.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many of you have mentioned weight or power to weight here though? Does that mean weight and power per kg isn't important but only outright power figures?

Is the above because power and top speed are largely defined together where as power on its own without considering weight has no bearing on acceleration.

The reason I ask is that some light bikes suit lower power engines best, and some 150bhp+ bikes don't feel comfortable or planted or stable and nice and comfy to ride unless they weigh 250kg or more.

Is a 147bhp baggy tired sloppy and wobbly old ZZR1100 as good as a late model circa 147bhp GSXR 750? Does the light bike win as better to ride, or does the heavy stable much less slap happy old sports tourer make better use of it? Is 147bhp from 750cc that revs higher with less torque better than an 1100cc with the same power and a load more torque?

Do you feel the torque difference between them? And do you ride on the road feeling the torque or the peak power as the main feeling from the bike?

Oh and Paddy said 150bhp makes your willy bigger. So does 200bhp turn it into a huge Dang? Or are 150bhp bikes still better road bikes than 200bhp ones? What if your bike is turbo charged to 350bhp, is that OK for road use and your willy, or is it a huge disadvantage?

The thing about the 50-60bhp bike being ok on the motorway at normal motorway speeds 60-90mph? But being crap for suddenly piling on huge levels of acceleration from these speeds, when and where would you need to do that? Does being able to blast from 80-150mph in a few seconds make it safer and more useful for motorway use?

I think people just have preferences and like what they like. There are some people out there that will always choose every bike to have say 120bhp because they think that is what is best, and you won't change their view no matter if one bike was 100kg and the next one was 250kg. Its the same as the people that always buy a 1.6 Golf etc, as they think a set size engine is the best and they don't care or look at kerb weights, aerodynamics or torque figures etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:30 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike puts out about 70bhp, and it's too much for my needs. I'd probably be more than happy with 40bhp, and it would no doubt make me ride like less of a tit.

I've had a go on a Striple, which is about 100bhp, and I found it far too mental for the roads (although many lulz were had).

I'd love to have a go on a 150bhp+ sportsbike, but I'm sure I'd shit myself and it would eventually see me deaded.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:58 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
The thing about the 50-60bhp bike being ok on the motorway at normal motorway speeds 60-90mph? But being crap for suddenly piling on huge levels of acceleration from these speeds, when and where would you need to do that?

When someone wants to pull into the space you're currently occupying.

Weight I see as more of an issue with regards to handling, braking etc..

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 0.7bhp/kg.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:22 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a area poorly understood by a lot of people.

BHP or the other creature that lives inside your engine, FtLbs?

What is more important?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:53 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

When someone wants to pull into the space you're currently occupying.

Weight I see as more of an issue with regards to handling, braking etc..

Is that a reaction to someone pulling out/across lanes in front of you though, or a pre-emptive move in anticipation that they will do so? And how fast are you prepared to go on the motorway to accelerate away out of perceived danger? I don't see many bikes suddenly piling on speed to well over the ton on the daily commute because a car wanted to use the bit of road in front or to the side of them.

It does seem like alot of guys on bikes want a bit of clear motorway to themselves to feel safe enough to ride on them, and maybe think that enough speed and acceleration will allow them to find this bit of personal motorway if they go quick enough?

Should it not also work for car drivers, because someone might pull out in front of them? Maybe everyone should choose a big C63 AMG Mercedes etc if they want to safely drive on motorways? Rolling Eyes

I've driven and ridden on busy motorways where all 3 or 4 lanes are moving at 50-70mph nose to tail and you ain't getting away from that no matter how quick your bike is unless your prepared to split lanes at that speed, which I've said before is a 'you fucking piece of shit' thing to do.

You could easily argue that at 70mph nobody driving in any lane expects a bike to come up passing them between lanes, and especially with all the blind spots between vehicles behind and to the sides of you. In this situation if a fatal accident occurred because a car collided with a bike, is it the drivers fault for not seeing the bike filtering (don't think 70mph is filtering personally), or the bike riders fault for not wanting to choose a lane and sit in it like everyone else?

Oh and the weight thing, are you serious? It has a massive effect on low speed acceleration, but not so much at the speeds where aerodynamics come into play. Is 0-60/70mph not more important in daily riding than what your bike can do 80-120mph in? I guess you could say that any 100bhp bike has sufficient power for to be adequate for most riders in the first increment, whatever it weighs, but a bike under 100bhp might not be rapid enough in the second increment though?

I do agree that weight is a big factor in handling and braking though, but you can't say a heavy bike can't handle or use its power as well, as sometimes weight makes a bike more stable and feel planted instead of skittish and unstable. Its the same logic as long low bikes are faster in a straight line away from a standstill as they can use more power if they have the grip, than short bikes with a higher centre of gravity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:59 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

What is more important?

That's a very subjective question

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:08 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

What is more important?

You've bought graphs into it though now, and thus I expect G to be along anytime soon! Laughing

One point about power that most people don't talk about when saying they think X bhp is best for road riding is, where is that power produced.

For example say you have a 1000cc sportsbike that makes 180bhp (crank) for arguments sake, and at 12000rpm, and Revs to 13000rpm.

But what if you had the same bike same engine size and weight, but it makes the 180bhp at 9000rpm, and has say 90% of maximum power at 7500-10500rpm. I'd expect bike number two to be the real world every day faster and more useful machine, while ultimately no faster in maximum mph I'd expect it to feel much more powerful to ride for the same numbers.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:14 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

What is more important?
Hey that's the graph of my MV....nearasdammit

I asked this same question to some paid bike testers of some 20years or more experience of riding ...well you can guess.

It really does depend.
Where do you want the power and how do you want the torque to tail off or indeed kick in.

When pushed they said about 100bhp but didn't give a figure on torque.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:58 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is that a reaction to someone pulling out/across lanes in front of you though, or a pre-emptive move in anticipation that they will do so? And how fast are you prepared to go on the motorway to accelerate away out of perceived danger? I don't see many bikes suddenly piling on speed to well over the ton on the daily commute because a car wanted to use the bit of road in front or to the side of them.

It does seem like alot of guys on bikes want a bit of clear motorway to themselves to feel safe enough to ride on them, and maybe think that enough speed and acceleration will allow them to find this bit of personal motorway if they go quick enough?

Should it not also work for car drivers, because someone might pull out in front of them? Maybe everyone should choose a big C63 AMG Mercedes etc if they want to safely drive on motorways? Rolling Eyes

It's about having extra power on tap, I don't see how it's hard to understand. And yes it's also an issue in the car (1.6/100 bhp), and I'd ideally like more power for big boy roads.

stevo as b4 wrote:
Oh and the weight thing, are you serious? It has a massive effect on low speed acceleration, but not so much at the speeds where aerodynamics come into play.

I disagree. The CBF1000 I had for a bit was f'ing rapid off the line*, I beat a GXSR1000 that had its front wheel in the air so I assume the guy was trying Razz It didn't pull higher in the revs like I expected it to, but the more I rode it the low-end torque or whatever they call it made sense, the power is actually where you need it.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

I disagree. The CBF1000 I had for a bit was f'ing rapid off the line*, I beat a GXSR1000 that had its front wheel in the air so I assume the guy was trying Razz It didn't pull higher in the revs like I expected it to, but the more I rode it the low-end torque or whatever they call it made sense, the power is actually where you need it.

You can't use that as an example in the weight argument - massively different engines in terms of where torque is produced. I could say that my 125 is quicker off the line than my 100bhp car (which it is, briefly) which shows the opposite but that would also be a poor comparison.

Take a 100kg bike putting out 50hp and then 40kg balast to it and it'll be much slower off the line. Top speed won't change much though it will just take longer to get there.

Doesn't mean a heavier bike can't be quick off the line but it'll require a lot more torque to do so - and it must be delivered at the appropriate point in the rev range. Peak power is pretty irrelevant in isolation there as your example shows.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:29 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power is torque times revs... so the what's more important, power or torque quibble is flawed from the go-get, one is mathematically dependent on the other.

Drill down into that and the question isn't about power vs torque, it's about power delivery, and how much the delivered motive force changes with throttle or revs... in which the shape of the power-curve comes under the spot-light, and the little revelation we aren't so concerned with the 'rated-power', the peak maximum an engine may deliver at wot ad peak power revs, but what, at any actual revs and throttle the engine is pulling it's providing, and how much it may vary around that.

A good example is the lore of 'race pipes'. Slap a free-flow pipe on a sports bike, and the likelihood is that will not help the engine make any more power, and dyno shootouts frequently show that. At best on a 100bhp motor, a full system may help find and extra 5-6bhp on the peak. On the road, rider will swear the increase is far greater... reason being that in gaining that extra 5% ish on the peak, the pipe has actually robbed perhaps 20% in the mid-range; and for most of the time the motor is actually delivering less power to the road..... but.... the rider compensates, uses more throttle and lower gears to get the 'same' delivered power, and when the motor starts to come 'on the pipe' it drives out of that hole in the mid-range much more fiercely to the peak, giving the impression, as the rate of change of power is higher, that they have more power..... it's the same as the legendary two-smokes, with hard-hitting all-or-nothing power-bands. They rarely actually make such huge power... they just give the impression they do, from the rate of change as it comes in..... oft amplified by low-mass around the motor, making it a far more dramatic experience.

Hence a 10bhp tiddler can feel very very frisky and be incredibly 'entertaining' compared to a 100+bhp big-bruiser.

Practically... you need about 3bhp to shove a person sized object through air at around 30mph.... you need around 9bhp to shove same person sized object through air at 60mph; you need around 27bhp, to get same person sized object through air at 90mph.

That covers the 'normal' range of road-speeds, certainly up to and a bit beyond UK-Legal speed limits...... and 30bhp aught be 'enough' for any of them...

Any more, then, and its back to the power-delivery and not peak power but power delivery and throttle response. Whether you want to rev the knackers off the thing in every gear to get at and use the power, or so it on the throttle.

And STILL how dramatic it will 'feel' wont be in how much power the engine may make or how much torque it may have, or even how heavy the bike around it is, or what gearing it's running, but in the power delivery and the 'character' of the bike a whole.

3bhp gives you 30mph, 9bhp gives you 60mph, 27bhp gives you 90mph, 81bhp gives you 120mph 'ish'

So... you dont really 'need' more than a 30bhp bike to cover pretty much all UK speed limits and road conditions.... more just means that you have more 'spare; more often... and it's all back to that charecter and nature of the motorcycle as a whole, not just it's engine, A-N-D your own preferences for achieving the same ends, as far as getting from A to B, and whether you rate the 'drama' of screaming power delivery and the rush of acceleration, in the myriad other drama creators of UK roads from school-run-mums backing off drives at speed to steering-wheel munnchers doing sudden lane switches on the motorway, etc etc.

Dumbing down to provide an specific answer to an unspecific question, anything with 'around' 50bhp power-rating is probably 'enough' for most folk, most of the time.. and the 45bhp provided by the A2 licence, probably isn't far off the mark for that... it's then a case of picking the 'package' that best suits your style, frantic or lazy, single minded or versatile, light and flighty or hefty and planted.

Interesting to note, how as 'emissions' and 'economy' have, over the last quarter century started to drive motorcycle development over either minimal cost or ultimate performance, that the 'center' has seemed to have naturally hovered at around the 75bhp 'rating' mark, and it has been the style and nature of package that's put in that as varied, rather than the motor-rating... and it seems a pretty 'useful' power-rating to have, to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Power output is largely irrelevant, it's what you do with it..

This^+1........... I have a ZX6r and a couple of 250’s and they are all enjoyable to ride.
They just are enjoyable in slightly different ways.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:53 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
You've bought graphs into it though now, and thus I expect G to be along anytime soon! Laughing

I'll get my Gearing Thread boots on.

I'd venture to guess that I use as much power on my Ninja 250 over a typical commute as I do on my 800. Sure, it only peaks at 30, but I get up there far more often, as opposed to riding the lazy low down torque on the tractor. They're both enjoyable, depending on my mood.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Penny Coin Penny Coin <<<Those look quite pert.

2up or solo....I much prefer the 83hp and 62 ftlb of torque.

From my house to say Ruth's house, I preferred the 27hp 250cc. It barely has any straights long enough and is flat as a witches tit.

From my house to say Andy's, then the 83hp pulls me up the hills with ease.

From my house to the moon...I take the 190hp bike.

So yes power is relevant.

The hugely overweight chap on his 125 scooter I occasionally see on his commute...That bloke needs moar...More power...more seat space...more wind protection....more pies.

Stirring gearboxes gets quite boring if it is your daily ride..smaller engines always wanting their oil changed...grumble.

Bigger engines ..well apart from losing your licence before you've made 3rd gear...they're just better for everyday riding.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
My Penny Coin Penny Coin <<<Those look quite pert.

2up or solo....I much prefer the 83hp and 62 ftlb of torque.

From my house to say Ruth's house, I preferred the 27hp 250cc. It barely has any straights long enough and is flat as a witches tit.

From my house to say Andy's, then the 83hp pulls me up the hills with ease.

From my house to the moon...I take the 190hp bike.

So yes power is relevant.

The hugely overweight chap on his 125 scooter I occasionally see on his commute...That bloke needs moar...More power...more seat space...more wind protection....more pies.

Stirring gearboxes gets quite boring if it is your daily ride..smaller engines always wanting their oil changed...grumble.

Bigger engines ..well apart from losing your licence before you've made 3rd gear...they're just better for everyday riding.

^^ A good answer imo. Like I said, depends largely on where you ride. I can only afford one bike, so I want something with a good dollop of power/torque/whatever. The Fazer is a very good compromise, especially since upgrading the suspension. The engine characteristics mean there is plenty on tap lower in the rev range - it'll pull cleanly from about 2k rpm, and strongly from anything much above. You can leave it in top all day. But it has a good shove at 7k rpm. So you can ride it lazily, or you can be more aggressive, depending on the situation and your mood. It has a little under 140rwhp, which is plenty for me, but it's all about how it delivers it.

I've had bikes that were good at being purely fun - RG500, tuned YPVS350, tuned 750H2 etc. But I couldn't live with them as only bikes from day to day, because of the varied riding I like to do - fast A roads, twisty lanes, steep mountain roads, town traffic, motorway blasts. So the question isn't just one of power, as has been suggested by many posters here. And it's unlikely that everyone can agree on one solution. We all want different things from our biking experience.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

What is more important?

I'm a torque addict, I like torquey cars too usually. . It's fair to say I've replaced more clutches than a typical car
driver would have over the years. Laughing My old Fabia VRS 1.9tdi was rolling roaded and gave figures of 182bhp and
297.7lb/ft @2718rpm. It had a couple of new clutch/dmfs in 4 years @£600 each inc labour, it understeered like a mother
until I tricked out the suspension components with upgrades and a RARB. Torque addiction can be very expensive. Laughing

The Swift is a big departure from my normal choice of car, but I have to say it drives more like a motorcycle than any
car I've owned previously. It loves to rev, and the clutch has so much feel. It's light too.

Back to bikes.
Here be a graph of a stock MT09, more of a torque line than a curve. Twisted Evil More or less all of it, more or less all of the time. Thumbs Up Lovely.

https://www.cycleworld.com/sites/cycleworld.com/files/styles/1000_1x_/public/import/embedded/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/2016-Yamaha-FZ-09-Dyno-Chart-590x332.jpg?itok=6ugx_6EM

Last edited by grr666 on 15:46 - 10 Mar 2018; edited 2 times in total

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
My CB500 had about 48, and that was plenty for me on an unfaired bike. It was enough to keep ahead of the majority of traffic, and to sit on the motorway at 80 without dying on hills. Top end was an indicated 115, but being unfaired you didn't want to sit at more than 80 for a prolonged period anyway.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
M.C wrote:

You can't use that as an example in the weight argument - massively different engines in terms of where torque is produced. I could say that my 125 is quicker off the line than my 100bhp car (which it is, briefly) which shows the opposite but that would also be a poor comparison.

Take a 100kg bike putting out 50hp and then 40kg balast to it and it'll be much slower off the line. Top speed won't change much though it will just take longer to get there.

Doesn't mean a heavier bike can't be quick off the line but it'll require a lot more torque to do so - and it must be delivered at the appropriate point in the rev range. Peak power is pretty irrelevant in isolation there as your example shows.

Why can't i? If ~40kg dramatically kills acceleration then why is there only a tenth or two difference? Yes a 130kg motorcycle and 1200kg car would be a bad example Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 49 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7