Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BHP required for 'normal' riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need the power of my street for normal legal riding but I didn't buy it for that.
I'm gonna say 60 to 70 horses would be enough to satisfy everyday requirements plus enough on the odd occasion where you need to get out of jail.
Had I needed something for normal everyday riding, i think a Versys or something similar would have been my choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ain't that the point though, and someone spitting out the truth that it's about wants and desires not needs or usefulness or must have essentials.

I once wanted to buy a V4 500cc bike as a project over 15years ago, and nearly ended up with something similar, but I never needed an old bike that wouldn't handle for shit compared to my ZX6R, and only did 22mpg. It was because I wanted the look, the sound and the silliness of four smoking pipes sticking out the back.

I've done around 5000miles on a CB500 and 10000miles on a ZX6R, and I can honestly say that the twin had a better engine around town and more low down drive that was useful and suited alot of commuting situations far better too.

As an aside, I rode a 1000cc V-twin for a while too, and on paper it was 2bhp up on the 600, and 20kg heavier. But it was slimmer and felt smaller. Also though it was 10mph down on top end speed, riding it felt like it had 30bhp or more over the 600. That's my example of character not relating to bhp, and it's why I don't think putting much weight on numbers is appropriate to what is necessary or ideal for road riding parse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:32 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Oh and I've ignored it and thought better of it so far, but sorry Biker7 your pretty much full of shit tbh! Read how your posts come across as you sitting on some overlooking pedestal on your just under 200bhp sports tourer.

You seem to think that until someone rides owns and fully maxes out a litre sports bike on the highway that they are pussies, and that you have mastered every bike up to 1000cc so now your a 1300cc king.

For someone obsessed with numbers, he's not very good with them.

The answer we were looking for is: 21,361 is about 1/5th of 105,467. 22,421 is closer to 1/6th of 128,644.

That is not "most".

On the available evidence, most bikers do not "progress through the ranks" to litre+ bikes.

Perhaps we're using some self referential definition, like all real bikers ride litre bikes, and only litre bike riders are real bikers. Folded arms

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:43 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Perhaps we're using some self referential definition, like all real bikers ride litre bikes, and only litre bike riders are real bikers. Folded arms

Seems reasonable to me.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real men ride litres?
Ok that sounds like a perfect end thread statement, if only we could find a real man in 2018.

Older people will argue that the real men used to ride big heavy UJM's with skinny crossply tyres, fast and hard. A few years younger people will argue that real men rode Nitrous'd turbo'd GSXR 7/11 fighters with your 200bhp as starting point only.

Question remains, who are the real men, and when did they exist?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who commutes on a bike that doesn’t weigh quarter of a tonne fully fuelled and has over 120ps is a pussy.

Just saying.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:53 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

For the sort of riding I do, and the roads I like to ride a KTM 125 EXC could give me a huge hard on.

Sounds pretty uncomfortable to me! Rolling Eyes For the sort of riding I do, a 125 would be unappealing. Trouble with small nippy bikes is they look and sound like them. It reminds me of a big kid on a tiny stunt bicycle. As we get older we tend to leave the toys behind. Silky smooth, high horsepower bikes that look the business is what appeals to me. That or a nice looking, sounding retro. Each to our own. I used to love small bikes but that was many years ago. Pushing 70 now, I've moved on a bit. Main thing is to stay on 2 wheels. I have owned about 40 cars but non gave me as much pleasure as my 49cc moped I bought for £15 in 1966! Some may knock the Busa but for me it's one of the most exciting vehicles on the planet. As for winning the Lottery....hmm a nice £30k Ducati sports, superfast and light - just the job for a delinquent pensioner.
As for normal bhp....no thanks! Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I've had a couple of 1l+ bikes, and if I'm honest, I have, by far, the most fun on large singles, 2t (KX500 etc) and 4t (XT660 etc). Anyone who thinks you have to have a 1L+ bike and thrash it on the road is compensating for something really small.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:24 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^So what's the problem with having a rocketship. a plodder and a screamer?
Brilliant if you've found the '1' but I quite like the choice...and no complaints about my penis..well put it this way...you wouldn't want it up your bum.

So to answer the question, the right size of bike is the right size of bike that is right for you...right, and riding different bikes informs.

I've yet to ride a powerful MX 2 stroke and a big adventure bike...and a cruiser...oh and a sidecar outfit.

The real men and women are those that have ridden pretty much everything in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

The real men and women are those that have ridden pretty much everything in my opinion.

I'm not a real man. I'm just a big, overgrown kid, and may it stay that way till I pop me clogs Very Happy

M.C wrote:
I thought the suspension was considered a weak point of the striple and your Fazer had R1 forks? Smile

You still seem to be having difficulty putting good handling and 200+kg together. I can understand that. It sounds wrong. Before I upgraded the Fazer's suspension, I'd have said it was wrong. You'd think that owning it alongside a Striple, I'd still say it was wrong. But the topic under discussion is about what's best for the road. Maybe if we were talking an ideal road, with never a bump or other imperfection, I would have preferred the Striple. But since moving too far from Wales to be able to ride there regularly, I don't have that luxury*. And since I like to ride in mountain regions too, where the road surfaces are often pretty far from ideal, I prefer something that isn't unduly affected by sub-standard surfaces. In short, I want the best compromise, and that's what I find the Fazer to be. And yes, it does confuse me sometimes when I'm thinking about it, but there you have it. I think my modified Fazer is a better road bike overall, although I do admit some of that is down to personal taste too. And that is perhaps why no one can give the OP a definitive answer. There isn't one, because we're all different, and what you like is an indispensable part of the equation.

*Although I also would prefer the Fazer for there, as I enjoyed riding the faster A roads most, and the Fazer was great on those long, sweeping bends - I'd have found the Striple lacked oomph for that. In fact, I can understand why litre sports bikes are so popular there.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^So what's the problem with having a rocketship. a plodder and a screamer?

Nothing, it's the cocksockets that think that if you haven't got one, you're scared of one. You have a few bikes. No issue with that, they all have their niches. I'll be doing the same, as and when the missus gets her head around it.

I had a ZZR110 when it was still the fastest production bike available, and even now they're still fairly respectable. Did Europe, Faro, found out what it could really do on the Autobahn etc (and got left standing at about 150 by something 4 wheeled). Had one of the first Aprilia Mille's, but found it a handful to get about on unless you were into deeply illegal speeds, didn't like. Played about on a Hayabusa, but the styling looks too melty for my eyes, despite it's nice manners. The V-max was much fun until you try to chuck it into a corner.

But *for me*, I still get a better sense of, I dunno, happiness? contentement? whatever.... when being silly at legal-ish speeds on a silly 'little' 1cyl bike. Although I can easily "go fast", I feel I don't *need* to anymore.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diversity...can't knock it. The brother-in-law has settled with his Harley, so much so that he actually rides it.
Daft sod. Laughing

Then again I'm daft, I ride that F4 and I swear I can hear it laughing at me. I say 'Shall we overtake th....' We have already overtake...what you want do next old fart?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:07 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the 1000cc thing. Didn't really get on with it.

I felt like it took a bit of a moment of clarity to realise that bikes with 150bhp + just aren't as much fun unless you basically disregard the possibility of being caught, of crashing, of dealing with modern road conditions and traffic.

Sure, you can use them on the road but you're forever looking over your shoulder, you're forever reigning in your right wrist, you're forever keeping an eye out for police cars, speed cameras etc.

With a 100bhp bike you can just about hammer it and just about get away with it. I still think my Street Triple is a little bit too much considering it only weighs about 165kg with 107bhp. It has a power to weight ratio equal to an early FireBlade.

I'm comfortable with the fact that I prefer smaller bikes. When I was younger I'd have laughed it off and assured everyone that I wanted a 1000cc sportsbike and that's what I would ride daily, but I felt there was definitely an element of my own ego in there. Now I'm a bit more mature, I can accept that I'm actually having a better time on a smaller capacity lower powered bike. That said, 107bhp is still a fair amount in a bike that weighs as little as my Street Triple, and I do still have to be careful. But then again, maybe that's why I own a KR1S.

Nobody needs a 1000cc sportsbike, particularly not a modern one, and to say you can use it to the fullest on the road would be a lie. In fact, to say you can use it to the fullest on the track is a lie unless your name is Jonny Rea or something. Nobody needs it, nobody can use it, and so as long as you admit that you just like having the power, like the idea of it, like the image it gives or whatever other reason you want to give, then it's fine. To say you need that final 50, 60, 70, 100bhp is a bit of self delusion I think.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full potential isn't just about using all of a bike's power though, not in my book anyway.

I like the flexibility the capacity gives me. I like its planted feel*. I even like the fact that to get the best out of it, I have to put something into riding it. I enjoyed the Striple. It was a hoot. But if I had to sell one, as I did, that was always going to be the one that would go.
I'd love to still be in a position where I could afford to try this or that other, different bike. I know I would enjoy many varied things. But for single bike ownership, I've never been happier.**

*M.C, insert hedge jokes here Laughing
**M.C, insert food stamp jokes here Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:31 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find less than 70bhp fails to generate the fun factor and more than 120bhp is all but unusable on the road without risk of quadra-spaz or prison bummage.

Between the two, I'm more interested in stuff like smoothness, fuelling and midrange grunt.

Golgarth
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode an awful KLE500 around and I don't care what you say, you NEED more power than that to have fun. In reality I think my Tiger 800 hits the mark just right. I would sometimes like more power (who wouldn't really) but it's just enough speed to make good progress when needed, but, crucially, not so powerful that you can't use the power when you want to.

I guess it might be more to do with power/weight. I know I love acceleration, but wouldn't just put a massive rear sprocket on for fast acceleration and no top end.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:31 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golgarth wrote:
I rode an awful KLE500 around and I don't care what you say, you NEED more power than that to have fun.

That's the engine that Kawasaki managed to tune all the fun out of though, before throwing it in a bouncy, plank seated package. I'm not sure the raw numbers are the problem there.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a Bandit 600 that would scream and wail (Carbon Can Co exhaust), never felt happy with it.
NTV 650 less horse power, no need to wring the nuts off to get anywhere, leaves me grinning all the time.

Sometimes less is more!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:
I thought the suspension was considered a weak point of the striple and your Fazer had R1 forks? Smile

You still seem to be having difficulty putting good handling and 200+kg together. I can understand that. It sounds wrong. Before I upgraded the Fazer's suspension, I'd have said it was wrong. You'd think that owning it alongside a Striple, I'd still say it was wrong.

My point was more you're comparing a bike built down to a price, to one you had upgraded with bits from a top of the range sports bike. And on the subject of sports bikes, why are they generally lighter than the naked variants? I know they're more expensive so they can afford to use more exotic materials, but why bother to shed 30kg if it doesn't make any difference?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
And on the subject of sports bikes, why are they generally lighter than the naked variants? I know they're more expensive so they can afford to use more exotic materials, but why bother to shed 30kg if it doesn't make any difference?

It'll make a difference on track, where a lot of people take their sports bikes. My personal view is that this isn't always ideal on the road though, because of the less than ideal conditions most have to deal with every day.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
It'll make a difference on track, where a lot of people take their sports bikes. My personal view is that this isn't always ideal on the road though, because of the less than ideal conditions most have to deal with every day.

Do they? Smile My view is they're all compromised, to get something that's actually getting close to a real race bike costs big money: https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/bmw-hp4-race-–-full-details-revealed (or the Honda RC12674.4 whatever it is called).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:59 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Do they? Smile My view is they're all compromised, to get something that's actually getting close to a real race bike costs big money: https://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/bmw-hp4-race-–-full-details-revealed (or the Honda RC12674.4 whatever it is called).

Not sure what you're getting at there.
And what is a "real race bike"? There are privateer and production classes still, aren't there? And track days have become ever more popular over recent years.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:38 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
And track days have become ever more popular over recent years.

https://i.imgur.com/cSty7X7.png

I'm not disbelieving, I just can't find figures.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
M.C wrote:

Not sure what you're getting at there.
And what is a "real race bike"? There are privateer and production classes still, aren't there? And track days have become ever more popular over recent years.

That even top end road bikes (S1000RR/R1) are a long way from the bikes being raced to sell more bikes.

Don't people who are heavily into track days have track bikes? I doubt they go into a dealership and drop 15k on a bike they'll rag and probably drop.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 18 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track bikes are generally Cat C/B bikes that people can "afford" to fling into to a gravel trap.

Know of a few people battering round on mid 00's CBR's and ZXR's.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 12 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7